JSJSLW830 drywall installation query

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting JSJSLW830 drywall installation query

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mrmwink 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
     mrmwink says:

mrmwink
    Participant

Hi,

I have a few lightwaverf devices but this is the first I want to use to control an appliance. I have a 600w heater that is currently cabled into a switched fused spur, I want to use the 3000w relay between the fused switch and the appliance to allow control. What I don’t understand though is what I should do with the relay, it seems wrong to have it hidden and just dangling in the drywall void, plus I’ll need access to then pair it anyway.

So, do I instead cable everything in but have the relay essentially on the plasterboard wall by the socket with the cables coming through the wall from the switch, again this seems odd as then they’ll be exposed cables!?

Am I missing something or is this simply the wrong piece of kit for the job?

Thanks

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

As you say, I wouldn’t put it behind the plasterboard.

Perhaps a suitable solution would be to put a double pattress box in/on the wall next to the switched spur, put the relay in that, and then cover with a blanking plate?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-2-gang-47mm-dry-lining-box/45057
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-ice-white-double-blank-plate/85553

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
      Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
       mrmwink says:

mrmwink
      Participant

You’re a genius, what a cunning plan, thanks

mrmwink says:

mrmwink
      Participant

Update, item is too large for a double pattress box, any other ideas!?

Jules says:

Jules
      Participant

Hmm… what dimension is too big? I have an LW830 which is surface mounted in my airing cupboard to control the immersion heater. I’ve not tried, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t fit in a surface or flush mounted pattress box that’s 143mm x 83mm x 47mm, like the one I linked to. LightwaveRF specs say dimensions of relay are 135mm x 65mm x 37mm.

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
        Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 4 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
         mrmwink says:

mrmwink
        Participant

The pattress box dimensions do no account for the internals so the clips where the screws go, tried everyway round but not even if I removed the screw tabs off the relay would it fit!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.