Small Remote to Run an Event

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  lonebaggie 6 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
     Waggers says:

Waggers
    Participant

Having just fitted a relay to my garage door (with grateful advice from forum members), I’m looking for something small enough to fit to my car’s dashboard to act as a remote.

I have to send a ‘stop’ command after opening the door so an ordinary hand-held remote wont work as I have to use an event. I’m loath to use the phone app as I tend to have my phone out of site whilst in the car.

The LightwaveRF on/off/stop switch (JSJSLW826) is, I’m guessing, too big for the dashboard.

The only idea I’ve come up with so far is to power the relay via an on/off socket set. I can then use a hand held remote to open and close the door and then use a different button to power off and on the relay power which will, I hope, will reset the relay to the stop mode.

Has anyone else done anything similar? I don’t want to re-invent the wheel is there’s an elegant solution already out there.

TIA

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

The relay mentioned in this thread:-
    http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/lightwaverf-compatible-rf-relay-modules/
    has a momentary function which would I assume negates the need for the Stop command. As they are capable of learning LWRF commands I would also assume that they can learn from any 433mhz remote.

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

Bit of a long shot, but, the Amazon Voice Remote might work if the Bluetooth signal is strong enough to reach an Echo or Echo Dot in the house?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexa-Voice-Remote-Amazon-Echo/dp/B01GP0NLPE/

jtonline.info
      JSJSLW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer Switch / LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 3 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / Echo Dot / Harmony Companion.
       Waggers says:

Waggers
      Participant

Node Zero: Many thanks for the suggestion – I’ll keep this in mind if I ever get around to motorised curtains!

Jules: Good idea, but it’s too far away for a Bluetooth connection.

I might, eventually, get myself an on/off/stop switch to see if I can use it’s innards to make something.

It’s a shame there isn’t anything like the size of an Amazon Dash button around.

My current work around is an IFTTT Do button on my Android Wear watch which runs a LightwaveRF event (open, wait 3 seconds, stop).

michael ward says:

michael ward
      Participant

I have to send a ‘stop’ command after opening the door so an ordinary hand-held remote wont work as I have to use an event. I’m loath to use the phone app as I tend to have my phone out of site whilst in the car.
      TIA

I don’t understand why you have to send a stop command ?

If you are talking about a relay turning on, to open the door, then let the door turn the relay off via a stop-switch. Its the safest method. All you do is wire the relay correctly so that the stop switch is deactivated once the relay drops out. You could even put a changeover relay on so the same command closes the door, with another stop switch when the door is closed.I presume you are using a simple DC motor ?

michael ward says:

michael ward
      Participant

OK I found the original post with a search. Hint : If you post a later subject always try and put a link to the original post so there is a reference.

This may help : http://www.garagedoorremotes.co.uk/pdf/SWS_Seceuroglide_Fitters_Handbook.pdf

Triple relay is a good idea to make it work and is not a problem to have the relay simulate a held key press, however if you need momentary press, because a prolonged key press would cause a programming action, the IFTTT should help there, it just a conditional statement. Your phone does not have to be in sight of the garage as the signal is not a direct connection.

I did see a garage door opener on the IFTTT site which automatically opened the door when the car approached. This would just use geolocation of the phone to check for distance from the garage, then trigger an event, presumably.

lonebaggie says:

lonebaggie
      Participant

I use a Amazon Dash with a combination of a raspberry pi dasher and domoticz

dasher is https://github.com/maddox/dasher is small program that detects the dash and trigger events including ITFFF I use it to trigger moods in lightwave via Domoticz

there is about a 5 second delay as the amazon dash have to wake up and connect to your wifI . At £5 at switch just about the cheapest smart switch you can buy.

Can provide some scripts if interested

michael ward says:

michael ward
      Participant

Looks good but my initial thought was given the full cost, it may may be a little too complicated for this application. Maybe £5 a switch but approx £35 for the pi.
      However a purely hardware derived method could be used, that is far cheaper using a 555 type timer

I haven’t seen that amazon button before. Do you know where the info is, as regards to what the signal output is ?
      I would imagine some sort of serial interface, along the lines of CAN or I2C type framework to identify which device is being pressed.

lonebaggie says:

lonebaggie
      Participant

The Amazon button is marking device to get you buy amazon stuff. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Dash-Button/b?ie=UTF8&node=10833773031.

If you make one order Amazon refunds the £5.00

Basically its a WiFi button . That when pressed calls home (amazon) and buy the stuff on the button. Its quite a sophisticated device.

Since it has to connect to your WiFi network . You can detect when it has been pressed . What dasher https://github.com/maddox/dasher does is trigger an event when the button is pressed.. The lightwaverf API can now support Json calls directly so with a PI Zero W and Amazon dash you have a very cost effective button (< £20) which can talk directly to the Lightwaverf Link

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.