IOS8 Homekit

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Chester 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
     Teamgrimesdan says:

Teamgrimesdan
    Participant

Hi,

Was just reading the latest info on IOS8 and got very excited by homekit. I have a wifilink at home that controls all my lights, but I couldn’t see any mention of lightwave being supported. Does anyone know if Lightwave will be supported by Homekit?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Dan

durosity says:

durosity
    Participant

Considering how fast LWRF have been at releasing updates and hardware, i think it’s safe to say that if they ever do you can expect it in 2020…. :( (it would be pretty awesome though)

Colin says:

Colin
    Participant

I am confident that this is just the shot in the arm LightwaveRF needs. Apple is not interested in manufacturing or distributing light switches. It needs manufacturers like LightwaveRF, and i am confident that there will be a liitle sticker on our equipment indicating that it is iPhone compatible.
    I hope so, any way, otherwise the ton of LightwaveRF equipment I have invested in is going obsolete very rapidly…

Teamgrimesdan says:

Teamgrimesdan
    Participant

Agreed, they must do it, it will be a great sales point for them, and I can’t imagine it will be that complicated. Fingers crossed for an announcement soon.

ScubyD says:

ScubyD
    Participant

2020 is probably a little pessimistic… but equally I agree with the sentiment and so I’d be incredibly surprised if Lightwave adopted / supported Apple’s new standard any time soon. I’d predict 2-3 years for Lightwave to add support… and that’s only if it really takes off and the rest of the competition have already done it.

keirjohnharry says:

keirjohnharry
    Participant

I would love this feature , just looks like apple took the initiative and contacted the light developers to get them on board , I think it’ll take that to get lightwave to do that as they’re probably busy.

Something like this would be amazing – http://modmyi.com/content/15088-smart-led-bulb-maker-philips-teases-ios-8-notification-center-widget-bulb-control.html

CaffeineJunkie says:

CaffeineJunkie
    Participant

I was just about to splash out on fitting my house with a whole set of LightwaveRF kit but I’m going to hold out until they confirm Homekit compatibility or a competitor does.

markk says:

markk
    Participant

The LightwaveRF light dimmer switches and plug sockets have been around a few years now but, in my opinion, you’d still be hard push to find anything RF controlled that looks as good. That said, there are better, and smarter, ways to control them that the wifi link already so there probably isnt a need to wait for Homekit.

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on model b raspberry pi. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating.
     GlynH says:

GlynH
    Participant

After watching the Keynote from WWDC earlier I searched once again for any news on LWRF supporting Apple HomeKit and came across this hidden gem;

———-snip———-
    9 April 2015
    LightwaveRF Plc
    (AIM: LWRF)

Apple Homekit Development Update

LightwaveRF plc (“LightwaveRF” or the “Company”), the creator of the LightwaveRF Smart Home Platform and products for the Internet of Things enabling households and businesses to remotely operate and control household applications including lighting, power, heating and security using smartphones, tablets, PC and MAC applications, gives the following update of Apple Homekit Development.

Further to the previous announcement on 26 June 2014 where the Company announced that following an approach by Apple, it had been accepted as an Apple MFi developer allowing it to use the Apple MFi logo to promote its products as made for iPod, iPhone and iPad. The Company is now able to update the market that Apple have agreed to assist LightwaveRF in implementing the correct protocol in LightwaveRF’s Weblink in order to enable customers the benefits of using HomeKit with the Company’s product range. HomeKit is a framework in iOS 8 for communicating with and controlling connected accessories in a user’s home.
    ———-snip———-

Is this the worlds best-kept secret because I have not seen this before?

This was straight from the London Stock Exchange and according to other sources shares in LWRF immediately rose +15.5% overnight on this news.

If I was LWRF/Megaman I would be shouting this from the rooftops!

Maybe it just snuck past me unnoticed…

Polite notice to LWRF/Megaman…please don’t screw this up or keep us waiting 3 years for a workable solution.

Does anyone have any update of progress report on this exciting development?

Here’s hoping it won’t be yet another LWRF letdown after getting me all excited that something good is just around the corner and something exciting is going to happen although I dare not hold my breath…

-=Glyn=-

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Glyn,
    You can sign up for LWRF email alerts at http://www.rnsalert.com and you’ll never miss another announcement.
    :)

GlynH says:

GlynH
    Participant

Thanks for the tip Node Zero but I seem to spend half my life trying to unsubscribe from things I never even signed up for in the first place!

My point was IF indeed LWRF are still going down this road one would have thought they would be hollering from the rooftops that they are involved with the biggest name in consumer electronics/mobile devices and soon-to-be Home Automation with Homekit.

The fact that they are not and based on so many hollow promises in the past does not fill me with confidence.

I cannot think of any Company that has squandered so many opportunities to make something really good of a fantastic concept that have bungled, deceived and failed to live up to any of them.

LWRF could have been the premier name in home automation and the go-to choice for installers & end-users but have failed to capitalise on any of it from manufacture to support.

I was just hoping beyond hope they would finally come good and ride on Apples coattails as a last hurrah.

The fact that the silence is deafening leads me to think they have screwed this opportunity up as well.

Go on LWRF/Megaman…prove my hunch wrong, grasp the bull by the horns and actually do something tangible for once rather than feeble, half-hearted announcements that whittle away into failed promises and vapourware.

-=Glyn=-

Chester says:

Chester
    Participant

This is indeed very good news. Don’t forget that Apple’s HomeKit is still quite early in its development and early adopter manufacturers will be helping shape HK, where I don’t think LWRF is that company; more that they’ll want to integrate with the ecosystem, or join the party.

This is fabulous for anyone who’s already invested in IOS devices and the Apple ecosystem, and LWRF products. I wonder if this means there will be a revision 3 of the LWRF Link.

Chester
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.