Latest app update

This topic contains 31 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  wire@tesco.net 55 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
     Merv300 says:

Merv300
    Participant

New app installed on my ipad and now fid that lightwave have revoved the output indicator on the heating, you,use to be able to see if the boiler was calling for heat (on) or if the heating was switched off, now this is now longer visble you have to go tomthe physical stat to check it which defeats the object of using the ipad or phone to alter the temperature. What a backward step, why take it out?

Merv300
     SlowJoe says:

SlowJoe
    Participant

In addition to not being able to see if the the thermostat is calling for heat I cant see where you change the mode, for example when going on holiday I could put it into “Holiday Mode” for the number of days away using my app. Another up date with no help on how to access the features…thats assuming they are still available.

I will be looking closely at alternatives rather than going to generation 2, especially with the noise the radiator valves make.

wire@tesco.net says:

wire@tesco.net
    Participant

Is holiday mode still accessible from the new app? It is essential for my set up as I use to control the heating in a holiday cottage

Jonesy10 says:

Jonesy10
    Participant

The update app has various issues. Modes have dissappeared, link details are not available and also when tweaking the temperature on heating schedules it throws an error message. I’ve raised a ticket with Lightwave and my Thermostat was flashing as modes were being adjusted this morning so I assume they’re looking into it

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

It may be little consolation but the loss of Link details is also happening with the old App. It used to happen sporadically to both my Links (I have one old style Gen 1 and one new style Gen 1 link) and was usually cured by power cycling. On Monday night, out of the blue, one of my rooms fired off an ALL OFF command plunging us into temporary darkness. I suspect something has been, and still is, happening centrally but given the current state of LWRF systems I’m sufficiently paranoid not to disconnect either Link in case it can’t reconnect. I have three thermostats which so far are continuing to behave but I have not tried changing any settings.

Their software development verges on the unbelievable. Did no-one (as in actual user) get to see their latest offering and comment? Was there a Beta program? The Mode function on the thermostat was always flaky but I understood from long exchanges with LWRF that the issues were in firmware rather than software; you could at least change Mode even if it didn’t always work as expected!

This forum has been a godsend inasmuch as it has convinced me not to update my App.

wire@tesco.net says:

wire@tesco.net
    Participant

How do you create an update that removes functionality and goes backwards?

The modes have always been poor but at least Holiday Mode worked on my ipad. The property I control with Lightwaverf is 150 miles away from where I live and it not occupied all the time. The frost mode, very unhelpfully, reverted to normal running mode the next day and the “work around” was to use Holiday Mode as a way of holding the heating to its set back temperature for long periods ( up to 28 days). With no access to modes in the updated app this is no longer possible.
    I also presume that if somebody, in the remote property, puts the thermostat into Holiday Mode manually I now have no way of remotely putting the heating back into running mode!
    Come on Lightwaverf please sort this out and in future please email us users to warn us of updates to the app, so we are not scuppered by the auto update messing up our systems.
    Poor does not come close to describing your approach to upgrades.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

Just a quick response. I don’t think anyone from LWRF lurks here, or if they do they remain silent. I have used LWRF stuff for years and while they have had their ups and downs (especially their software) it did look as though they were getting their act together until now. I have always found that an online submission to their help desk was the best way to get a response although that might be less true just now if they are inundated with the double whammy of Gen 2 and rubbish App update. Nevertheless put in a ticket or they won’t know you have a problem.

http://lightwavehelpdesk.megamanuk.com/index.php?a=add

Merv300 says:

Merv300
    Participant

I got so fed up with the new app I found that light wave have the old app version available under the name of Deta Connect. I tried this on one device first and it synced straight away, now working again exactly as It did before, back to normal after the disasterous last update.

Merv300
     Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

Very useful. Thanks. Do you know if it works with iOs 11?

Merv300 says:

Merv300
    Participant

Tried Deta Connect on an older iPad using version 10 but still using the
    using Lightwave rf old version on phone which is on ios11 so don’t see why it don’t see why it won’t work

Merv300
     Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

Thanks. I guess the only thing to do is try it and see! Incidentally to anyone with two Links who hasn’t updated the App you can run Deta and LWRF old version at the same time and access both Links without having to login and out to switch; at least I can on iOs 9.3.

wire@tesco.net says:

wire@tesco.net
    Participant

Thank you for the heads up Re DETA. It is typical of LWRF that us users have to scratch about to find a “work around” to make their poor software do what we need it to do. I have switched off auto update on DATA on my iPad to try and preserve the old app.

Antyronnen says:

Antyronnen
    Participant

This may be of interest if you run Apple iOs and Mac. It IS possible to download earlier versions of Apps from the App store and although a bit involved it works. Given the availability of Deta (rebadged earlier LWRF App) this will only be of interest if you have ‘upgraded’ to the latest LWRF App and wish you hadn’t AND you want to have two Apps running two Links without the need to login and logout to switch, or you are setting up a new Apple device and want to download the earlier LWRF App rather than be forced to install the new one

You will need Apple Mac iTunes version 12.6.2 or earlier (the last one to give access to the iOs App store – downgrading through updates is not peculiar to LWRF) and a piece of software called Charlesproxy. Two links to descriptions of the process are at the end of this post. In essence the procedure involves examining the request to the App store to download an App and then the response from the App store. The previous versions of Apps are listed as numerical codes and once you have identified the code relating to the version you want the final ‘request’ is edited to request that one rather than the latest version. Once downloaded to your App library it can be dragged across to your connected Apple device.

A lot of the description given in the links below is of the process to discover the relevant code for the earlier App version; to save you all time the code for the earlier LWRF App (0.0.47) is 817051568. This will make more sense once you’ve followed the instructions. It took me a few goes to work out exactly what needed to be done at each stage but it does work. I used Charlesproxy v.3 but only because I found the interface easier and the descriptions apply (as far as I can tell) to the most recent v.4. The second link has a video describing the process as well.

https://medium.com/@dixitakansha15/how-to-download-older-version-of-latest-ios-app-from-appstore-91c28d2407d9

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/12/25/how-to-download-older-versions-of-ios-apps/

allan says:

allan
    Participant

I concur. Why remove functionality? I have an iPad and android phone and had already commented on the fact that the android app didn’t have the on/off heating indication, and I am sure I was told this was being worked on so I was waiting on this being added to android…..never expected that they would remove it from the iOS app. How do we now know whether the heating is on or off?…why do I need to source a retrospective app to get this functionality….put it back, and work on the addition to android……..need to support all generation devices, as if support for gen1 devices tails off, then I will be looking for alternatives for home automation.

Jonesy10 says:

Jonesy10
    Participant

New update to the app has the on/off heating indication feature back, however I still can’t find the modes section that was so very handy.
    I have a ticket still open with Lightwaverf which I have updated to say as much too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.