Mood controller (LW 101, 101a): additional functionality not in the manual.

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Mood controller (LW 101, 101a): additional functionality not in the manual.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  pt44 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     TSM99 says:

TSM99
    Participant

There is something odd about the mood controller (LW 101) and even odder about the scene selection controller (LW 101a), which is that on the face of it, the big off button (0) and the ‘all off’ button do exactly the same thing. So what’s the point of the extra button? Hold on there, I hear you exclaim, that is only true if you have the rear slide control set to 0/1. If you have it set to M then the ON and OFF controls become mood buttons, just like the ’1′, ’2′ and ’3′ buttons. So OFF (0) is not necessarily the same as ‘all off’. True. But the selection controller (LW 101a, which has a similar set of 6 buttons to the mood controller, though the physical configuration is different) does not have a rear slider. And you can’t program a mood into its two big buttons, so it is hard-wired to 0/1, which means that OFF (0) and ‘all off’ have the same functionality. Hmm. Nobody would design something so redundant. But the manuals shed no light on the matter at all (unless there as an entry off piste that I’ve missed), and I’ve not been able to find this discussed anywhere in my google searches. However, I have now found that those two off buttons can have very different functions (thank goodness), depending on how you do the pairing in the first place. If you follow the manuals, then you will pair using the ON button (1). (You can also unpair using the OFF (0) button). If you follow that procedure, then you have the situation described above. However, it turns out that you can also pair with the ‘all off’ button. So, for the sake of argument, let’s say you have 2 white lights that you pair with ON (1), and four coloured lights that you pair with ‘all off’. What do you end up with? Well, all six lights are linked to the controller, which means that you can set moods (1, 2, 3) from any combination of those six. Hitting ‘all off’ will do exactly that, kill all six lights. However, ON (1) and OFF (0) will only toggle the two white lights. This is a very valuable feature. It’s best to think of pairing with ‘all off’ (not in the manual) as the default, and the pairing with (1) as the special treatment that will give you a ‘mood’ that can be switched (using 1 and 0) independently of the status of your other linked lights to that controller. So, for example, I have 2 of the 4 coloured lights on. I now hit ON (1), and the two white lights come on, the coloured lights remain as they were. That is very different from a pure mood (using the M slider), where the whites would come on, and the two colours would go off. This is exactly the functionality I was looking for. One obvious application is this. Wouldn’t it be nice to use the ‘all off’ button at the front door to turn off everything. Yup – that’s easy. But then you have all those other buttons, which you can use to set moods in your hallway. But wait, that means that under the rules of the manual (pairing with ON (1)), as you set the mood in the hallway, you will also be switching off every other LW device in your home (because they are all linked to that master controller), and who knows how your family have set them today, so you can’t build that into the mood in advance! However, if you pair all those non-hallway lights with ‘all off’ (instead of the conventional ON (1)), that is not the case. Yay! I felt sure there had to be a solution – but why is not in the manual?

TSM99 says:

TSM99
    Participant

Addendum to above. While what I said at the end about ‘all those other buttons’ is true about the ON (1) and OFF (0) buttons, it does not follow with the mood buttons, which function conventionally, of course.

pt44 says:

pt44
    Participant

Hi TSM

I know this is an old thread. However, you’ve hit upon something that is exactly what I was looking for (I think).

I’m trying to control 2 bedside lamps, via two switches. One normal wire free on and off switch. The other a Scene Selector (LW101a). Reading through your description, do you think it’s possible to re-link both lamps (plug in sockets) with the All Off button on the 101a. So that both lamps will turn off at the press of one button. But still keep the On button and Off button on the 101a to turn on and off my own lamp? i.e. not affect my partners lamp at all.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.