Two WiFi Links in the same house, same network

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Two WiFi Links in the same house, same network

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AlexS 6 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     SimonCatlin says:

SimonCatlin
    Participant

According to the Wi-Fi link manual, you can have two Wi-Fi links on the same network, as long as they are ethernet attached. The purpose of this is to make sure you have range.

Detail of how they operate are limited. i.e. Do they share the same database or does the second link just radiate the signals from the first. If one fails, will the other one take over, even if it is not plugged into the router for internet in bound instructions (doubt this as it is MAC identified)?

Anyone using two WifI links?

2 WiFi, 2 sockets, 11 light switches (7 single, 4 double), 2 mood controllers, 1 double wire free switch, 6 plug in on/off, 3 plug in dimmer, 2 PIR, 2 LED, 1 300W Inline relay, 2 signal booster, 1 Energy Monitor and 1 very patient wife. Also Heatmiser's Neo, Ring Bell, Ring Camera, Nest Protect, Canary...
     steven says:

steven
    Participant

I can’t see how this would work, looking at the way the communication protocol works.

Basically – both wifi links will receive the commands and convert them to RF, which as there’s no status checking could lead to collisions. As far as the wifi links are concerned, you have a house with 8 rooms, 6 devices in each room. It doesn’t care what labels you set for each room or device.

ant says:

ant
    Participant
    "steven":85re16jo wrote:

Basically – both wifi links will receive the commands and convert them to RF, which as there’s no status checking could lead to collisions

Not if the devices are sufficiently far apart, which would be the case in the intended "providing coverage" use case. Even so, two wifilinks might not necessarily collide; transmitters typically wait until the band is quiet before they transmit (‘clear channel assessment’), and check that what they’re radiating matches what they thought they were transmitting (‘collision detection’). Chuck in a bit of exponential backoff in your transmission times, and you’re laughing.

I’m boring everyone, aren’t I?

SimonCatlin says:

SimonCatlin
    Participant

Regretfully, had it confirmed that it is not possible currently.

2 WiFi, 2 sockets, 11 light switches (7 single, 4 double), 2 mood controllers, 1 double wire free switch, 6 plug in on/off, 3 plug in dimmer, 2 PIR, 2 LED, 1 300W Inline relay, 2 signal booster, 1 Energy Monitor and 1 very patient wife. Also Heatmiser's Neo, Ring Bell, Ring Camera, Nest Protect, Canary...
     AlexS says:

AlexS
    Participant
    "SimonCatlin":1db6qmah wrote:

Regretfully, had it confirmed that it is not possible currently.

We will be able to do it very soon though. Our hardware engineer John reckons that with a couple of clever software upgrades on the wifi link we will be able to achieve this now quite simply (i hadn’t realised that this was not currently possible as it was always the intention to do it and i personally had never tried it) i will keep you updated when the upgrade is in place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.