Inline dimmer – lights on at maximum brightness before reaching dim level set

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting Inline dimmer – lights on at maximum brightness before reaching dim level set

This topic contains 28 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  8ruce 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
     SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

The electrical work for my new kitchen has just been completed, including some inline dimmers for the new (dimmable) LED ceiling lights.

I’ve paired them with a mood switch, and my plan was to have one of the moods tun the lights on very low for when the dogs ask to go out in the night. That would give just enough light to see the back door and not bump into things, and not be too much of a shock to our sleepy eyes.

After setting the dim levels and trying them out though, it seems the lights first come on at full brightness and then dim down to the required level. This completely defeats my intention, as you get pretty much blinded by the maximum brightness for the first second or so and may as well not have bothered with the subsequent low setting! I’ve left the setting on the dimmers at the minimum as I don’t get any flicker, even at the lowest dim level – not sure if that’s relevant.

I’m really hoping this isn’t how they’re supposed to work – it seems rather poor if so. Hoping someone can explain this bizarre behaviour!

Matt says:

Matt
    Participant

I have noticed the same from the master mood switch when using the main on and off buttons.

I’ll try the mood 1-3 buttons to see if you get the same result and also from the LWRF app where you can go straight to a dim level.

Might be that you have to use a sequence or scene and trigger it from the switch instead of going directly to the dimmer.

Also worth logging a support ticket on http://www.lightwaverf.com to see what they say.

Matt

Lighting: LWRF LED strips, In-line dimmers, In-line relays and Plug-in modules, Inputs: Master mood switch, Magnetic door sensors, Handheld remote, Controller: Domoticz running on Raspberry Pi with RFXCom. Plus recently a stack of Z-Wave units!
     Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

Could it be that the dimmable lamps are doing something odd? I have a master mood switch and it has three moods set on it including one with table lamps set to 25%. Granted they are incandescent, but they always come on at 25%, never 100%.

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’m glad (I think) to hear that this is not normal behaviour. For info the bulbs are Megaman 6w dimmable ones. I think it is these – http://www.megamanuk.com/products/led-lamps/professional-series/reflector/gu10/141435/

I have logged a ticket. I’ll update this thread with any response.

Justin says:

Justin
    Participant

Have you adjusted the dimmer curve dial? I noticed on the instructions the you will experience this behaviour after adjustment.

Wifi link, plug in adapter's, wall and mood switches. Heating controls sometime?? We'll see. Lol
     SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Have you adjusted the dimmer curve dial? I noticed on the instructions the you will experience this behaviour after adjustment.

No, I haven’t touched the dial. I assumed that because I get no flickering, I didn’t need to. I was contemplating adjusting it anyway just to see if it mad a difference though….

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

I’ve just had a reply.

I am sorry to read that you are unhappy with the function of our inline dimmer. The illuminating to full brightness then dimming down to the preset, is the way the device was designed.

It was designed to overcome as many LED incompatibility issues as possible. At this point in time LED manufacturers do not make LEDs to any agreed standard, this means that they solve the various technical issues in LED illumination slightly differently with different chips sets. These differences lead to incompatibilities with electronic dimmers. One of these incompatibilities shows itself in some LEDs that will not function unless they are turned on at full brightness.

Hope this helps, please feel free to call me direct if you require further information.

So, it looks like I’m stuck with it working like this. Nice to have a quick response and explanation though.

coxy says:

coxy
    Participant

Might just be a coincidence, but I also had problems with Megaman products, albeit there was 8x 6w Megaman LED GU10′s on a normal LWRF dimmer switch, which would flicker pretty much all the time. Could be something in their chipsets that is incompatible with LWRF

LightwaveRF for electrics, Harmony Home for gadgets, Nest for heating, and now toying with IFTTT
     Glassdome says:

Glassdome
    Participant

Hi there. I have just bought one of these. I too have the same issue in that no matter what level of dimming I turn the light on to, the lights go to 100% and then dim down to the chosen level. I read above that this is part of the intended design, but it is quite a flaw. We are using this inline relay for bathroom lighting, the idea was that at night we could have the lights on a dimmed level if we wanted to go into the bathroom. The reality is, we take our kids to the bathroom and turn on to a preset of 25%. Instead we get 300 watts of bright light for 4 seconds and then they dim. It is like having a flood light shone in your face.

Is there no way around this?

If not, it is a shame as it defeats part of the purpose of having them. Maybe lightwaverf could consider adding a bypass switch to bypass this feature.

Also, please lightwaverf fix the app / improve the app. It crashes a fair bit with ios7.

Cheers

biggles_no1 says:

biggles_no1
    Participant

I am also having the same problem. I am using halogen bulbs not led bulbs.

I am coming to the end of complete refurb of my house and initially i bought a couple of 3 gang wall dimmers for the bedrooms to try them out. These operate as expected and fade up to the preset dim level.

I was so pleased with them that decided to cancel the system that I had originally planned for the ground floor, (professionally installed lucid lighting system), and bought 10 inline dimmers and 5 scene controllers. What a massive and expensive mistake I have made. The inline dimmers do not behave the same way as the wall dimmers. As others have said, they go to full brightness before coming down to the stored level. It’s ridiculous. The room lights up to blinding levels, ( lots of down lighters and some big chandeliers), before coming down to the more sensible levels that I have preset.

I am so upset.

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I’m now about to redecorate a cinema room and I’d like to replace my current Futronix dimmer with something RF controlled. After watching a film (lights off) I need to be able to dim the lights up to a low level while our eyes adjust, so the above described (frankly illogical) inline dimmer functionality is no good. Can anyone suggest any way I can accomplish this with LightwaveRF? If not, what would be a reasonably priced alternative?

Thanks

Richard

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Try a fibaro dimmer. They great :D

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

skiv do you know a gu10 led that works well with fibaro?

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Thanks for the info skiv. Sounds like I’d better do some Investigating of fibaro / z-wave.

I’ve invested quite a bit of time & money already in LightwaveRF so I’d really like to stick with it, but I don’t see how I can when this fundamental part of their product line seems to have broken functionality. I’m actually amazed that this isn’t causing an issue for more people – the dimmer simply does not work in a reasonable way.

SadGamerGeek says:

SadGamerGeek
    Participant

Just discovered something interesting. The inline dimmer can do a proper “dim up” start, but only when I turn the lights on by dragging the slider in the app!

So, this isn’t a hardware limitation, nor is it something done (as the manufacturers suggest) because of some LED specific reason. It rather seems to be that the inline dimmer isn’t being sent the correct code from the remote/mood switch to allow this!

Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.