Small Remote to Run an Event

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Waggers 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     Waggers says:

Waggers
    Participant

Having just fitted a relay to my garage door (with grateful advice from forum members), I’m looking for something small enough to fit to my car’s dashboard to act as a remote.

I have to send a ‘stop’ command after opening the door so an ordinary hand-held remote wont work as I have to use an event. I’m loath to use the phone app as I tend to have my phone out of site whilst in the car.

The LightwaveRF on/off/stop switch (JSJSLW826) is, I’m guessing, too big for the dashboard.

The only idea I’ve come up with so far is to power the relay via an on/off socket set. I can then use a hand held remote to open and close the door and then use a different button to power off and on the relay power which will, I hope, will reset the relay to the stop mode.

Has anyone else done anything similar? I don’t want to re-invent the wheel is there’s an elegant solution already out there.

TIA

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

The relay mentioned in this thread:-
    http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/lightwaverf-compatible-rf-relay-modules/
    has a momentary function which would I assume negates the need for the Stop command. As they are capable of learning LWRF commands I would also assume that they can learn from any 433mhz remote.

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

Bit of a long shot, but, the Amazon Voice Remote might work if the Bluetooth signal is strong enough to reach an Echo or Echo Dot in the house?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01GP0NLPE/

jtonline.info
      JSJSLW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer Switch / LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 3 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / Echo Dot / Harmony Companion.
       Waggers says:

Waggers
      Participant

Node Zero: Many thanks for the suggestion – I’ll keep this in mind if I ever get around to motorised curtains!

Jules: Good idea, but it’s too far away for a Bluetooth connection.

I might, eventually, get myself an on/off/stop switch to see if I can use it’s innards to make something.

It’s a shame there isn’t anything like the size of an Amazon Dash button around.

My current work around is an IFTTT Do button on my Android Wear watch which runs a LightwaveRF event (open, wait 3 seconds, stop).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.