How to connect a New/Replacement Link Controller

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting How to connect a New/Replacement Link Controller

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  h3mp 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
     grahamfrewin says:

grahamfrewin
    Participant

My old generation 1 controller suffered a total hardware failure, so I’ve bought the latest version controller to replace it.

I can’t find anywhere in the app or on the web app to add a new controller. In fact, I can’t even delete the old controller unless I delete all attached devices, and I can’t see how to do that either!?

Any clues as to how to start using this new controller?

Jules says:

Jules
    Participant

If you give LightwaveRF tech support dept. a call and give them the MAC address of both old and new Lightwave Links along with your email address, I expect they’ll be able to re-associate things on their server. I don’t think all generation 1 devices work with the new link yet though.

My Mazda CX-3 Blog: jtonline.info
      Home automation: 1 x LW930 Lightwave Link / 4 x LW400WH Dimmer / 1 x LW205 Wire-Free Switch / 6 x LW381 Basic On/Off Socket / 1 x LW830 In-line Relay 3000W / 1 x Echo / 2 x Echo Dot / 1 x Harmony Companion.
       geoffpreston says:

geoffpreston
      Participant

Do you mean you replaced your Gen1 link with a Gen2 link – known as Link Plus? If so, it seems you have to start re-linking devices and re-entering timers. My understanding is that there is no way of copying data on a Gen1 Link (eg JSJSLW93) to the Gen2 Link Plus. If anyone knows differently, I’d love to hear from you.

grahamfrewin says:

grahamfrewin
      Participant

Yes, I attempted to replace a faulty Gen1 link with a new Gen2 (Link Plus).

However, I can’t link the new Gen2 until I have removed the Gen1.

I can’t remove the Gen1 as it has devices/routines associated with it which simply will not delete.

So I can’t link the new Gen2 to my app/account.

And therefore, I currently have a house full of Lightwave devices I can’t manage!

h3mp says:

h3mp
      Participant

that’s not right..
      I have a gen1 link and a gen2 link plus on the same account, bothing running in parallel
      You certainly don’t need to remove the Gen1 first

geoffpreston says:

geoffpreston
      Participant

According to Lightwave technical support, if you replace any Link with any other Link (eg any Gen1 Link to any other Gen1 Link or any Gen1 Link to Link Plus) you have to start again. That means all timers have to be re-entered, all moods have to be re-set up and every light switch, relay and socket has to be re-paired so all those relays you carefully hid away in wall spaces and inside patresses because they can’t be left in the open because of shock danger, have to be opened up and re-paired.

It’s annoying, but in Lightwave’s defence, I suspect this is out of necessity due to using a MAC address rather than a static IP address for remote control.

geoffpreston says:

geoffpreston
      Participant

That’s what I thought, h3mp – presumably you’re using the Gen1 phone app with the Gen1 Link (eg LW930 or LW500) and the Gen2 app for Link Plus. As pairing Gen1 products to Link Plus is apparently so flakey, that would seem to be the best solution.

h3mp says:

h3mp
      Participant

indeed – there is no way to transfer of anything between the gen1 link/app and gen2 link/app
      There is no technical reason why it would be impossible to move settings from gen1 to gen2 – but they just haven’t implemented it in this way.

In the Gen1 app/link i have all my Gen 1 devices

In the Gen2 app/link, i have both all my old gen1 and my new gen2 devices (all devices had to be paired from scratch)

my username and password is the same for both gen1 and gen2 apps – so it is the same account.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.