Strange patterns in temperature and electrical usage graphs

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Strange patterns in temperature and electrical usage graphs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  michael ward 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Neil_turbo says:

Neil_turbo
    Participant

Hi all

I have notice a few strange repeating patterns on the graphs on data dashboard and wondered if anyone else has noticed the same?

Temperature
    I seem to hit a minimum temperature of 14.7 degrees every night, even when i move the thermostat, when i get up, still 14.7!

above this everything seems OK, but i’m not convince 14.7 is really the coldest my house gets…..

Electricity,
    I seem to be getting a spike in usage every 30 minutes

I wouldn’t have though any devices would do this to such an extent (c.1000 watt spike)

has anyone else had anything similar?

Thanks all!!!

Neil

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     michael ward says:

michael ward
    Participant

It looks like your setback temperature is set rather high imho. I have mine set to around 7 degrees, then use the controller to set the minimum heat I require.

As with all heat systems there is always going to be a lag between when the heat turns on and when it turns off, there is also going to be overshoot.

I can easily see from your graph that the setback temperature is set at 14.8 degrees, which is why you have that base line at 14.8.
    Look at the grey line, this is your chosen heat settings, which goes between the set back temperature and the on temperature required. In your case this is 18 deg C.

The red line is what your heating is doing in response to the thermostat (blue line)

I can clearly see that you are thinking that turning the heat on for a short period will save you money, but this only leads to a colder environment and does not save you much.

If you look on the 29th the first heating is on way too short and does not heat the building to the required temperature (18deg) it may peak at 17 deg but by this time the heating has been turned off, and the temperature starts to drop. This is why when you see the thermostat drop below your set back temperature (14.8 deg) the heating turns on again which boosts the temperature to 16 deg. Not long after the heating turns off the heating timer then comes back on and you have to hit the boost because you didn’t heat the property up properly earlier, which just wastes money. You would be better off turning the first timer on for longer.

Sorry I can’t see much with regards to times so I don’t know over what period you are loosing the heat.

As far as the energy monitor is concerned, it looks like you have something turning on and off regularly which draws a lot of power, maybe an electric heater/ storage heater, then you add to that when you get up in a morning around 6:30 AM turning kettles/toasters other electrical devices including lighting on as well.

You need to expand the graphs to show a period of one day for the heating and expand the electric graph so that you can see how long the spike really is.

michael ward says:

michael ward
    Participant

Second thought on this, spikes are usually motor oriented, which would lead to the assumption that this is either a fridge or freezer that is faulty in some way.
    The regularity of the spike could be the turn on spike of the compressor motor starting up.

Expanding the graph should show the problem more clearly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.