Imminent price rises and an offer from Lightwaverf.co.uk

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Imminent price rise… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Imminent price rises and an offer from Lightwaverf.co.uk

This topic contains 33 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  stu-e 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
     JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

I take your point ref page 85 and the graphic reference on page 82 and note that reference is made to the JSJSW500 when coupled with mention of the iPhone / Android Apps. Perhaps the most telling comment comes at the top of page 97 which says “New 868Mhz Bi-directional Technology” which would come with a new app.

There could be an offering of the two products side by side, I have not researched in great detail as, if buying an additional link, I cannot see myself going for the 500 over the 930.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

The 500 and the 930 are two completely different things. The 930 has no network capability. The two way 868Mhz frequency will only apply to the Heating products and Professional triggers.

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

Clearly you have been given information different to that which I received during an investor briefing … only time will tell.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Clearly.
    I was under the impression that the 930 was created to allow the current 433 devices to talk to the 500 on the 868 frequency, so that an existing PIR or hand/wall remote could send its signal when triggered to the 930 which then relays it to the 500 so a sequence can be started etc.

As such, there exists a strong possibility that the price rises predicted may come in with other two way devices enabling them to indicate the status. This is useful in knowing whether a switch is on or off etc. and takes LightwaveRF into the “big league” of home automation.

Can I ask if the above quote is also based on your investor briefing?

I really hope the 930 is a replacement for the 500 and that all the niggles of the 500 have now been addressed. I will happily buy one and replace all my switches and sockets with 2 way enabled ones but there are 10000+ other users who may not agree and as a fellow investor I am not sure if what you have hinted at is a step forward.

Like you say, we’ll just have to see. I’m sure 2014 will be full of surprises.

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

I fear we stray off topic a little and it has become just the two of us contribution to this discussion. I do not own shares in JSJSDesign and my briefing was as, for want of a better expression, a “dragon investor”. For reasons I shall not expand on, I did not invest but during the decision-making process, I studied the home automation market and purchased a quantity of LightwaveRF product to install in a home of mine and get a real feel for the product.

Whilst LightwaveRF may enjoy a customer base of 10,000+, as an investor, you may have recognised that, despite excellent design, quality and retrofit abilities, the lack of “status” information, modular design, quality software interfaces etc. present challenges to its mass market appeal. With companies like Walmart (ASDA in UK) fully entering the arena and ZWave control being increasingly simplified, home automation will move from wealthy or techie to mainstream in the next 5 years, covering various aspects of security, energy management, disability and enhanced living.

In my opinion, if the 930 does not have the capacity to replace the 500 but only serves as yet another layer, this introduces further complexity in a market limited by this factor. Companies that simply management, retrofit and interact with other devices will succeed, the hobbyist companies will find themselves unable to compete and those 10,000+ users will suffer in the medium to long term.

stu-e says:

stu-e
    Participant

I fear we stray off topic a little and it has become just the two of us contribution to this discussion.

It’s interesting to read your views on this. I guess there’s a bit of supposition, a bit of guesswork based on experience, and some interpretation of information previously released. As I previously said, my main aim is to ensure that anything I’m buying (or trying to buy) now isn’t going to become obsolete in a matter of weeks.

The whole thread’s a bit like the eternal speculation of what’s coming in the next iPhone. Except I’m actually interested in this.

echase says:

echase
    Participant

As you are pining for another voice I will add something. Having just bought 2 old technology LW900 valves. (I think you are saying these are made by Siemens) and LW901 thermostats, I wondered if I should be returning them, as still within time to do this, and wait for the new 868MHz valves. But based on above the 500 controller seems to still be able to control them, if not read their status, so seems best to keep them even though the new 868MHz valves are allegedly available from Amazon at a similar price. Am I right?

markk says:

markk
    Participant

I bought two of the old type valves from b&q as I thought they should do what I need them to. However, the new app has no way of controlling them. In an attempt to pair them I used the old app which does have the heating option on it but following the instructions supplies with them they wouldn’t pair. I raised a ticket with LWRF about this on 7 December and received an automatic response to say they might be a while getting back to me. Anyway, no-one did so I returned them to B&q just before Xmas. I eventually got a reply from LWRF on 27 December telling me to try the old app. Too late, tried that!

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

I’m pretty sure that the new LightwaveRF Link is just a screen-less replacement for the existing unit.

The existing unit has both 433 and 868 RxTx capability.

I believe the the new 868 heating equipment will become functional with a firmware update.

I’m using a few of the old style TRV alongside the new technoline valves operating on an open-shut control principle based on control from virtual thermostats.

Working lovely.

The new slave room stat units will allow me to use LWRF for temp monitoring, instead of RFXCOM :)

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

Is there any truth in the rumours about lightwave “pro”. Where the switches will give feedback?

JustMe says:

JustMe
    Participant

True though there is speculation and last minute changes. LWRF only has a limited window within which to get its act together before other stylish products come into play.

When all is said and done, in my personal opinion, their software is what I am finding most limiting and I have already been forced to look at alternatives to manage the installation I have.

If I were hoping à la iPhone, I would hope for much better software, modular components (especially in light switches – torches, CO2 monitors etc would be a welcome 2 gang addition to a single light switch for example), better systems integration with other suppliers such as curtain motors and security systems, control capability from Filemaker Pro and improved packaging.

That said, I am still waiting for the iPhone to be a secure device.

Reacting to the comment about “Pro”, I do hope so. I have not continued with the details after ruling out acquisition though I would be a sure bet customer for a “Pro” version.

Jaspernet.house2
    Participant

I have just ordered a jsjslw500 WiFi link for £70 – should I return/cancel and wait?I have no experience really and would appreciate your thoughts?

Thanks,

Shan

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

I don’t think anyone know’s for sure but from what dealings i’ve had, the old wifilink has all the tech required to work with the new heating stuff and beyond.

It’ll just need a firmware update.

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

I still can’t see why we are saying old/new wifi link. The JSJSLW500 is right there in the soon to be current promo brochure. Whatever it is that the 930 does I’m sure it won’t negate the need for a 500.

stuartridout says:

stuartridout
    Participant

@ddwindy – Did you ever sell your Stainless Steel lightswitches?

Just starting! 3 x double LightwaveRF dimmers, 1 x single dimmer, 2 x double sockets, 1 x WiFi link, 1 x energy monitor, Pauly's awesome LWRF GEM, IFTTT automation
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by