This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mmcnamee 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     77scooter says:

77scooter
    Participant

Thought this might be of intrest to some…

https://www.netatmo.com/press/en-US/release/Netatmo_SmartRadiatorValves_ENG_UK.pdf

Netatmo seem to have achieved what lightwave have so far failed to manage, Siri controlled heating. I know this isn’t out until the end of 2016 but I’m sure we’ll still be waiting for Lightwave to work with home kit. So I’ll be ditching my LW heating gear in favour of this, it makes sense to me as I already have all the other Netatmo gear and this will work in conjunction with that. I’ve already ditched the LW lights switches in favour of Philips Hue and now Philips have their own motion sensor as well. I reckon the only LW products I’ll keep on using is the remote plugs and relays for the garden lighting but I’m fairly certain Netatmo or someone else will bring out somethings similar in time… So if anyone wants first dibs on a LW boiler switch, thermostat and some radiator valve, send me a PM on here.

mmcnamee says:

mmcnamee
    Participant

And it works very well, the NetAtmo thermostat! Admittedly, it’s only been on for 3 hours in 2 months, but that’s the advantage of summer!

I have the majority of the house kitted out with Lightwave, but have started using Domoticz on a Raspberry PI, with the Pilot app on iOS, and an RFXCom433e USB transciever – and have to say it’s far superior to using Lightwave’s own Wifi link, even via UDP with alternative front-ends (also on a raspberry pi).

Some distant devices take 3-5 signals from the Wifi Link, located centrally in the house before they actually switch, it’s variable based upon weather and other voodoo factors! However, sending from the RFXCom, which is also central, but slightly higher up (and thus further away), very rarely has any signal issues. Perhaps it’s the external antenna which makes this more reliable.

Lightwave has its place, and I’m still yet to see any switches and sockets which look as good for less than 3-4x the price of LWRF kit.

Domoticz also has the advantage of integrating all these things together into one place, and the ability to create a nice “Dashboard” and layout plans. Wish I’d taken the plunge earlier!

77scooter says:

77scooter
    Participant

I wouldn’t even know where to start with Domoticz or Raspberry Pi, hence my need for what’s essentially a plug n play system…

mmcnamee says:

mmcnamee
    Participant

iOS10 and the new home kit app will certainly shake up the market no end – and hopefully bring the ultimate in plug and play.

I’ve been using HomeBridge which allows Siri and Homekit apps to talk to Domoticz, and it works really well, no doubt apple approved official accessories will work flawlessly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.