Some help choosing the right product…

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Some help choosing…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Some help choosing the right product…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AlexS 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     Ross says:

Ross
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve decided to take the plunge and LightwaveRF my home.

I’m going to get a ‘leccy’ in to do all the wiring up, but I want to make sure I purchase the right products. I’m in a new build, and most of the light switches are fairly straight forward. However, my living room/kitchen light switch is a bit more complicated and I’m not sure if it can be replaced.

It’s a ’4-gang’ socket (although one of the switches is ‘flat’ and unused). The first two switches control the GU10 halogen spot lights in the kitchen (4 bulbs on the first switch, 6 on the second switch), the next switch is the unused one, and the final switch is a dimmer for the 4 standard 60w bayonet bulbs in the living room.

I’ve pulled the front off the light switch and this is what it looks like (click for full size):

Will the standard 3-gang LightwaveRF switch be able to replace this?

ant says:

ant
    Participant

I think your problem here is going to be the 4x60W circuit, which exceeds the maximum load of 1 gang of a three gang dimmer (each gang is 210W I believe?)

You don’t mention the load of your halogen circuits, but you can do the same calculation for those.

As for your options…..can you put the incadescents on a separate dimmer? The single gang dimmer (again, from memory) is rated at 250W. Alternateively, can you replace those bulbs with LWRF compact flourescents? Or dimmable CFLs?

Ross says:

Ross
    Participant

Hi blowback,

Yes, I could easily replace the bulbs with dimmable compact fluorescent lamps, if that’d make it work. So if I did that, do you think the 3-gang LightwaveRF switch would be suitable?

Tissy says:

Tissy
    Participant

BlowBack is correct, single dimmers are rated at 250W with triple and quads being rated at 210W.

Be mindful of the GU10s also, if you have 6 of them and they are normally rated at 50W each, that totals 300W and is well in excess of your limit.

Have a look at my entry here and that may be of some assistance in replacing your GU10s.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=175

AlexS says:

AlexS
    Participant
    "Ross":1fcxi29a wrote:

Hi blowback,

Yes, I could easily replace the bulbs with dimmable compact fluorescent lamps, if that’d make it work. So if I did that, do you think the 3-gang LightwaveRF switch would be suitable?

You could certainly use a 3 gang switch to achieve what you are suggesting; however, as others have pointed out loading may be a problem where you have the 6 bulbs on one circuit. As a solution I would use dimmable leds (see the led bulb thread for bulb recommendations) as dimmable cfls are a bit temperamental and do not always work with the dimmers properly. The leds are also a direct replacement for your spots as they come in a gu10 fitting and you should then have no problem with the loading (and a considerable energy saving).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.