Inline dimmer – lights on at maximum brightness before reaching dim level set

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > Installation and… > Inline dimmer –… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Inline dimmer – lights on at maximum brightness before reaching dim level set

This topic contains 28 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  8ruce 3 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
     cndawes says:

cndawes
    Participant

Interesting … I’ve not got any to try but do you think you’re sending a number of commands one after the other as you slide across or something else ?

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Interesting … I’ve not got any to try but do you think you’re sending a number of commands one after the other as you slide across or something else ?

I’m really not sure. I think I might need to work out how to capture the packets on my PC and see if I can trap what’s being sent from the tablet.

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

I’ve just had a brainwave / breakthrough!

The dimmer socket does exactly what I need the inline dimmer to do. I just paired up a dimmer socket (connected to a lamp with halogen bulb) with a mood switch. I set moods at “dim” and “bright”. If I turned the socket off and then pressed the mood button for dim, it simply dimmed up to that level. It’ll happily switch between off / dim / brighter without needing to go via “maximum brightness”.

So, a hack would be to mount some dimmer sockets in the loft, with leads going from them to sets of lights. This doesn’t sound like the sort of thing an electrician would be keen on though. It’d mean either having power sockets on a lighting circuit, or lights on a power circuit. Not sure which would be better…. Plus I guess an inline dimmer has been tailored to work with a wider variety of dimmable LEDs than the dimmer socket. Mind you, I could cope with using halogens if it means getting the dim functionality I need.

I’d love to be able to communicate with someone at LightwaveRF about the design decisions for the inline dimmer. Unfortunately I can’t get beyond the support people…

biggles_no1 says:

biggles_no1
    Participant

LightwaveRF are a complete joke of a company. I wasted so many emails with the support dept about these #@%$ inline dimmers.

I have 9 of the inline dimmers installed downstairs. 7 of them for the inside lighting + 2 of them outside for the rear garden lights.

LightwaveRF refuse to accept that there is anything wrong with operation of these dimmers, going to full brightness before dimming. They are claiming it is done for LED compatibility. If that was the case why don’t the wall mounted dimmer switches behave the same way?? It’s complete BS. They refused to give me a full refund because I had already installed them. After many many messages they did offer a partial refund but I told them where to stick that.

I think that the actual problem with these inline dimmers must be in the firmware that controls the “mood” presets. From what I can gather, each device can store 5 mood presets.

I think what normally happens is that the remote controls basically send a blanket command to its paired devices to activate mood # and it is the firmware inside the device that dictates how it activates the mood setting. i.e. fading UP with the wall mounted dimmers and socket dimmers, or, going to max brightness and fading DOWN with the inline dimmers. It’s complete b@ll@cks if you ask me. Would it really have been so difficult to have a simple switch on the side that changes the dimming behaviour between dimming up or dimming down?!?!?!?! Even if they didn’t want to add another physical switch then maybe 3 quick presses of the paring switch, or something like that to switch behaviour.

Anyway, yes I also discovered that by using the app through the WIFI box you can actually fade UP from the off position and you can store these as events (preset configurations). I think they must get stored in the Lightwave WIFI box? The only problem for me is that there does not appear to be any way to get several inline dimmers fading up at the same time. They come on one-at-a-time with a bit of a pause between each one.

I have all 7 of my inside inline dimmers mounted under the stairs near the consumer unit. So it would be relatively easy to actually replace the inline dimmers with a couple of 4 channel wall mounted dimmers instead. But it would be even more expense and, of course all that money I wasted on buying the inline dimmers.

I have resigned myself to accept the current situation until I can afford to replace it with a different system. One thing is for sure I will not spend a single penny more on LightwaveRF stuff. My friends also would never buy it based on my experiences.

LightwaveRF have shot themselves in the foot as far as I am concerned.

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

If you’re fed up of the LWRF offerings, try the fibaro dimmers (Z-Wave).

Excellent :)

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

speaking of fibaro. guess where i am

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Polski?

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

fibaro uk HQ

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Woo… please say hi from Neil @ BMS Link lol

biggles_no1 says:

biggles_no1
    Participant

I already spent a lot of money (over £800) on LightwaveRF stuff so I can’t justify (or afford), to dump it all at the moment. But thanks for the recommendation I will certainly research it.

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Ouch. Good Luck :)

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

I suspect the 100% brightness at power on is actually to provide better support for dimmable compact fluorescent lamps which need the full voltage to start up and are then happier to take a lower voltage to dim them once lit. LED’s IMHO are less picky about this.

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Going to 100% an back to level is how the Home Easy dimmers operate.

Not something I could live with.

8ruce says:

8ruce
    Participant

I too am VERY disappointed with the Lightwave LF “dimmer” switches.

Full brightness start-up is USELESS – why would you ever want that

Switch mis-switching other circuit is DANGEROUS

This nonsense should be stated CLEARLY on the packaging.

DISGUSTED, and want my money back. Not suitable for advertised use. Not what I paid for.

See you on Twitter soon LwRF!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.