LightwaceRF alternatives

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
     mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Before I get in too deep with lighwaverf, I am wondering if there are any genuine alternatives for remote controlled light-switches that don’t need a neutral wire?

Philips hue is no good for me because many of my light fittings contain 3 or more bulbs.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

fibaro?

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Looks light a nightmare to retrofit and not sure if it will need a neutrral at the swiitch.

My ideal kit would be something that can just on/off the lights like a relay and isn’t munch thicker than a regular manual switch for ease of retrofit.
    Sounds like it doesn’t yet exist!

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

Then look at ENERGENIE MIHOME?

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

It will only work with dimmable bulbs.

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

So it seems I have another requirement – must be able to switch on/off all bulbs that a standard manual switch can.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

if you do not have a neutral, then you need to get your power parasitically by letting a little trickle through the bulb.
    This is why you can only ever use the type of bulbs that allow a trickle to occur..

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Would it not be possible for the device to consume that power, but have a relay to open/close the contacts like a regular switch?
    Hmm..probably not..so it would need to be a battery powered switch then.

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Is it feasible to re-wire a single light fitting to provide a neutral at the switch?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

one option is to design a switch that has an internal battery to supply the receiver electronics when the switch is off (maybe a rechargeable, that charges when lights are on) – i’m not sure how practical this could be in reality.

to have a neutral at the switch means a re-wire – needs an extra core to supply the neutral..

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

to have a neutral at the switch means a re-wire – needs an extra core to supply the neutral..

Thanks for the info!
    Can the re-wre be done between the ceiling rose and the switch for a single fitting?
    Or does it need the entire lighting circuit to be wired differently?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

yes, most ceiling roses will have the main lighting ring/radial at them, so the neutral will be up there….

…lightwave switches don’t have a neutral connector on them to use though..

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Hmm – true, it would open up other options though I suppose.

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

Looks like energenie only have single gang switches :-(

mark_h says:

mark_h
    Participant

And the red led looks so naff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.