USA Swann CCTV Kit in UK/Ireland

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     danielgalvin says:

danielgalvin
    Participant

Hi,

I’m looking to buy this Swann DIY CCTV kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swann-SWHDK-482004-US-HDR4-8200-4-Channel-1080p-SDI-DVR-4-x-SHD-870-Cameras-/271490314511?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item3f3615710f

It’s a lot cheaper from the US than UK. I’m just wondering if I will have trouble with the power supply using it in Ireland and if so if there is anything I can use to convert the power?

Thanks,
    Dan

Dave says:

Dave
    Participant

Hi Dan,

You could possible run it on a step-up transformer but more importantly it broadcasts NTSC and not PAL.
    If you are only using it from an app or web browser that should be ok but it’s a no go for television.

-Dave

LWRF, RFXCom on RPi, Domoticz, Heatmiser, Micasaverde Vera Lite and AlertMe all running in harmony(ish).
     Dave says:

Dave
    Participant

Also, keep in mind that you may get hit with import tax!

I’ve never been ‘caught’ but my father once got an invoice from Customs and Excise a month after an item he’d bought was delivered.

-Dave

LWRF, RFXCom on RPi, Domoticz, Heatmiser, Micasaverde Vera Lite and AlertMe all running in harmony(ish).
     danielgalvin says:

danielgalvin
    Participant

@Dave thanks for the reply. EBay now include import charges upfront via a third-party who manage the customs. So you can tell upfront the total cost – this is the only reason I’m considering buying this stuff from the US.

Any chance to can direct me to a step-up transformer?

Also, if the TV supports NTSC – that won’t be a problem will it?

Dave says:

Dave
    Participant

Hi Dan,

Oh cool, I was unaware of the change on ebay.

This is the kid of thing you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200W-VOLTAGE-CONVERTER-TRANSFORMER-STEP-UP-DOWN-TRAVEL-PLUG-BOX-110V-240V-/231229541547?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item35d65accab

I would check with the vendor of the cctv equipment though as you’d need to know exactly what it’s power requirements are.
    My system uses one PSU for the cameras and one for the DVR – I suspect the Swann is the same so you’d need to make sure that the whichever tranny you buy can hand the combined load.

And yes, if the TV supports NTSC you should be good to go.

-Dave.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.