Setting Dusk to Dawn

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ukterry01 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Can somebody please tell me how I set up a dusk to dawn settng.

Thanks.

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

What bits of kit do you have and what are you trying to do?

E.g. Do you have wifi link? Do you have iPhone or Android? Are you switching socket or dimmer ? Do you have a Dusk to Dawn sensor module (http://www.lightwaverf.com/upload/pdf/JSJSLW801_dusktodawnsensor_manual.pdf) ?

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks.

Am using the LightwaveRF WiFi unit, iPhone, iPad, various light switches and sockets, magnetic sensors, PIRs etc. Quite happy with all that but fed up having to change timer settings as the nights get lighter, or rather now darker. It has been suggested to avoid this I use the dusk to dawn approach and I understood it can be configured in the app or in your setup as the app asks for your location in order to determine the approximate timings. I cannot see a setting anywhere that takes advantage of it – am probably missing the obvious. Mainly I want it for lighting. I have a dusk to dawn sensor but wanted to keep that for outside use. If there are no settings in the software then I’ll have to use it and pair it with all relevant switches. Got no real problem doing that, I just thought there was a setting you could use and the software picks up the sunrise and sunset times. The ideal is to use a dusk to dawn setting to switch on the lights but use a timer to switch them off as I would want them off long before dawn.

bwigan says:

bwigan
    Participant

Dusk and Dawn are parameters that you can select when creating a timer. The Location is set in the Comms Settings under Security Settings in the Iphone App. However not sure how accurate it is, I think that LightwaveRF maintain the Dusk and Dawn times through the on-line link.
    So you can create a timer to come on at dusk and go off at say 1am.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks. I have realised now why I could not find the dusk and dawn setting! I have always used the timers and dusk to dawn does not appear as an option there. It does though if I create a sequence and have done that, two, one to switch on at dusk and the other to switch off before I go to bed. I thought it had to be something obvious and so often that is what we never see despite having used the LightwaveRF gear all the time for well over a year!

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

Good that you’re sorted :)

As @bwigan says you need to make sure you set the location under the Settings/Comms section to the town nearest you latitudinally to make sure that it executes as close as possible to dawn/dusk ;)

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Still hitting problems. The dusk to dawn option is not there whether setting up a timer or a sequence on line. If using the IOS app on my iPhone the option to set dusk or dawn is not present when setting a timer and it appeared once when I tried setting up a sequence and no longer appears even after deleting the sequence and starting from fresh. I have no option for dusk to dawn appearing in the app or the software yet it was there on one occasion when I tried to set up. I suspect I better delete the app and re-install.

daedalusminos says:

daedalusminos
    Participant

On the Android app. the dusk/dawn feature is available when scheduling an event (sequence). For example, you may want your kitchen lights to come on at dusk and go off at 11pm:
    Create sequence ’1′ to switch lights on
    Create another sequence (’2′) to turn lights off
    Schedule sequence ’1′ at dusk
    Schedule sequence ’2′ at 11pm

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

I’ve attached a couple of screenshots of what it looks like in the iOS app … it’s under “Make a New Timer” – which is the blue button at the bottom of the sequences section …

You have to set up the sequences (i.e. do command 1 then wait x secs/mins/hrs and then do command two – up to 10 commands). Then you need to set a timer to run the sequence …

There isn’t the option via the Web at the moment …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks. My failing was not to go to the make a new timer section . Will try this.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

I set up a sequence to bring certain lights on and set the timer for the sequence to switch on at dusk. The off time is set to 22:30 for these particular lights. I live in Durham, the nearest city in the app to configure location is Leeds. I set up the time for the lights to come on at dusk and they came on at 19:30 last night. That is not dusk! It is nearer 20:00 for Leeds. 19:30 happens to be the previous time setting which has long been deleted and does not appear anywhere in any settings as an active timer. Something is not happening as it should. Hopefully tonight they will come on at dusk!

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

I’ve just set one up for dusk based on Leeds. Will let you know what happens…

Also did you do the “Reset WiFiLink database” in settings to clear out any old timers?

You can check on the wifi link screen how many timers and sequences you have and how many are active (ie running at that moment).

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

Okay. The timer triggered at about 1944 …

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Thanks. Mine triggered at 19:30 again this evening which is the old setting. I’ll reset the database (again, done it once already) and see if this clears finally the old memories. It has to be that, too good to be true that they come on at 19:30 when that was the old setting and dusk is much later. Will report back – probably tomorrow.

cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

I’ve also found that uploading the new settings to the web seems to help. Not sure why though …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.