how can i use a noemal switch and lightwave

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting how can i use a noemal switch and lightwave

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
     markrider says:

markrider
    Participant

Hi I’m quite new to lightwave I have a few switches and relays,
    but I want to know if there is a way of using a standard switch and may be a relay to light a light
    So for instance I want to keep my normal switch in the living room but also want to control the light from app so can have it coming on and off, remotely.
    is that possible ?

thanks

Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

In theory: yes and no.
    In practice: no.
    1 the online dimmer needs a neutral connection.
    2. If the live on the relay is connected via your “normal” switch, nothing will work if the switch is off.

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

It depends a bit on what you are trying to achieve between the normal switch and a lightwaverf relay.

You could wire the relay in parallel with a normal switch. This would mean that if the manual switch was off then the app could turn the relay (light) on and off. If the switch was on then the light would be on regardless of the state of the relay.

If you wired the relay as a changeover then in principle it could act as a two way together with the switch but that would necessitate having two way wiring to the manual switch. It would also mean that the relay would act as a toggle rather than a pure on / off.

markrider says:

markrider
    Participant

Basically the front room light I don’t want a lightwave switch .
    But want to use the light to come on when I’m not there.
    That’s what I thought Grunfos .
    But was hoping there was a way. btudiey so that sound though it would work.
    Trying to think of the way you wire it up.
    It’s just one switch

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

It sounds like first scheme should meet your needs. I.e. if normal switch is off then lightwaverf can control it.

If you have access to the ceiling space then you can put the lightwaverf relay in there. Power the relay from the standard live/neutral. Connect the two wires that go to the switch to the COM and Device 1 of the relay as well as going to the switch still.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.