LWRF Link Signal

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Capper 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Capper says:

Capper
    Participant

I’m new to LWRF and just wanted to share my experience so far. I’ve installed the 3 basic plugs and am setting up the relay and light switch. I’ve had a few issues with the Link unit and the signal strength. Occasionally the unit upstairs turns on by timer but not off. Then will not operate via app, unpair or pair etc. I’ve moved my Link box around and it works again. I think I’ve isolated the problem and wanted to post it as I’ve not seen too much on this problem when I’ve been searching.

The room that the Link is in is an extension which has walls made of SIPs so basically Celotex walls and it is the foil lining that is causing a signal issue. Range is impacted severely (down to 5-6M). Upstairs is 3M away but hit and miss as to whether it works. If I move the upstairs unit into another room with line of sight (patio door) to the Link it works better.

I think the problems will go away if I can run a longer patch lead back to the router and have the Link based in a non-foil lined room. So while SIPs is great for building and cheap, warm etc it is rubbish for home automation…

And hello by the way!

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Interesting. Sounds like the Celotex is giving you a bit of a Faraday cage.

Do you have wifi gear in there as well? Does that suffer in the same way? THe shorter wavelength might give it a bit of an advantage in finding its way through.

Capper says:

Capper
    Participant

I have my Asus router with 2.4/5ghz wifi (1M away) and a couple of wifi devices which seem fine. The wifi drops down 2 rooms away going into a 3rd room which has a double brick lined wall. However, I just installed the wall light switch and it is fine. My friend’s Celotex extension completely kills mobile phone signal so I’ve kind of figured it was the insulation panels. I’m planning to move the Link when we redecorate.

Just thought if anyone was having an issue then they may want to check the construction of the wall first.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.