Plug-in sockets incorrectly defaulting to ON after a power cut

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Plug-in sockets incorrectly defaulting to ON after a power cut

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jules 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

The power company has been working on the electricity supply in my locality, and today whilst I was out at work, there was a power cut.

When I returned home I discovered that all four of my LW381 Basic On/Off Plug-in Sockets had switched on and therefore the lamps connected to them had been on for much of the day.

I thought the plug-in sockets were supposed to default to off once the power came back on after a power cut. Is there a setting change I can make so that they default to off?

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
      Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
       btidey says:

btidey
      Participant

This unfortunately is one of the endearing features of the basic plug in sockets and the flawed thinking of the Lightwaverf software development team.

Devices do in general default to off after a power off period as do the basic plug in sockets. However, devices can be made to default to power on by turning the link off, putting a device in pairing mode, and turning the link on.

At power up the link sends a special command and any device in pairing mode will hear this and remember this. Any subsequent power up cycle and those devices will respond and then turn on.

For most devices, this works OK as you have to explicitly put them into pairing mode with some button push. The basic plug-ins though don’t have a button and go into pairing mode when powered up for a few seconds.

So a power up of links and plug-ins together can cause them to be in pairing mode and learn the new power up behaviour. Subsequent power ups can then cause the plug-ins to turn on.

Once the plug-ins have learnt this, they will stay like this, so need to be cleared down completely and repaired normally.

This basic flaw was pointed out to Lightaverf a long time ago, and could have been avoided by a more sensible strategy on setting up power up behaviour like having a specific menu command on the link to set it up.

Jules says:

Jules
      Participant

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve just tested a power off/on cycle on the plug-ins alone and they remained off when power was restored. So as you say, it’s probably the link and plugins powering on together that causes the issue, although I haven’t tested that yet.

I raised a ticket with LightwaveRF support yesterday asking for a workaround/fix but I don’t hold up much hope.

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
        Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
      Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.