New installation – HomeKit issues

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > New installation –…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting New installation – HomeKit issues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  moggy250 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     moggy250 says:

moggy250
    Participant

Hi all – newbie here – Just getting started with an xmas present of a link plus and a couple of sockets.

The kit is working fine with the linkplus app on my phone but I’m having no joy trying to link it up with Apple HomeKit.

With everything working on the LinkPlus front, including basic scheduled automations turning sockets on/off, I tried to start with HomeKit. (I have an Apple TV which will be used as the hub but hadn’t done anything with it previously).

When I first scanned the code for the LInkPlus it appeared to work, and the HomeKit app showed me the sockets I’d previously paired. From the HomeKit app I managed to turn the sockets on/off a couple of times and I thought all was well. But after moving on to try setting up automations in HomeKit, I saw a message about a connection failure (sorry, can’t remember the details), and since then HomeKit cannot see the LinkPlus.

I’ve reset everything I can on the homeKit side – deleting the sockets, room, device and “home” completely, and the LinkPlus app is still quite happy, but now I cannot link the linkplus to HomeKit. If I scan the code or enter it manually I see the spinning animation in the “Add Accessory” page indefinitely. If I press the “my accessory isn’t shown here” link it mentions that “you may need to reset the accessory if it’s not connecting, or if it’s already connected to another home”.

I’m a bit loathe to try resetting the LinkPlus entirely as I’ve read messages here about that leaving you with an unresponsive unit – is that my only option or is there some magic I can work on the homekit side? If someone can put my mind at rest about the reset I’ll give that a try, but if not then I’ll just make do without HomeKit – I was only going to experiment with Siri for laughs anyway :)

In case it’s relevant the LW kit is in a garden cabin which is far enough from the house that I have to use BT powerline units for network access. For that reason I put the LinkPLus down there as I don’t expect its range to cope. This all works fine though – the powerline client provides a reliable wifi access point (link plus is connected to this with Ethernet, obv) and the LinkPlus app is working fine both across the home network and remotely using cellular connection,

moggy250 says:

moggy250
    Participant

Ok so I did a full reset of the linkplus and got it all working (including from HomeKit) again – for about 15 mins. Now HomeKit reports “no response” against the bridge and the sockets but linkplus app still functions fine.
    It looks like this is a commonly reported problem with HomeKit for which there is no known solution other than resetting everything and losing all config?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

i’m just wondering if there are any network issues at play.
    if you connect your phone to the garden cabin’s wifi rather than the home wifi, does that make homekit work any better?

moggy250 says:

moggy250
    Participant

I did wonder if networking is the problem. If I’ve understood things properly, as my phone found the Apple TV and set it up as the “hub”, when I use the HomeKit app on the phone it’s actually using the ATV to send the UDP commands? If that’s the case it could be a network issue between the phone and the ATV, or between the ATV and the linkplus.
    It might also be the ATV going into standby – it would explain why it worked for 15-20 mins. When I was testing this I was not in the same room as the ATV so I wouldn’t have seen it going off. I’ve only just found out today about making sure the ATV is “always on” :(

moggy250 says:

moggy250
    Participant

All seems to be working and quite stable now – locally and remotely.
    TBH I’m not quite sure what fixed it, it could just have been the fact that I was messing around with both the Lightwave app and Homekit at the same time to start with, and since resetting everything I’ve left Lightwave alone, but I did realise I didn’t have keychain turned on in iCloud as recommended.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.