Product idea: Infra-red remote control box

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Future Products > Product idea: Infra… > Page 3

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Future Products Product idea: Infra-red remote control box

This topic contains 44 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  markk 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
     Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

The recent remarks from the CEO suggest that this may be in the horizon ( which means we could be seeing it as early as autumn 2025) :)

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Here we are, to anyone who’s interested:-

This leads naturally in to the next stage in our development which will see us embark on creating a mechanism for 3rd party products to join the LightwaveRF cloud. This will see the licensing of the Lightwave

Protocol and provision of cloud services to other consumer electronics businesses from white goods to Wireless sound systems allowing both remote access and integration to other home devices.

We are already in talks with alarm manufacturers and Wireless sound system manufacturers as well as a number of commercial building control suppliers. This integration and licensing we believe will significantly accelerate our penetration and brand traction and place us as the leading edge provider of smart home technology with the broadest offering in the market.
    Mike Lord Chairman and CEO.

mr. shr says:

mr. shr
    Participant

I’m considering buying a range of LightwaveRF components and I’m also considering a universal remote for my AV gear. I’d like the universal remote to control the LightwaveRF kit.

What’s the latest on this? Is there a simple solution to this now or do we still need some sort of DIY solution?

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BroadLink-RM-PRO-SmartPhone-Universal-Controller-Lightwave-RF-Link-Alternative-/191384308551?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2c8f64cb47

I can’t vouch for the quality or reliability of the above, but I do use a similar non RF version (just IR) and it works perfectly.

You’d still need the WFL if you wanted to run timers/events etc.

markk says:

markk
    Participant

You’d still need the WFL if you wanted to run timers/events etc.

It looks like this has a timer function built into the app!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

So it does… I hadn’t noticed that. It must have more brains inside than the cheapo IR version that I have. Could be well worth a try.

digzz says:

digzz
    Participant
     Calston says:

Calston
    Participant

Coxy – I’m pretty sure the answer is No – the Broadlink device is only controllable via the iOS / Android app.

The Broadlink device appears to be capable of copying IR and RF codes and sending them based on instruction recieved from the App

The best of my knowledge there is still no simple method of controlling LightwaveRF via IR

This is still a major frustraition for me

philgv8 says:

philgv8
    Participant

Can I just resurrect this original post please.
    I am currently hard wiring home automation into our Barn conversion.
    I have been using some Lightwave RF kit for evaluation and am considering using your dimmers for an 8 way lighting switch in our lounge.
    I would prefer a dedicated remote to operate these, with user defined text, as opposed to a smartphone or tablet.
    Hence my ideal would be to use my current Harmony remote, preferably with moods selected either automatically or manually.
    I would note that the control box would need to be sited adjacent our A/V equipment, not at the wall switch, which rules out other IR lighting control solutions.
    So another vote for a two way RF / IR converter.

Dannecus says:

Dannecus
    Participant

I have a lot of LightwaveRF lighting and power items in the house, all controlable from the iPhone app and several of Lightwave’s own remotes. Just setting up the home cinema and I am going to have to install a IR lighting dimmer for compatability with my Harmony IR remote that controls all the HIFi gear. Really sad there is still no off the shelf IR reciever for Lightwave. I know some people have done clever self build solutions, but I don’t have the time or inclination (or most probably the skills). Lightwave are loosing sales here, there are a raft of good, programable IR remotes out there that would be excellent ways to control lighting if there was an IR to RF box available in the range.

Calston says:

Calston
    Participant

I’m in agreement. I still think that there would be huge demand for such a product and that lightwaverf will loose out to other rf technologies that Logitech Harmony are now linking up with such as zigbee. I was attracted by the stylish switches and moved from x10 across to lightwaverf but now regret the decision. The app is very poor and limitations such as wireless switches that can trigger events make the tech limited in scope. I have been susessful in integrating udp control from a philips pronto tsu9600 but this is high end kit and not really the market that lightwaverf are really reaching out to.

Such potential but missing the mark!

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BroadLink-RM-PRO-SmartPhone-Universal-Controller-Lightwave-RF-Link-Alternative-/191384308551?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c8f64cb47
    The seller of this product claims it can integrate with LWRF, if it can, would it not provide what you’re after?

markk says:

markk
    Participant

I bought a Broadlink to try it out. It does control LWRF stuff but by RF not IR. You just teach it with a LWRF remote. The app is pretty crap and you have to register (free) to get access to advanced features like geofencing and timers but the registration process is all in Chinese! That said, some of the remote functions are great. I have an air con unit which, when I entered the make and model on the app, it presented me with a fully working remote on my iPhone which means I can now control the Aircon remotely. I thought that alone was worth the £25 it cost me.

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     psw1 says:

psw1
    Participant

I too bought one of these Broadlink units. I just wish I could get to the advanced features to create templates, etc. A comprehensive English guide would be great.

markk says:

markk
    Participant

I’m in agreement. I still think that there would be huge demand for such a product and that lightwaverf will loose out to other rf technologies that Logitech Harmony are now linking up with such as zigbee. I was attracted by the stylish switches and moved from x10 across to lightwaverf but now regret the decision. The app is very poor and limitations such as wireless switches that can trigger events make the tech limited in scope. I have been susessful in integrating udp control from a philips pronto tsu9600 but this is high end kit and not really the market that lightwaverf are really reaching out to.

Such potential but missing the mark!

————————————————————————————————–

No need to get rid of your stylish LWRF switches, just the wifi link. I use Domoticz with an RFXCom to control mine now. Domoticz supports the Harmony hub hardware so now I have all my harmony activities controllable through Domoticz too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.