Heating system setup with 3 heat circuits

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General Smart Home… > Heating system setu…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General Smart Home Technology Discussion Heating system setup with 3 heat circuits

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  skiv71 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
     john_dublin says:

john_dublin
    Participant

Hi All,

First post on the forum, I have being watching LightwaveRF with interest over the last few years, TBH I wasn’t too interested in just the plugs / lights controls but wanted more of a whole house control, I think with the current products this looks more feasible now.

I am getting our gas heating system updated and want to have control over the boiler and each of the 3 heating circuits (Hot Water, Radiators Upstairs and Downstairs). I don’t need the granularity of each radiator so the TRV control seems a bit much and pricey for now. All of the radiators will have their own standard TRV obviously.

The system I am proposing is the Boiler Control and then using 3 x the 500W relays to control motorised valves, the values have not being purchased yet but I am basing my assumptions on one that are closed by default and open when energised (by 240V I assume).

Attached is a diagram of what I was thinking.

I guess the question I had were as follows:

1) Do you think this will work?
    2) I was going to use the power switch from the relay is that the way to do it?
    3) I assume in the Light wave App I can time the boiler and respective relays to turn on etc.. at the desired times easily enough?
    4) The boiler switch has a boost button, could I pair this to control the relays also so they open when needed?
    5) I intend on adding a either the Heating home thermostats controls or thermostats in each circuit in the future could these be paired with the boiler switch and the relays as well?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     john_dublin says:

john_dublin
    Participant

Anyone got any suggestions on this?

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Use a tech whereby you know the state of those contacts :)

and control it locally instead of hoping for the cloud :)

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     john_dublin says:

john_dublin
    Participant

sorry i am confused are you saying this wont work or there are better solutions not using LightwaveRF? I want to add remote support as me all have erratic work schedules and want to be able to turn on / off the heating remotely.

I guess i could use a triple light switch for the motorized valves i looked at one at the weekend that only needed 5W to switch. that would also give manual control

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

If you use LWRF to control those relay’s (and ultimately the heating), you’ll have no way of knowing what the current state of any devices are (or whether its actually worked).

Also, with LWRF, the automated controls are restricted to time based schedules and if you search the forum you’ll see no end of posts complaining of triggers failing to operate.

The wifi link is highly dependent on the LWRF cloud.

In the current climate, the only control system i’d recommend is Z-Wave.

It’s a true 2-way based network, with main controller and security too.

I use Z-Wave almost entirely now and integrate it into my BMS system which (as LWRF say) runs the show :D

HTH

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     john_dublin says:

john_dublin
    Participant

Ok I think I get it so you use a BM<S system as the gateway and using that you can combine z-wave controls (bi-directional) with the lightwaveRF equipment as well, is that right?

What gateway do you need to run the BMS link, is there an app as well?

Can it be run on a raspberry pie?

Sorry thought I understood it all now you have thrown me a curve ball!

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

The point of the BMS Link, is to provide a means of controlling different tech’s from a common platform (both local and WAN).

Regarding Z-Wave, I’ve explored and implemented 2 options: -

RazberryPI GPIO board on a RPI – this is ok, but in reality the RPI is not man enough for a reliable 24/7 instance. I had issues (as have other users) with the z-way-server locking up and comms between the PI and the GPIO board freezing, requiring a hard power cycle.

Z-Stick (with z-way-server support) – this is made by the same people who give us the Razberry, buts its simply a USB stick. I’ve found this to be much more reliable, with no issues running a 24/7 setup.

If you want true, reliable automation with a large number of devices (from multiple manufacturer’s), a network infrastructure that supports mesh repeating and is inherently secure and long established, Z-Wave is the way forward.

By putting it into BMS Link, you can mix the Z-Wave tech with others (I still use temp sensors, external PIR with the RFXCOM) and fully automate your install as per your requirements (i.e. time based triggers, logic based triggers, physical device triggers).

It’s the same interface, whether you are local and remote and because it sits on your LAN, it operates reliably.

Remote connectivity is set up automatically via UPnP and you can have a dns name to remotely access your system (i.e. myhouse.bmslink.co.uk).

Also of note, BMS Link is now free for personal use :) (limited to a single licenses per interface, i.e. 1 off Z-Stick, 1 off RFXCOM, 1 off Wifi Link).

I also have other interfaces that might be of interest.

The system can talk to dd-wrt routers (and soon openwrt). You can then detect the presence of users based on mobile devices and bring this into the automation (i.e. no one home, disable heating).

I’m also going to be implementing PushOver notifications, so you can easily get notifications to your phone on any event you like (i.e. PIR movement, over temp in a zone).

I’ve bought a Wifi / IR transceiver too, so will look at implementing that into the system too.

HTH

Neil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.