Socket Stuck On?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
     ScubyD says:

ScubyD
    Participant

Just wondering if anyone else has had a socket that’s just suddenly stuck on? The blue light is on, the socket works, and pressing the button doesn’t turn it off. It can’t be turned off by any RF controllers either. The physical button DOES work though, because i can put it into pairing mode.

Assuming that my only option is to get a replacement, but wondered if anyone has had similar before I do?

Note also that this is a very infrequently used socket, probably once or twice a week on average, and is less than a year old.

David

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Do these sockets employ a relay?

I’d assume they do, might the load contacts have stuck close/welded?

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     markk says:

markk
    Participant

I’ve had a couple do this. Like most electronic equipment it just needed a reboot. Turn it off then on again (from the mains). That should solve it :)

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     PhilC says:

PhilC
    Participant

Was going to say exactly the same as mark, flip the trip switch in the consumer unit, give it a couple of seconds and all should be ok.

Gone in at the deep end and learning with RPI, RFX, Conrad, WiFi link, 5 PIRs, 5 Door sensors, 18 light switches, 22 sockets and 4 Mood controllers all running on Domoticz. Normal comment I get is, whats wrong with just turning on a switch....
     ScubyD says:

ScubyD
    Participant

Thanks all – weirdly, I just got up to try flipping the mains power off, and noticed that the socket has turned off sometime today on its own. Now works as usual again. Odd. But fixed now anyway, thanks!

benj4m says:

benj4m
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m having the same problem. A socket which I just leave on the majority of the time now won’t respond to commands to turn off, either via the smartphone app or pressing the button. The button still works, as I can place it in pairing mode, and I have repaired the device to try from the app, but to no avail.

I’ve tried killing the power from the consumer unit, however when I turn the power back on at the consumer unit, the socket is still blue, and won’t respond!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben.

joelang6126 says:

joelang6126
    Participant

Ive had this with one socket (which i’ve changed many times) for over a year now due to some pc equipment drawing a high load. Its infuriating so ive recently just contacted JSJS designs to see if they can modify one for me or point me to a newer version.

hussein says:

hussein
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udOnIL1ic_U

Happens

http://hussein.jodiyawalla.co.uk/
     joelang6126 says:

joelang6126
    Participant

yip thats it. It needs fixed!

ScubyD says:

ScubyD
    Participant

I’m in the process of trying to get a response from B&Q, as Lightwave / Megaman don’t support those ones (made by Siemens). Don’t particularly want to take them out of the wall (for obvious reasons!) until they guarantee a solution, but not getting anything in response easily. But they’re clearly not of satisfactory quality (a permanent fixture in the home should definitely last more than 18 months!!) and so should be replaced or refunded without too much hassle.

joelang6126 says:

joelang6126
    Participant
     Anne Tuen says:

Anne Tuen
    Participant

I have lived with LightwaveRF sockets for several years and have experienced the socket getting stuck on many many times.
    Most of the time, hard reboot (power off/on) does not fix it.
    I have created a special plug for these incidents.
    a) Wire a plug so live – neutral – earth are all connected together – mega-short
    b) turn off main at consumer unit
    c) put shorting plug into ‘bad’ socket
    d) wait about 5 minutes
    e) remove plug for ‘bad’ socket
    f) turn on consumer unit

I believe that if you just turn off feed then turn on again, there may be a residual charge somewhere which is stopping the relay disengaging, hence the mega-short plug.

If you socket is still ‘bad’ after this, it’s toast, mate.

I have socket which have righted themselves after a period of time – which is weird but too infrequent to spot a pattern.
    The ‘period’ is anywhere between 2 weeks and 3 months
    I have one socket which has been stuck on for 2 years now – nothing clears it.
    I’m glad its stuck on and not stuck off!

Currently, I’m living with 3 sockets stuck on… I have 13 sockets in all so, while annoying, its just a part of the ‘fun’.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

When the socket light responds normally but socket doesn’t turn off (i.e. amber still has power) then the cause is most likely a stuck contact.

That can happen if the load is inductive (like a motor) which can cause arcing across the contacts when the switch is opened and the appliance is on. The contacts get roughened and stick. It is best to switch off a load like this at the device rather than the power socket.

Sometimes removing the socket and giving it a sharp tap can free up the contact.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.