Large Site installation – 3 linked hubs – app only affects one

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Large Site installa…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Large Site installation – 3 linked hubs – app only affects one

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Noghar 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
     Noghar says:

Noghar
    Participant

I have a big house and I wanted to control the outside lights with LWRF. It took three hubs and I had to contact LW to have them linked together. Now all three appear in the SETTINGS section of the app.

Oddly I can control all the lights at once manually through the Web page, switching the three sections on and off.

But I CAN’T automate it. If I set up a timer it will ONLY control the lights on one hub – the last hub that I was talking to through the app. So the three hubs are linked through the app but not in any useful sense. (And as I paid LWRF £50 to link each hub on their server I would like to get more value for my money)

I am calling LWRF tomorrow for help with this but wondered if any forum users had useful insights to offer. I have tried setting up different timers for each hub, and even setting up controls through IFTTT. No joy.

Noghar says:

Noghar
    Participant

OK, since no-one replied, I’ll reply to myself with what I learned doing this.

First using the Web application I renamed each hub with a nickname – Garage Link, House Link, and Shed link, so I would know which one I was working with.

This was important because LWRF tech support told me that I had to create specific Events and Timers for each hub individually. Linking the Hubs just means that all three are available from one account. It does not mean they all act in unison from one command.

On the Web app it was easy to create an event. it forces you to choose a Hub as the first step.

In the Android app, it means going to Settings, and choosing one hub from the three.

Starting with Garage, I –

Created a Mood for Garage – All On Full.
    Created an Event for Garage -Garage On – which called up that mood – All On Full.
    Created a Timer for Garage – which called up the event Garage On – at a time I specified – dusk.
    Created a timer for Garage – which called up the command All Off – at a time I specified – dawn.

And I had to repeat this sequence for each hub in turn. So I started with six default events – Home and Away for each hub (which I did not touch) and added 6 more events – Garage On/Off, House On/Off, Shed On/Off. And timers for each of those events.

However all this was made more complicated by my switching between an app on my Android tablet and the PC Web interface. I was creating and deleting events on the server with my PC and then creating and deleting other events on the hub with my tablet. The hub and server would get out of sync and events would exist on one but not the other. That was the cause of much cursing.

The Android app offers a settings item to sync the Webserver to the Hub, or the other way round, but process does not always work well, and events and timers seem to lose their names and get garbled.

For simplicity’s sake it’s best to work exclusively through the Webserver at first. Creating an Event on the Webserver you have to start by choosing a specific hub. This is a vital step that is easier to overlook on the Android app.

(Also, the Android app can access all the relevant data from the user account, but the device itself needs to be registered with all the Hubs. Which means going to each hub, logging out of the app, logging in again, and waiting for the Hub to flash, then pressing the link button on the top. This is laborious and fiddly and there’s no way of telling for sure if it has worked, except an absence of error messages.)

LWRF tech support said in May 2017 that the Android app lacked polish compared to the iOS one and it is in the process of being revised.

With much trial and error I succeeded in creating dusk-to-dawn lighting throughout my site. I did try to create an event that would turn some lights off in the small hours, but that failed for some reason which I shall have a look at when I find the energy.

Hope this helps somebody. LWRF will be ubiquitous someday but it still has a few rough edges and is not as intuitive as it could be.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Noghar

Fiftysomething gadget freak, the wife's despair. My garden office has LWRF controlled lights and heating, with voice commands thanks to Alexa...

View all posts by