Using LightwaveRF with Solar PV system like Solar iBoost Box does.

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Forum Support > Using LightwaveRF…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Forum Support Using LightwaveRF with Solar PV system like Solar iBoost Box does.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Grunthos 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
     muttonchops says:

muttonchops
    Participant

Has there been any support provided in the LWRF product range for a Current Transformer that clamps around the cable into the Electric Meter and senses current flow and direction that can be used to rf signal to LWRF Control when Excess Solar PV output is being Exported.
    I would like to be able to tap into that exported electricity and run a dehumidifier FOR FREE whilst the sun shines.
    It would be like the LWRF of a Solar iBoost box, except LWRF could switch on remote sockets wherever needed.
    The downside with Solar iBoost is its fixed location usually near an immersion heater.
    I want LWRF to do the same but allow the freedom to locate any device and use the free solar anywhere in the house!
    LWRF Designers, this could be a nice little earner if you can create something that will do this!

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

I very much doubt that there’s support from the LWRF product range per se.
    However, will an lwrf electricity meter work connected to your downlink power read anything useful? If so, you could detect the current from, say, a raspberry pi and use that to send a udp command to your link box to control the humidifier.

(just thinking out loud…)

muttonchops says:

muttonchops
    Participant

Thanks Grunthos, I’m wasn’t thinking of buying a Raspberry Pi, although I could but would need to come up to speed on a lot of stuff to get to your starting point suggestion. I thank You nontheless for your input.

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

I have the energy data aquisition (writing to a mysql db) and the udp generation in place running on a raspberry pi zero w at a cost of around £14 and very pleased with it.
    But you are right: there is a learning curve :)

muttonchops says:

muttonchops
    Participant

I have the output from my system and all data online to reference including live graphs and historic data.
    Its that ability to tap into LWRF and use the free power for those unmanaged tasks like de-humidifying different rooms in the winter when energy is free from my pv system is my goal.
    I have a Heath-Robinson clunky system using the Solar iBoost, a Sun Switch, A lamp and an AC 240v Omron relay that I can harness but it requires me to make it mobile to make it useful, as it is it remains in my garage drying that out as and when the sun shines, not a lot lately….?
    But I looking forward to the day when I am optimistic! :)

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

If you have access to the data, tapping into lwrf is pretty simple through the udp api. Have a read through this:
    https://api.lightwaverf.com/introduction_basic_comms.html

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.