Question about LW400WH Dimmer

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Question about LW40…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Grunthos 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
     safferguy says:

safferguy
    Participant

Hi There, I bought the above named dimmer form Maplins on their advice, however (whilst waiting for the product to arrive) have been doing some research and don’t think I have been given the correct advise..

Basically what I wanted was a smart dimmer switch that will work with my Amazon Echo Plus, so using the hub built into the echo and negate the requirement for a second hub….. I am fairly certain now that this dimmer switch will not work with Alexa unless I buy the lightwave hub??

So my second question (expecting my thought process to be correct) will the lightwave RF series work with the Samsung Smart Thing hub?

Appreciate any advice..

Rgds
    Saffer

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

You’re right to check.
    To use lightwaverf equipment via amazon echo you will also need the lightwave hub.
    The switches are not themselves wifi enabled but are controlled by proprietary rf signals generated by the lightwaverf hub.
    Doesn’t really make sense for just one switch.

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

(Same thing applies for the Samsung Smart Thing hub)

nevetsecirp says:

nevetsecirp
    Participant

Safferguy – you will struggle to find a standard wifi replacement switch for the UK Market that does not require a neutral at the switch, and most UK wiring does not have one, therefore only a few alternatives are available which LWRF is one, but again the majority if not all work on RF so require their own hub. The hub can seem costly for a one of light switch, but when you end up doing the majority of the house it is favourable to buying wifi lamps at £25+ a go

LWRF light switches in several rooms, WIFI Link, Energy Monitor, Socket x3 and multiple On/Off adapters. PIR controlling lights and doorbell utilising light feature. TRV's for heating. Relays for garden and outside lamps Linked with Amazon Alexa via a dot
     safferguy says:

safferguy
    Participant

Safferguy – you will struggle to find a standard wifi replacement switch for the UK Market that does not require a neutral at the switch, and most UK wiring does not have one, therefore only a few alternatives are available which LWRF is one, but again the majority if not all work on RF so require their own hub. The hub can seem costly for a one of light switch, but when you end up doing the majority of the house it is favourable to buying wifi lamps at £25+ a go

Hi nevetsecirp, Thanks for your response. I have checked with my electrician and luckily I have neutral wires available (blanked) in my switch in my office.. Still, I have to agree.. finding anything in the UK seems to be a problem, with the US miles ahead of us.. I (naively) thought this would be a doddle, especially having an Amazon Echo with a Zigbee hub built in…. So you learn! :)

safferguy says:

safferguy
    Participant

You’re right to check.
    To use lightwaverf equipment via amazon echo you will also need the lightwave hub.
    The switches are not themselves wifi enabled but are controlled by proprietary rf signals generated by the lightwaverf hub.
    Doesn’t really make sense for just one switch.

Thanks so much for the advice.. I completely misunderstood how the switches worked and assumed they will be wireless as a standalone product… Back to the drawing board.. Looks like I will be buying a bunch of dimmer & one/off switches as well as a RF hub…

geoffpreston says:

geoffpreston
    Participant

You’ll definitely need a LWRF hub (eg LW930 or the latest Link Plus). Basically, you speak into Alexa, Alexa (using the Lightwave ‘skill’ set) interprets what you say and converts that into a suitable signal which it broadcasts and the Lightwave hub recognises it and then broadcasts that signal to be picked up by the appropriate Lightwave device (switch, relay, etc).

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

FYI If you go the lightwaverf route, please be advised that ALL the light switches are dimmers. They don’t make a wired in “On/Off” light switch.
    There are ways around it but please ask on here if you need further advice…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.