RollerTec Garage Door Controller

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting RollerTec Garage Door Controller

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jules 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     Waggers says:

Waggers
    Participant

Just on the off chance, has anyone fitted a LightwaveRF LW821 In Line Relay to a Rollertec V5 garage door opener?

I’m assuming that the ‘Motor Down Close’ and the ‘Motor Up Open’ terminals (T8 & T9) are connected to the relay (see attachment).

I’ve no idea who fitted the Rollertec unit originally and I’m having trouble trying to find a garage door expert who is familiar with LightwaveRF.

Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Mine is not a Rollertec door but I did try this a couple of years ago by connecting as you suggest but nothing happened.

Incidentally, a point to watch is that some garage doors operate on the same frequency as LWRF does and this can cause problems. Initially I installed a LWRF socket in my garage into which I plugged the door control unit. The reason I wanted the socket was so that I could remotely switch off or on the power to the door, thus isolating the door as a security measure. For some time I found that operating the door either with a fob in the car or a button in the house was very hit and miss. I decided it may be the LWRF socket, confirmed when I found that the frequency is the same. I replaced the socket with a normal one and no problems. Since I have been using a LWRF plug-in to control the power to the door and despite this also being on the same frequency it seems to be more robust and better insulated.

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

The frequency is probably not the issue, more likely the socket, being buried in the wall and possibly enclosed in a metal back box just didn’t get the radio signal half the time. A plug-in socket, being surface mounted and mostly plastic, will generally have better reception.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

No, it is or was the LWRF socket. It is not buried in the wall nor is it in a metal back box, or rather was not at the time.

It was not the socket though, nor the plug-in I eventually successfully use that could not get the signal, they always could. LWRF worked fine with those. The problem was the garage door was not always operating, the door control panel not happy with a LWRF socket near it but happier when I made it a plug-in. The electronics in the socket causing an issue with the control panel.

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

Just on the off chance, has anyone fitted a LightwaveRF LW821 In Line Relay to a Rollertec V5 garage door opener?

I’m assuming that the ‘Motor Down Close’ and the ‘Motor Up Open’ terminals (T8 & T9) are connected to the relay (see attachment).

I’ve no idea who fitted the Rollertec unit originally and I’m having trouble trying to find a garage door expert who is familiar with LightwaveRF.

Thanks in anticipation.

I’ve not got a garage door opener or an LW821; I don’t even have a garage, but I’ll offer this in the hope that it helps:-

I believe the door controller would make T8 live to power the motor to close and T9 live to power the motor to open, so you wouldn’t connect the relay there.

I suggest you wire the LW821 relay output common to T14 on the door controller, the left relay output to T13 and the right relay output to T15. (Don’t connect live 240V to the relay outputs.)

The door controller will be expecting a momentary connection from a push button on those terminals, so you will probably have to setup a couple of Events in the LightwaveRF ‘phone app. to Open, wait 3 seconds then Stop, and Close wait three seconds then Stop, so that the relay contacts don’t remain permanently closed.

I think that should work.

jtonline.info
      JSJSLW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer Switch / LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 3 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / Echo Dot / Harmony Companion.
       Waggers says:

Waggers
      Participant

Thank you Jules, that worked!

LightwaveRF relay needs to be sent a ‘stop’ command a few second aster the open or close demand, but it was easy enough to create a LightwaveRF event, assign in to an IFTTT Do Button and then have that button floating on my phones screen.

I now have two further tweaks I need to investigate:

1. Figure out a way to create a small ‘open’ button to mount on the car’s dashboard, perhaps using the innards of a LightwaveRF Open/Close switch.
      2. Get Amazon’s Alexa to run a LightwaveRF event.

Thanks also to rhlangdon for the input.

Jules says:

Jules
      Participant

Thank you Jules, that worked!

Yeah! Pleased to hear my suggestion worked :)

I now have two further tweaks I need to investigate:

1. Figure out a way to create a small ‘open’ button to mount on the car’s dashboard, perhaps using the innards of a LightwaveRF Open/Close switch.
      2. Get Amazon’s Alexa to run a LightwaveRF event.

Couldn’t you just mount your phone on the dashboard and use the app?

Once you’ve enabled the LightwaveRF Skill, you can run an Event via your Echo or Echo Dot by saying “Alexa, turn on event [name of event]” See http://www.lightwaverf.com/alexa/

jtonline.info
        JSJSLW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer Switch / LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 3 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / Echo Dot / Harmony Companion.
      Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.