LED Hut Offer Extended – Again (and flash sale on 4W wide angle lamps)

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Special Offers > LED Hut Offer Exten… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Special Offers LED Hut Offer Extended – Again (and flash sale on 4W wide angle lamps)

This topic contains 27 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
     Jace says:

Jace
    Participant

Hi Chris,
    I’ve just purchased LWRF for my whole house,
    The 4W LEDs mentioned above, are these the best ones to work with the dimmer switches?
    LWRF told me only Istoria led bulbs work with the system? As I need to purchase 100 bulbs which of course will tally a considerable bill, I want to make sure all works fine.
    I’ve been told each circuit must accumulate between 15w and 70w, will it make a difference if I go over to about 72W on some circuits switch, apologies I’m new to all this and far from technical.

Thanks for your help thus far,
    Regards,
    Jace.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

Hi @Jace

The 4W lamps work and represent good value for money, but I personally prefer the 5W lamps. They are more expensive, but let me talk you through the reasons why.

I started off with the 4W lamps. Even though they are advertised as warm white, they were a little cool for my liking – very white indeed and much better than CFLs, but definitely cooler than halogens. I then upgraded to the 4.5W lamps and these were better. They achieved a warmer glow by, I think, projecting a yellow cast to the edges of the pools of light. My recent upgrade was to the 5W lamps and these are definitely yellower and warmer to my eye. Even the wife commented they are better than the previous bunch.

Ultimately it will come down to what you want to achieve. No LED on the market is as warm as a halogen and none of them get warmer as they dim like halogens do. If you think replacing Halogen with LED will give you the same effect, get that out of your mind now. Likewise I haven’t seen an LED which dims as well as a Halogen. Yes they dim, but not as far or as linearly as a halogen. So, what benefit do you get? Put simply, cost. You say you have 100 lamps and at 50W for a standard halogen you will be burning through 5000 Watts per hour (or about 75p PER HOUR of electricity). Replacing all of these with 5W LEDs will lower your consumption to around 500 Watts at about 7.5p per hour (assuming of course that you have all 100 bulbs on, I suspect you won’t).

When thinking about the colour, think about the paint on the walls. My living room is painted “Egyptian Cotton” or something like that so is basically on the brown side of beige. The warm white 5W lamps work really well with this and give a nice warm feeling to the room. A friend of mine tested each of my lamps and preferred the 4W lamp because he has white walls and commented that the 5W looked too yellow. Yes the 5W will be brighter, but if you have white walls, it is unlikely that you will want them to go yellow! For kitchens you may prefer the cool white, but these are much more like daylight bulbs and may appear too clinical, again it depends what you are trying to light.

As for the istoria bulbs, I personally haven’t tried them and I suspect the only affiliation between JSJS Designs and istoriaLED is that they have tried them too (or been paid to recommend them). I haven’t seen anything formally published through the stock exchange stating a formal relationship so I suspect there isn’t one. Last time I looked they were Price On Application – which I interpret as meaning if you have to ask, you probably can’t afford them! The LED Hut ones were affordable and easy to get hold of so I did. I haven’t looked back. The 20% discount is a nice bonus too and while a few people have commented that they don’t like them, I suspect in truth they wouldn’t like any LED. Remember, LEDs have been mass market for less than two years, Incandescent lamps have been around for two hundred years so they have plenty of time to catch up. The product development manager at LED Hut did go to JSJS Designs to formally test their dimmers with the LED Hut lamps. I haven’t heard how that went, but apparently lots of people are calling LED Hut to ask about LightwaveRF dimmers (probably because of this forum!) Officially they only recommend ‘trailing edge dimmers’ that they sell – but the LightwaveRF dimmers ARE trailing edge and do work well.

As for loading, the 40W minimum stated on the dimmers refers to halogens. I have had just one of the 4.5 and 5W LED lamps working with my dimmers. The 4W lamps required 2 (so just 8W load). There doesn’t appear to be any science to this and there are lots of variables – resistance in the cable etc. I suspect 15W is a wet finger minimum or based on the istoriaLEDs. Your mileage may vary, but all I can say is give it a go. As for maximum load, all I know is that the dimmers are stated for a maximum 250 or 210 watts depending on whether you go for a 1/2 or 3/4 gang model. How this is affected by using LED I don’t know. Perhaps an electrical engineer could comment.

If you are concerned about spending money, don’t fear. You can always return your lamps in seven days by LAW if you don’t like them. Something called the distance selling regulations give you some power here.

Hope this helps
    Chris

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     djtomkins says:

djtomkins
    Participant

I have roadtested lots of different bulbs and share Chris’s opinion that the new 5W ones are worth the money. The problem with the ones onf flash sale at the moment is the 120 degree spread – which means the light barely reaches the floor and mine are sat in the back of a drawer gathering dust!

I have installed over 80 of the 5W ones in a new extension, and I am very happy with them – for my outdoor deck lights , utility room and loo, I have gone for the cool white (which give a very good clear but not overly clinical light) and the rest in warm white, which really do have a very similar feel to a standard ES 60W filament bulb or halogen. The technology is clearly developing quickly – I don’t doubt there will be even better ones available in the future.

A thing worth noting is that the dimming curve (as mentioned in a lot of places) is not linear – I would say that 100%-5% on these bulbs set up on a LWRF switch is more like 100%-50% in lumens – whether this is to do with the bulb, LWRF or both I am unsure. However, asusming you have the same set up I doubt there is a difference.

On the loading, I have one zone on a two bulb set up which works fine (but there is no guarantee my set up is the same as yours of course).

Finally – in my opinion – don’t scrimp on the lights – I spoke to LED Hut and they said that recommendation is no more than 650mm from the wall (or wall cabinet if you have any plans for specifc furniture) and no more than 1m apart – my house does look a bit like a runway my friens reckon, but you get a great even spread of light, with no dark spots, which is crucial for me.

Good luck and I hope you get what you need – as Chris says – you can always buy them, test run them, then box them back up – I returned 65 of the 4W versions on this basis!

Two floors tooled up for light and power! Lighting circuits: 5 x 1 gang, 5 x 2 gang, 3 x 3 gang, 6 relay circuits, mainly LEDHut 5W LEDs (91!) but also outdoor SON lamps, LED kitchen lights, LED candle bulbs, halogen bulbs and a dimmable CFL, 5 mood controllers, two remote switches, 2 PIRs. Power: one remote socket, 9 plug in modules. Patiently waited for the heating modules for years, and am a little underwhelmed....flirting with evohome....and please don't tell me "there is a better way" and try to sel
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

I can only concur with Chris’s comments here and those of djtomkins. One single 7 watt bayonet light fitting LED in an overhead certainly does not work with a LightwaveRF dimmer. They may be leading edge but not leading edge enough for that. It works with a leading edge dimmer from another supplier though. As Chris points out we are on a learning curve, there will be better control of colour as time goes by to remove the harshness of some cool white less and as the problem is so widespread I suspect LightwaveRF will eventually produce a dimmer that works with all. If you have LightwaveRF dimmer and it is not working the lights properly, i.e. a light stays on when the switch is off then an answer is a resistor in the circuit somewhere or LightwaveRF’s inline dimmer but nobody has stock of those.

Richard.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

Richard

You talk about leading edge. Do you mean trailing edge? Most LEDs I’ve come across require trailing edge dimmers and LED Hut will tell you the same. The dimmers they sell are actually Varilight which are trailing edge. The LightwaveRF dimmer switches are trailing edge as far as I know. The plug in dimmable socket though is leading edge and it definitely doesn’t work – the bayonet lamps have a real hissy fit if you try switching them on! The inline dimmer is apparently leading edge too although they advertise it as being compatible with LEDs. I have one gathering dust which needs to be tested. I really must get this done and committed to video for the Youtube channel!

Chris

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

I’d like to just jump in here and mention that I have 1x Ledhut B22 in the pendant in my sons bedroom and it works perfectly with a 1gang LW dimmer. However, when I tried two of these bayonet lamps on the H/S/L circuit they misbehaved and stayed on! I had to swap one for a 35w GU10 with a bayonet adapter, it’s the only incandescent lamp left in the house apart from the cooker/microwave/fridge and if I could swap them I would.

Jace says:

Jace
    Participant

Guys thanks for all your help,
    My walls are going to be matt white in the lounge, study, diner etc and light lime green in the hall way and finally post box red in the coffee lounge and kitchen.
    I will try with the 4w as I’m a fan of cool white rather than yellow.
    Thanks again,
    Regards,
    J

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Has the LEDRF20 LED Hut discount now expired? I was going to buy a few GU10 4.5W units and all it would offer me was a 5% SAVE5 discount.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

No, but I know when the 4W were on special, I had to ask them to add the code to those products because they are essentially moved out of the “spots and bulbs” category and added to the “clearance” category. Officially the offer code is only supposed to work on the spots and bulbs but, with the 4W lamps at least, I argued that they were still spots even if the website didn’t think so – they added the code!

I will check this and e-mail them.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

Grr. Looks like because they are currently running a free bulb offer, no codes are valid. They could have told me in time for me to suspend my google adwords advert before I spent money on it! E-Mail on it’s way – this is hurting my sales!!!

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

I understand LED Hut have now fixed the issue and my code now works again. It won’t work in conjunction with the free bulb offer though so it is one or the other. The free bulb works out at about 15% discount. My code is worth 20% so slightly better than the free lamp anyway. Don’t forget, click through from this site so sales are tracked back to here – it keeps this forum alive. Thanks.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Thanks for sorting the code out. It worked for me OK. I just wanted 4 for a specific fitting replacement so I wasn’t qualifying for the free bulb offer anyway.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

@btidey didn’t click through from this site last though did you :-(

Please do. The code is provided for me to share with you and unless the clicks show as coming from here, the codes won’t be renewed and LED Hut will not reward me for sharing it with you.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by