Lightwave RF refuses to turn off certain devices – but only overnight

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Lightwave RF refuse…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Lightwave RF refuses to turn off certain devices – but only overnight

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     firefox says:

firefox
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wondering whether any of you have experienced this before.

After years of the system working generally very well for me, my system has started playing up just over a week ago, and I can’t seem to be able to figure it out. Basically everything works perfectly during the day…., But between 1 and about 9 over night, some of the devices refuse to work….., Whilst others work perfect. I can’t understand why this is happening.

Some things that may help.

1. Haven’t moved the router in years and has always worked perfectly in that spot. Since the problems have started, I have tried moving it to different switches I have around the house …., With no luck.

2. There is nothing else that comes on overnight , that could be causing interfere. And if there was …., Why does half the lightwave RF devices still work??? I have even placed the lightwave router near some the devices refusing to work. I don’t think my neighbours are doing anything…, They don’t look the technical stuff.

3. Resetting LRF router doesn’t make a difference.

4. The affected devices include some plug in modules and lightswitches and relay switches.

I have been in touch with Lightwave RF support, but they don’t know. They could ping the router in my house with no problems…., i’m running the latest firmware and have been for ages apparently.

I make out the firmware I am running must be corrupted. I am reluctant to do a factory reset as …., Am I correct in thinking I would have to link everything again ( including the hard to get to devices. Will entering my username and password…., Link up all my devices again automatically.

Any ideas Lads would be really appreciated…., It is so frustrating.

Thanks

Eric

Automation says:

Automation
    Participant

Hi Firefox

It would seem to me to be caused by interference on the 433 Mhz frequency, that only occurs during these times. This could be a any device that is switched on during these times that generates interference around 433 Mhz due to a fault or it’s own microprocessor not being suppressed. That some units continue to work could just be to the manufacturing tolerances of the units, some may be more prone to interference. I assume you have been able to move a plug in device from where it stops working to plug it in near a device that works. The interference may be carried along your mains wiring from wherever it originates to the affected units.
    Otherwise I would suggest taking a available unit that works and you can afford not to be available for while. Clear its memory and then pair it with a failed units function. Then see if it works while the normal one does not. Equally you could take a non working unit and do the reverse process. Also try plugging it in at different locations.
    Have you installed anything new in your house around the time this all started.

If the problem is associated with the unit it must be a RF issue. If it remains with the function then it is a programming/firmware problem.

I hope you find the real cause of your problem.

Regards

nevetsecirp says:

nevetsecirp
    Participant

I think Automations advise is good to try and establish the possible changes.
    My understanding is that all your settings are stored in the LWRF servers, and they get updated to your LWRF Link every time there is a update to a setting in an app, there used to be settings in the apps to upload to server and download from server (but I believe most of it is now down automatically) Therefore in principle if you were to reset your link, log into your account it should download all the settings to the link. But I would check with LWRF via a quick phone call to check

LWRF light switches in several rooms, WIFI Link, Energy Monitor, Socket x3 and multiple On/Off adapters. PIR controlling lights and doorbell utilising light feature. TRV's for heating. Relays for garden and outside lamps Linked with Amazon Alexa via a dot
     firefox says:

firefox
    Participant

Thanks guys, really appreciate your advice…, I will try these suggestions.

The only things different is some new lightwave RF plugs introduced, but since these are plugged in 24/7 ……, They are probably not to fault…., But then again they are using the 433mhz frequency to work ???

The other thing recently introduced is a TV, that we have recently started using overnight to monitor a cctv camera. But I was wondering if this could be the problem earlier in the week, so left it off…, But problems still occurred…., So is not that.

The only other thing (which I have had for months) is a few Broadlink RM Pro and mini’s….. , These are IR and 433mhz remotes …., Maybe they are doing something strange over night to cause interference…., Might plug them out and see if it makes a difference

It is weird…., Very weird.

I will try the suggestions and see if they make any difference

Thanks guys…, Will keep you posted once I have figured it out

Automation says:

Automation
    Participant

Hi Firefox

The recently introduced TV was it (and the camera) unplugged from the mains, or just switched OFF. If the later the switched mode power supplies will still be running, could be producing RF signal….. Equally I asume the new plugs (plug in units) are generation 1, as there are no Gen 2 ones yet, again unplug them for 24 hours. Have tried to think what else may only be powered in your night hours, the old white meter storage heaters would have fitted the crime scene. Here the street lights go out around 1230 to 1am, they each have there own light sensor and a micro computer, do you have a similar system and is there one nearby? One possible cause of interfering RF is equipment used for remote wireless monitoring a baby or old person, if a grey import it may be operating on the 433 Mhz band illegally (it fits the timing). Another possibility would be an alarm system that is only set ON once evryone has gone upstairs.

A commercial short wave receiving site began to get interference on a wide band of frequencies many years ago. All sorts of things were done to try and find it as it only came on around dusk. Eventually it was found a few hundred yards away, inside a “keep left” sign was a deliberate jamming device powered from the lighting power.

Good hunting

firefox says:

firefox
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Right I have figured out the culprit. It’s a TV in one of the rooms….., When I turn it on …., All the problems start until I turn it off and everything starts working again within a few mins. When the TV is in standby mode ….., Everything works ok…, But once I turn the TV on…., Everything changes.

The TV is nowhere near the lightwave router or any of the LRF devices…., And I only watch the channels from a TV coax that I’d plugged into it.

Why would this be interfering…., And is there a way to stop it interfering?

It’s a mad one….., It really is

Thanks

Eric

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

I would hazard a guess that the switched mode power supply in the TV is operating at a sub-harmonic of the 433MHz transmission. It is pretty unusual for the this to cause a problem.

First thing to establish is whether the interference is direct from the TV, going down the power cable or the coax antenna lead and radiating from there. You could try turning TV on with coax lead out to see if the problem goes away which would indicate the problem is with radiation from coax.

You can fit snap on suppression ferrites on the power lead and coax lead that will help to distinguish the problem and may effect a cure.

The coax itself may also be problematic if it is a cheaper variety with just a loose braid for the earth shielding. The sort with a full foil will help prevent stray radiation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.