In line relay LED bulb question

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting In line relay LED bulb question

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  muumipeikko 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
     reyno_gr says:

reyno_gr
    Participant

Sorry if this has been asked before (I’m sure it has but I can’t find the answer).

1. Will a Lightwave RF in line relay (on / off only) work with an LED bulb? I want to remotely switch a 30w LED Hut Floodlight using a JSJS LW821 inline relay. I know LED’s are sensitive and I would like confirmation before I try installing it.

2. (Linked to the above) Can I use a similar relay between a plug and a 12V LED lighting transformer to control my LED under cabinet lighting?

Thanks,

Guy

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

The answer is yes to both your questions. You could also use JSJS LW830 which has the added feature of a built in ‘off’ timer which can be quite useful. Don’t try and use the dimmable relay or wall dimmer switch as this will (probably) not work but I assume you already know this.

shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

Hi,

I’m new to Lightwaverf, point number 2 of the original post looks like what I’m trying to do but it’s not working and I can’t figure out why.

I have an LW821 currently being powered by wiring the live and neutral wires from a plug with a 13A fuse.

To this I am connecting a 12v 18w transformer from Maplin…

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/18w-led-lighting-transformer-n28ju

INPUT: 200-240VAC 0.3A
    OUTPUT: +12V 1.5A

I connected the blue to the left hand load terminal and the brown to the COM terminal and connected a jumper between the Mains live and COM terminals.

The only thing connected to the transformer at the moment is a 12v LED strobe flasher, while I do testing.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/low-profile-xenon-flasher-unit-blue-zc15r

12V 1W 180mA

I can here clicking when I press the remote but the LED light doesn’t come on, I thought I got a faulty relay so I exchanged for a new one, but same issue.
    I know the transformer and LED work as I wired the plug directly to the transformer and it worked.
    I’m no sparky, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

markk says:

markk
    Participant

You need a neutral in and out. Can you post a pic of your wiring?

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

L and N of your mains go to the L and N input of the relay.

N of your LED transformer also goes to the N input

A jumper from the L input goes to COM

The L of your LED transformer then go to either of the switched relay outputs depending on what sense you want it to operate.

I.e. the relay gets its input from the N input plus the switched L input.

The manual is a little misleading in that it doesn’t show the explicit wiring needed for the Neutral side of the load.

shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

Hi Markk,

I have attached a picture of my wiring, as I believe this is how the manual suggested.

Hi Btidey,

Are you saying that I need to put the
    Transformer blue wire in with the Mains blue wire.
    Jumper stays as is.
    And the brown of the transformer to go to the left hand load terminal.

If you could show a diagram, that would be great.

Thanks

shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

Sorry my first attempt at attaching a picture didn’t go very well.

So I have drawn in paint for now, hope it makes sense.

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

Another attempt at pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

On IMG_0318 move the brown wire of the transformer to where the blue wire of the transformer is. Move the blue wire of the transformer to be in parallel with blue wire of the power mains in.

Note that I think you need to understand a bit more about what the relay is doing here. It would be easy to wire this up to go bang.

On this device the three relay contacts are a common and two load terminals. It performs just like a two way switch. In one relay position the common is connected to one load terminal. When the relay is activated then the common is flipped over to the other load terminal.

So in your original wiring. The brown of the transformer was permanently connected to live. In one relay position the neutral of the transformer was open so nothing happened. In the other relay position the neutral of the transformer was also connected to live. As both sides of the transformer were connected to the same thing there was effectively no volts across the transformer so again nothing happened.

shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

That makes perfect sense, you should have wrote the manual :-)

Looking at the wiring now after I made the changes, you can see how it would work.
    And it does work, LED is now flashing!

Thanks for all the help and advise.

akwillows says:

akwillows
    Participant

Hi Shaf/Btidey

Could you just confirm that the correct wiring is as you show on the right in your “wiring.jpg”? Reading the instructions that came with the relay, I would also have done it as you did in IMG_0318.
    Thanks!

shaf says:

shaf
    Participant

Hi AK,

That’s right, the correct wiring is on the right of wiring.jpg

It’s working perfectly for me.

Thanks

akwillows says:

akwillows
    Participant

Thanks Shaf – just got round to wiring it up and it works like a dream. Cheers!

muumipeikko says:

muumipeikko
    Participant

This makes sense but has anyone followed the lightwave official video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV25-9sVNfI

I followed this to the letter even though I didn’t fully believe it and needless to say nothing worked they even have the mains cross lead… I ended up buying a 3 way as they just work out the box…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.