Monster ceiling problem !

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JustMe 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     X10convert says:

X10convert
    Participant

Hi, my kitchen has 23 downlighters installed in the ceiling with GU10 50w bulbs which I have now replaced with Osram GU10 LED 9w bulbs.
    I know that this number of bulbs is beyond the capacity of the LWRF dimmers. Does anyone know of any professional solutions that would allow me to dim this lot so I don’t have to wear sunglasses when I’m cooking !? Needless to say the previous occupant had this lot wired back to one on/off switch.

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

The specification for the new dimmer switch are shown below and your total load would appear to be less than 210 watts (23 x 9) so it should work with your solution. I would suggest you ring Megaman and they will give you the final answer as I am not a qualified electrician.

HTH

RF frequency: 433.92 MHz
    Input rating: 220-240V~ 50Hz.
    Output rating: 3W~250W max.
    Incandescent Load: 20W min 250W max.
    Back Box Depth: 35mm min.
    Earthing Requirement: Not essential (double insulated) Standby Energy Use: Less than 1W
    Wiring: Neutral wire NOT required
    Warranty: 2 year standard warranty

ScubyD says:

ScubyD
    Participant

Seem to remember that the recommended load for LEDs is significantly less than for standard halogen bulbs.

If you want to use Lightwave, then couple of options I can think of:
    – split the bulbs into say 4 separate circuits, and put a 4-gang switch in.
    – hide some in-line dimmers in the wall / ceiling / under a cabinet, and then control them with a wireless switch.

Unfortunately both require re-wiring the lights onto separate circuits – which may or may not be easy depending on whether you can access the wiring. Alternatively I think the inline dimmer might have a higher capacity so you may be able to just use one, but can’t find any specs to check…

David

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

ScubyD

You are right, I found a link that explains it all.

http://www.megamanuk.com/lightwaverf/helpdesk/knowledgebase.php?article=12

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.