lightwave device codes

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums LightwaveRF Hackers lightwave device codes

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  stringman 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
     sdfroggatt says:

sdfroggatt
    Participant

Is there an easy way to find out a devices code without having a remote. I presume each device has a unique code pre programmed and they are created when the device is setup.

Apologies if this sounds a stupid question but I am a relative noob
    thanks in advance

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Hi,

Each transmitting type device has a code inline with the JSJS LWRF specification.

3 off bytes to create the ID and another byte for the unit code.

Receiving devices has no code, they simply latch onto a suitable transmit whilst in learning mode.

With the wifilink, 2 of the 3 bytes of the ID are derived from the wifilink’s MAC address.

If you want to see the codes that various transmitters give out, you can do this with an rfxcom (RFXtrx433).

I believe this also might be possible using an arduino and suitable kit, but i have no experience with that.

HTH

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Just to expand on that a bit more. The receiving devices (switches, dimmers, etc.) do not have any unique identity at all. They all start off effectively blank. They then learn through pairing what type of packets to respond to. As skiv says each transmitter has a unique transmit address plus the room/device codes. Once a device has been paired to that combination of transmit address and room/unit code then the device will continue to respond to commands that have that same info. Most devices can store up to 6 different combinations (e.g. remotes, wifilink etc) and will respond to any of them until unpaired.

One can also fabricate transmitters or receivers that behave like the Lightwaverf devices using an Arduino and cheap 433MHz modules.

wo0d1e says:

wo0d1e
    Participant

I have a list of codes for ON/Off control of the plugs and also Dimmers. However the codes I have are designed to be sendt as UDP packets via the wifi link using iRule remote software on my iPad. What are you looking to control the devices with, or should I say what method are you hoping to control the devices ?

wo0d1e says:

wo0d1e
    Participant

After Pairing your devices through the Lightwave software you are left with a) Room b) Device and then you will require a function or command to send to the device.

My codes look like this : Fireplace ON = !R1D3F1 (!R1 = Room 1) (D3=Device 3 in my case my Fireplace) (F1=Funtion 1 = ON changing this to 0 = OFF.

My Dimmers look like this: Dining Room LIGHTS OFF = !R1D2F0
    Dining Room LIGHTS 50% = !R1D2FdP16 (Dim levels go up in multiples of 8. 32 being the MAX 100% Dim Level)
    Dining Room LIGHTS 75% = !R1D2FdP24

Your !R (Room) + D* (Device) settings will differ from mine but I hope this helps even slightly. It took me a while to figure this after browsing multiple forms for hours so I hope it goes a little way to helping you understand it. :-)

sdfroggatt says:

sdfroggatt
    Participant

Thanks for all that. A lot of info to take in.

I want to purchase a lightwave socket but don’t want to buy a controller. If I find the codes that the socket is expecting can I pair the socket using an arduino and 433 rf signal. Currently I have marlin sockets and initially just plugged the transmitter into the arduino and read all the codes. Then I programmed them into my software, so now I have no need for the remote. What I really need to find out is the tri state codes for the receivers
    Thanks

sdfroggatt says:

sdfroggatt
    Participant

I have just bout a handheld remote and socket locker to try and get the codes so I can control the equipment over the net, however i’m having a slight problem.

i have built and 443.92 receiver with arduino and if i press switches on my homeeasy control i can read tristates,digital and raw data, however the lightwaverf transmitters dont seem to produce anything. I am presuming it is because the home easy uses IC SC5262 and the lightwave RF uses an MDT106P611S12

anyone got any ideas.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Look at the thread here on Arduino and 433MHz. You can both pick up the control signals from other Lightwave devices using a 433MHz receiver and transmit control signals to LightwaveRF devices. Posts near the end of this thread point to Libraries and documentation explaining the RF protocol.

The libraries for the Arduino make this easy and it should also be straightforward to integrate these in with Homeasy support.

sdfroggatt says:

sdfroggatt
    Participant

Thanks for that. I don’t suppose you have the UK to the thread I’ve tried to search for it but nothing comes up.
    Thanks

sdfroggatt says:

sdfroggatt
    Participant

Sorry should have said URL not UK

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Thread is http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/arduino-433-and-868mhz-library-via-rf-not-udp/

Libraries and documentation is at https://github.com/roberttidey/LightwaveRF

You should be able to see TX data from a LightwaveRF control (e.g. a remote) using a 433MHz receiver. Similarly with a transmitter you should be able to either emulate an existing controller if you have captured its address or generate your own address and pair a device to that.

stringman says:

stringman
    Participant

Hi all
    sorry to hijack this thread but I am wondering if I could buy a 433mhz learning remote and learn just one command to switch on 1 socket from my motorbike?

any thoughts?

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

It depends a bit on exactly what the remote is learning.

If it is just learning the timing of the on/off pulses to replicate then it should work. The Lightwaverf 433MHz packets are of fixed structure and don’t vary.

If the learning is more specific and is only picking up the structure of codes it knows about the it won’t work.

I would guess it is more likely to be the former and so should work. These learning remotes are very cheap so the best way is just get one and try.

stringman says:

stringman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.
    There are 2 remotes I am looking at.
    one is learning remote which requires you to put the receiver in pairing mode
    so is very similar to the lw remote.

the second is a cloning remote. you put the new remote into record mode and the use the lw remote to send the signal to be recorded.
    Which do you think would be most likely to work.

Also,slightly off topic,how easy would it be to get a Home easy
    Remote Control Outdoor P.I.R Unit HE861 to talk to lw socket?
    many thanks

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

I suspect the remotes are both doing the same thing but are just using different terminology (pairing , cloning) for the recording process. If anything use the cloning one.

The Homeasy PIR operates on 433MHz. Some possible approaches,

1) Use an automation server like Domoticz with usb rxtx unit to receive HomeEasy triggers and then send out LightwaveRF commands,

2) Hack a 433MHz converter using a Raspberry Pi with low cost 433MHz TX and RX modules. RX looks for HomeEasy triggers and TX then sends out Lightwave command. I did something similar (but in reverse to control my Gazco fire from LightwaveRF (see post in this forum.

3) Variant of 2 if you have a Lightwave link would be use just an RX unit to look for the HomeEasy trigger and then send UDP command to the link to send out the LightwaveRF signal. Lots of posts in this forum about how to do the UDP side.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.