New User – 2 gang 2 way & 1 way swtich

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > New User – 2 gang…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting New User – 2 gang 2 way & 1 way swtich

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mrashton 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     RichM79 says:

RichM79
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve just started on my Lightwave journey and purchase some dimmers.

I have a question that relates to installation of a 2 gang switch though.
    I’m starting in the living room where we have 2 switches a 1 gang slave and a 2 gang master (this switch controls both the living room light and the outside light too).

I can’t see a way of connecting this to the lightwave dimmer successfully.
    Connections are:
    L1, L2, L3 on both gangs (Volex 1000 series). Unfortunately none of the wires are sleeved – I have 4 Brown Wires another one strapping the L2 of one to L1 of the other. (I’ve managed to attach an image).

Thanks in advance
    Rich

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     mrashton says:

mrashton
    Participant

Firstly, I am not an electrician and please be careful and isolate the lighting circuit before doing any work on it – obvious, I know.

First we need to understand how the switches have been wired:

These ramblings are based on my assumption and you will need to take a multimeter to the circuits to confirm them.

I assume that the Right side switch in your image controls the outside light. I’ll call the switches Left (Lounge) and Right (Outside).
    The Right L2 Brown wire is switched live to the outside light.
    The Right L1 jumper is being provided with continuous live from Left L2. (I would have liked to see Left L1 and L2 wiring swapped over to keep a standard but the switching will still work and maybe there is another reason that we are unaware of)
    Left L2 has 2 wires plus the jumper. Left L2, therefore is the continuous live input from the lighting ring to the switch.
    The Left switch is also cabled for 2 way switching so you have another 2 way switch somewhere in the circuit also controlling the lounge light.
    You will need to look at the wires going into the 2nd 2way switch in the lounge. This 2nd switch should have wires connecting to Left L1 and Left L3 (Left L2 is the incoming Live connection).
    I’m not sure what the 2nd wire connecting to Left L3 is and could be to a 2nd light fitting in the lounge?

Are you using Gen 2 switches or Gen 1? To get 2 way switching to work on Gen 1 you need an additional “signal” wire between the 2 switches. Looking at the wiring at your switch you’d have to string a separate wire between them to make it work (probably un-achievable without chasing walls!) . You can also use the Gen 1 Wireless dimmer instead of the 2nd 2-way switch to achieve the multi-way switching.
    With Gen 2 switches the multi way switching is accomplished wirelessly using the “Group” function on the app so they’ve done away with the signal wire requirement.

A little wordy but I hope this helps.

mrashton says:

mrashton
    Participant

As you can’t edit a post once posted this is an amendment to my original post.
    I made a comment about Left L2 being the Line or Continuous Live and that the way I am assuming it is wired will still work, I need to amend that statement. The internal design of the 2 way light switch would mean that the incoming Line feed would need to be at Left L1 for the switch to work as designed (Switching between L1 and L2 or L1 and L3). So, you would need to check for continuity at Left L2 to see if that really is the incoming Line feed and work back from there.

RichM79 says:

RichM79
    Participant

Thanks @mrashton, I have a 3 core going to the second living room switch (Grey, Black & Brown).

We have 2 light fittings that run off the same switch, could this be anything to do with the extra wires?

In total there are 4 Brown Wires 3 Blue Wires, 1 Black Wire, 3 Earth and then the jumper.

This carries on through the house, the kitchen has a 2 gang switch at both ends and controls under counter and main lights (there are 2), and the other controls main lights and outside light. The first switch has 4 Blue, 5 Brown, 1 Grey, 1 Black and 4 Earth..

Think its time for an electrician!

mrashton says:

mrashton
    Participant

Thanks @mrashton, I have a 3 core going to the second living room switch (Grey, Black & Brown).

We have 2 light fittings that run off the same switch, could this be anything to do with the extra wires?

In total there are 4 Brown Wires 3 Blue Wires, 1 Black Wire, 3 Earth and then the jumper.

This carries on through the house, the kitchen has a 2 gang switch at both ends and controls under counter and main lights (there are 2), and the other controls main lights and outside light. The first switch has 4 Blue, 5 Brown, 1 Grey, 1 Black and 4 Earth..

Think its time for an electrician!

Hi Rich,
    If you haven’t already called the electrician I’ve taken a look at my domestic wiring 17th edition book and understand this now…

On the left hand switch which is wired to another switch for 2 way switching,
    L1 brown is connected to L1 on the 2nd switch
    L3 Black is connected to L3 on the 2nd switch
    L2 Grey is connected to L2 on the second switch.
    L3 Brown is the switched live to the light fitting
    L2 Brown is the Line in or continuous live from the light fitting junction box.

This explains the live jumper from L2 feeding live to the outside (right side) light switch.

If you are using Lightwaverf Gen 2 light switches you need to replace the switch in the picture and the other switch connected to it with Lightwave L22 switches or L22 and L21 as appropriate.
    You will connect the Grey wire from L2 and its partner brown wire to the L terminal on the Gen 2 switch (pictured) and the Grey wire to “L” on the 2nd switch.
    You will connect the Black wire from L3 and its partner brown wire to the switched live terminal on the Gen 2 switch (pictured) and the black wire to “switched live” on the 2nd switch.
    The brown wire at L1 on both switches is now redundant for 2 way switching and should be made safe at both ends. The 2 way switching is done via the “Group” option on the app.

If you are using Gen 1 switches, connect as above but the brown wire from L1 should be connected to the “s” or signal terminal at each switch.

This all assumes the wiring is for 2 way switching done via the switches (and not the lighting point) using 3 core and earth wiring with black grey and brown conductors along with the Earth wire. Also that the twin and Earth from and to the lighting point has 2 brown cores and Earth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.