Two Wifi Links, or maybe the signal booster?

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Two Wifi Links, or…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Two Wifi Links, or maybe the signal booster?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jemhayward 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     jemhayward says:

jemhayward
    Participant

I have a combination of BBSB and LWRF devices in my house. My house is actually two buildings about 15m apart with 1m thick ironstone walls. As you can imagine, wifi signals don’t get through the walls, and the windows are all glazed with thermally insulated glass, so radio signals don’t get through there either! There is a wired ethernet network common to both buildings. My BBSB system has two online controllers, one in each building, each with their own fixed IP address, so UDP commands to the BBSB system trigger both units and I can then control things in both buildings. I have a WiFiLink in one of the buildings, and i have bound its MAC address to a specific IP address, and use both the lwrf.cmd script and the web/android apps to control stuff, but the WiFiLink can’t get commands anywhere near to the other building. If I installed a second WiFiLink in the other building, bound to a different IP address, would commands sent via one also get picked up by the other? If I ran two scripts each addressing the specific IP address of the controller I wanted to talk to, would that work (I could live with that). I am assuming that the web app and android app wouldn’t be able to cope with more than one WiFiLink, and I think I’d need to set up a second account for each WiFiLink at lightwaverf.com as well. Has anyone tried this?

The other option is the signal booster – I have a feeling it won’t get it’s signal through the walls though… anyone tried one in a similar situation?

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

I’m not familiar with BBSB (what is it by the way?) but moved from X-10 to LWRF several years ago (mainly to do away with the need to have a computer running all the time) and problems only arose when I tried to extend the control into a second building. I had problems with my original Link reaching the further reaches of my property no matter where I placed it and although the booster worked in one direction (placed between the Link and the relevant device) this left a problem with a device in the opposite direction; I had been told that you can only have one booster per Link although I haven’t tested the truth of this. My problem was partly old stone walls but also distance.
    Eventually I bought a second Link and redistributed the two for optimum coverage, one in each building. The first Link (old model) connects directly to my router and the second (new model) via an Ethernet over Mains Homeplug:
    My experience so far:

1. You do need a separate account for the second link. This is a nuisance since it involves logging in and out of the App or the Web manager to switch between the two but is workable. The old App made switching between Accounts (they called them locations) much easier and I have passed back to the software people that this would be a useful thing to restore

2. A LWRF device within ‘reach’ of both Links can pair with two Links and receive and respond to commands from either. So far I have not encountered ‘rogue’ responses with a device paired with one Link responding to a command to a different device from the other Link. I could not completely exclude this since even with a single Link odd reactions do occasionally occur.

3. I use DemoPad as a convenient front end to the system since it is flexible and although I haven’t tested this it should be able to discriminate between the two Links and send commands accordingly since it generates UDP signals based on LWRF syntax and specifies the IP address of the originating Link (which presumably is then identified as the source of the command).

I fear I can’t comment on the query about scripts which I presume relate to the BBSB system. Hope the rest is of use.

jemhayward says:

jemhayward
    Participant

(belated) many thanks for your reply – very re-assuring that I have a future with LWRF. BBSB is derived from Bye Bye Standby, which was developed by Byron, and is linked with the Harmony home control software. BBSB is essentially the same concept as LWRF, operates on the same frequencies and I suspect that the protocols are similar. The early incarnations of BBSB had hard coded addresses for each device, like B15, A10 and so on which made designing a system rather easier, as you knew what you were talking to. However, I do accept that the ‘market’ expects something a bit simpler than ‘geeks’ like me!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.