LED Ceiling Light Issue

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Pacman52 7 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     Pacman52 says:

Pacman52
    Participant

Hi all I’ve recently purchased a new light for my lounge that has integrated LED bulbs – like an idiot I completely forgot to check when buying it if the LED’s were dimmable and of course only found out when it was installed and connected to my LW switches that it wasn’t. My question is really is there a solution to this like a ‘inline unit’ or something?

The light is on a master double gang switch and also on two way to a single gang slave. The double gang also controls my outside balcony lights which I really would like to be able to turn on or off remotely plus add into my motion detection unit.

I would be really grateful for any advice anyone can offer me on this to hopefully get the current light working but if it is a case that there is no way I can do it and need to get a new light will the LW switches work with any integrated LED lights as long as they are listed as dimmable?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Paul

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

There is certainly no guarantee that any replacement integrated LED ‘dimmable’ unit will work. Dimmables vary quite a bit in their characteristics and not all will work with Lightwaverf light switches. This is because the switches need to draw a small amount of current to power themselves even when the switch is off. This small current is what can upset LED operation.

The only way to lightwaverf control your existing light is by using a Lightwaverf inline relay unit instead of the lamp switch. This needs a neutral connection and doesn’t draw power through the circuit being switched. It is normally installed in the ceiling space where a neutral connection will be available.

The relay unit just responds to Lightwaverf commands and so one would normally use a Lightwaverf wirless switch to provide a wall switch for this. The complication you have is that you have a dual gang switch for the balcony light. You can get a dual gang wireless switch JSJSLW221 but you would then need to use an inline relay or inline dimmer for the balcony light.

Pacman52 says:

Pacman52
    Participant

Hi thanks so much for your reply and advice. I’ve pretty much given up on the dimming option for this light and to be honest dimming it isn’t that important. The plan is to get the inline relay and use the wireless switches as suggested (thankfully I have a few spare of these anyway).

One question that my electrician asked is once the inline relay is in would the normal LW switch work – on the basis the neutral is fed to the inline relay and the switch would be drawing it’s power from there rather than the light itself.

Many thanks again.

nevetsecirp says:

nevetsecirp
    Participant

You cannot power a relay from a normal switch as again the relay needs to be capable of dimming for the switch to work

LWRF light switches in several rooms, WIFI Link, Energy Monitor, Socket x3 and multiple On/Off adapters. PIR controlling lights and doorbell utilising light feature. TRV's for heating. Relays for garden and outside lamps Linked with Amazon Alexa via a dot
     Pacman52 says:

Pacman52
    Participant

Ok thank you for the clarification.

michael ward says:

michael ward
    Participant

Firstly all LED’s are dimmable, it is just the way they dim which varies. Mostly the dimmable variety are colour balanced, if the are sans type dimmers.

If you check out the LightwveRF dimmer, it states 10W to whatever is maximum. This means that there needs to be a 10W load minimum for the dimmer to work. Just make sure there is a 10W load, by adding a small LED light if you want.

Present usage Master Double Ganged switch and Single slave switch, can be disposed of .
    You can just use a triple relay switch (cheaper than buying singles) to control the power to the lights.

With Lightwave devices I think you can have up to 6 other devices linked.
    So in place of the switches, you would have a RF relay switch for the inside lights and a RF relay for the outside lights. These are then linked to the RF switches.

I don’t see a need for a master switch as you can turn each on individually. I guess this comes from the way it was wired in originally.
    With lightwaveRF you don’t need wired switches to operate certain dimmers or RF relays. I guess the type of dimmer you have gone for is a wired type, but these can be controlled remotely, anyhow.

You can link switches together so they operate a single light ( as in a stair light) or you can link other devices into the switches (light level or motion detection)
    I have lights linked to a daylight sensor to turn the lights on at dusk and off via a timer.

Pacman52 says:

Pacman52
    Participant

Hi Michael, thanks for your reply and the explanation. My plan is and as suggested to go down the triple relay route and use wireless switches paired to the relay to control the lights. I only ever wanted to be able to turn them on and off to be honest wasn’t worried about being able to dim either of the lights (inside or on the balcony).

Just out of interest what is the difference between an inline relay and an inline dimmer?

Thanks again Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.