Server Retrying

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
     StinkyPete says:

StinkyPete
    Participant

I have the old style LightwaveRF WiFi Link and normally it works well.
    Since upgrading my home router, I’ve noticed that after a few days the display on the WiFi Link says Server-Retrying and anything which uses the portal (e.g. Alexa, Google Home, LightwaveRF web control), etc.) no longer works.
    Rebooting the wifi link gets it working again for another couple of days.
    More interestingly, rebooting ONLY the router also gets the WiFi link back online but again only for a few days.
    The router is a Netgear D6400
    There is nothing in the router logs and nothing being blocked.

I have no doubt this is a router problem, but wondered if anyone has any ideas I could use to work around the problem?
    Has anyone else had similar problems?

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Yes. I have the same issue with old style link. In my case it is caused if there is a temporary outage in the internet connectivity. The link loses its connection and goes into retry but unfortunately the retry logic seems broken and a link or router reset is needed ti get it to connect again.

Fortunately, in my case network outages are pretty rare so this only happens maybe once per 3 months.

I am not aware of any specific work around. If it started happening more often for me then maybe I would monitor the connection and reboot if it goes down.

kmadon says:

kmadon
    Participant

I am having the same problem with an old style Lightwave RF link and my Thomson router. I have not rebooted the the router yet but restarting the Lightwave RF link doesn’t make any difference. It seems to have happened out of the blue with no new system changes. I will try rebooting the router but any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

gusgregory says:

gusgregory
    Participant

SEEMED TO HAVE SOLVED !!

I have had this problem for about 2 years now and it has been progressively getting worse. I have been on the phone to my internet provider as I believed that was the issue. They have not been able to identify any fault. I even bought a new router thinking that would solve the problem.

I have a colleague who also has Lightwave kit and recently upgraded his wifi link to the new Gen 2 one from Apple. So i thought as his “old” was new then my old gen 1 Wi-Fi Link I asked him if I could try that out on my home to see if it solved the problem. When I got his kit I plugged it all and called LightwaveRf to organise the switch over (they have to change the MAC address etc at their end) the chap asked me why I was switching – so I told him the history.

He said well firstly take the power supply from the new Wi-Fi link and plug that in to my old (existing) Wi-Fi Link and that will solve the problem! I said I can’t believe that is the problem – he agreed but said that it had bizarrely worked for others. So I did and sure enough my Link connected again as soon I plugged it in.

Also I have not had an internet drop now for a week – normally it would drop about every 2 days for a short period of time. It has been rock solid ever since I switched the power supply on the Wi-Fi Link! Just to recap I have the old one with the LCD display on it. Only thing I can think of is the power supply was causing the occasional spike which did some strange thing on the Link which in turn caused an issue on the Internet connection. With the increase in times it was happening perhaps the power supply was ultimately on its way out.

So if any of you are still having this issue – it might be worth looking on eBay for the newer power supplies or going to Maplin to get a new one. I will post up here again in a few weeks time with a further update. Strange I know!!

Regards

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

I have started having the same issue with an old (with LCD display) WiFI Link. I have been using a replacement PSU (Bay) for some time after the original blew after an electrical storm. I also have a new link (still Gen 1) but using the power supply from that made no difference.

Did your solution last?
    Do you happen to know the voltage and amp rating of the PSU which worked?

I’m probably going to have to replace the old Link anyway since it is several years old but it would be nice if there were a simpler (or cheaper) alternative.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

The GEN1 link uses a very standard 12V PSU so almost any 12V unit capable of supplying 1A should be a suitable replacement.

The Link1 is rated to take 0.55A max but mine uses < 0.3A.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

Thanks for the information on the PSU. I suspect the Link itself is less than well but it has been in almost continuous use for 5 years and still works as a local hub, even if anything requiring timing or remote access fails.

gusgregory says:

gusgregory
    Participant

I am afraid the PSU change did not make a difference. I have recently done a revamp on my router and udpated the all the ports etc. So am going to wait a few weeks to see if that has changed anything. I am still not convinced that it is my end – but I will keep exhausting things until I can discount all things my side.

I will post back here in a few weeks.

Also you might want to join the Facebook group as there are quite a few active people on that forum and I noted that I lightwave technical person has also joined in an official capacity too. In Facebook the group name is Everything LightwaveRF

Regards

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

For what it’s worth I first noticed the symptoms a couple of weeks ago when I couldn’t switch stuff on remotely. Of course this wasn’t apparent while I was at home but I had noticed some of my timers and events were rather erratic. I thought it might be the router (a Netgear DG834G) and when I got home swapped it for BT HomeHub 4 and that seemed to cure the problem but only briefly snd now the same is happening and timers and events are almost none functional and yesterday the Link was having difficulty getting and holding an IP address. I fear my Link is about to become an ex-link and be replaced with the version without the LCD screen. While the screen was useful in the early days for troubleshooting I realise I hardly need it now, except ironically, when trying to sort out this problem!

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

I would be more inclined to think your problems are more with network set up rather than the link itself.

If it is functioning as a basic local link and sending out local commands OK then that would indicate the basic hardware is OK. It is a fairly simple device so providing it boots and is sort of working then issues are likely to be external.

If the link is having difficulty reaching the central lightwaverf servers then lots of things won’t work including remote operation and timers can be problematic.

Try doing a ping from your network to 0.lwrfqueue.com. This will help establish that your DNS is resolving the address for a cloud server OK and that it can reach it at the basic level.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

Thanks for that suggestion. I pinged the address and got a 42ms ave ping and zero data loss. Also my other Link (the newer Gen 1 without LCD screen) functions fine when accessed remotely.
    This is a newish problem inasmuch as it is consistent; I remember some years ago access to LWRF servers was a bit hit-and-miss but that seemed to pass. I have another Link on order and will see if that works OK. Since I have had my current network configuration for sometime I still suspect something in the older Link although I have no idea what would interfere just with its external network connection. For completeness I have tried a new patch cable and changing the router port connection but to no effect but it has always shown as connected to the router.
    I’ll report back.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

I contacted LWRF about this but they couldn’t explain what was happening since the Link appeared to be online as far as they were concerned. They suggested I send it to them so they could have a look and see if they could track down the problem.

Not wanting to be without my system I bought a new Link and was going to return the old one once the replacement was up and running. I left the old one connected (still showing the ‘server retrying’ message and working locally but not remotely) while I set the new one up. As I completed the registration process of the new link the old one made a connection, the error message went, and the link started showing the correct time. It also now works remotely as well.

I cannot believe this is a coincidence; it suggests that whatever the problem was/is relates to something the old link was waiting for from LWRF server but wasn’t getting and that whatever comes down the line from LWRF server during the registration process was sufficiently non-specific to reconnect the old link to their server as well as the new one.
    I’ve let LWRF support know to see if it gives any insight into why this might have happened and why the error with the old link occurred. I can remember periods several years ago when this inability to connect with the server happened but it always seemed to right itself after a few hours.

I’ll let you know if this state holds and if LWRF come up with a cogent explanation.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

I would certainly be interested in what they have to say to that.

I am currently looking at the possibility of doing a ‘link’ on a raspberry Pi + 433MHz TX. If I do something it would be basic 433MHz link, cloud, devices, timer, events, but not 866MHz / heating.

Doing the local UDP commands in to RF messages out is fairly straightforward as that is well documented.

I have been capturing the traffic between the link and the cloud, and the phone app and the link. It is pretty simple and I think I understand most of it now but I don’t see anything that would explain one link registration helping to get another one going at a low level. Maybe it was something at the cloud end that re-enabled your account somehow.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

On the LWRF Gen 1 Web manager there is an option to re-link your WiFi Link. Top right pull-down menu, second choice is Link, then select the leftmost option (edit).
    I have no idea if this would work but I suspect something of this sort (from the LWRF end, albeit withput their action) was what reconnected mine.
    So far it has remained connected but if it goes back to Server Retrying I’ll give it a go. If you still have an old style Link stuck in Server Retrying it might work.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

This got complicated since my last post. Although the old Link had its remote function restored it transpired that the new Link, although apparently corrected registered and linked only worked locally, not remotely!

I contacted LWRF support and there is at last some resolution and possible explanation. A little while ago I had changed the email address on the old Link on the basis that I would probably have to replace it and wanted to use the same address on the replacement. This appeared to have gone through OK when done on the Web Manager although I hadn’t made the connection with the ‘Server Retrying’ error. It now transpires that address had actually remained connected on the LWRF server to the old Link. When installing the new Link I used that ‘old’ email address and, presumably, this reconnected with the Old Link and restored its remote operation but the new link was now trying to use it as well and couldn’t, hence no remote operation.
    LWRF support have now relinked the correct addresses to the correct Links and all work as they should.
    If anyone experiences the same error it would be worth asking LWRF to check that the email you think is linked to your Link actually is. Obviously there are many other reasons why the error might occur but in this case all the signs (in the App and Web Manager and green light on the Link itself) were of a correct link but nevertheless failure of remote operation.

In retrospect I could have solved the problem by contacting support earlier but now I have a spare, but fully functioning Link!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.