Heating Controls – What do we know

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > LightwaveRF Product… > Heating Controls –… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums LightwaveRF Product Range Heating Controls – What do we know

This topic contains 175 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  mrashton 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 176 total)
  • Author
     Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

Djtomkins – look at the PDFs on smartshop, they go into more detail than .house. If you read manuals for all three components, I think the conclusion you come to is the one I’ve written above

bellissimo says:

bellissimo
    Participant

@djtomkins If you have the boiler pump on unnecessarily, this would presumably waste approx. 100W of energy per hour. Over the course of a year, this could potentially add up to a reasonable sum of money, depending on your heating requirements/setup. Anyway, as nothing categorically confirms that the TRVs can control the boiler switch, then it is a bit of a moot point at the moment anyway until someone actually gets their hands on the full set of kit.

However I agree with everything else you say, and I too would get most benefit out of having programmable TRVs. The boiler switch and home/room stats would be nice, but probably a bit of a luxury.

The thing I struggle with is the best way to set up the TRVs (and this is not specific to the LWRF ones, but a general quandary). I already have a home stat, and all the rads apart from the bathroom have a TRV fitted. To ensure that the TRVs can fire up in any particular room, then I have to ensure that the home stat does not turn the boiler off during the times that I have the heating on. To do this I either have to turn down the rad in the room that the home stat is in (which means that the dining room can get too cold), or I need to turn up the temperature on the stat so that it can not be achieved (which means that the bathroom will get too hot as it does not have a TRV). So I either end up with one cold room, or one hot room :)

I guess this will be easier with a programmable TRV for the dining room though as it should be easier to set it to a temperature just below the home stat’s target temperature.

PhilC says:

PhilC
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, comments, tiptop.
    seems one way of doing it, but isnt it a shame that LWRF had a proper programmable proto type of a decent boiler control and never bothered to follow it up, with a bit of rumaging you can find pictures of it on the web.

i also used the link on their website to ask about hot water heating, the reply i got is below, LWRF ; brilliant product, from a company run by idiots, and customer service team that dont care..

Good Afternoon Phil,

Many thanks for your enquiry.

I suggest you speak to our technical team. You can contact them on 01707 386035 or submit a helpdesk ticket at: http://www.megamanuk.com/lightwaverf/helpdesk/

thought this was the idea of their link, getting to the end of the line with the poxy company !!
    whos going to buy heating controls without full details / spec of what the can and cant do, maybe they’ll tell us in 2015..

Gone in at the deep end and learning with RPI, RFX, Conrad, WiFi link, 5 PIRs, 5 Door sensors, 18 light switches, 22 sockets and 4 Mood controllers all running on Domoticz. Normal comment I get is, whats wrong with just turning on a switch....
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

As I understand it the TRVs talk to the boiler switch, so you need one.

Meloquin says:

Meloquin
    Participant

Hi, hope that this is the correct thread! I’ve been waiting for the heating controls to become available, and now that they are, seem unable to find supporting documents so am not sure whether it’ll actually work for me, or if I’ll need relays too.
    I don’t have a combi boiler, it’s a gas boiler with hot water tank, a combined HW/CH timer, with remotely located thermostat – any guidance as to what will work – or where I can find some PDFs! HELP!

Relative newbie, 11 room switches, 4 wall sockets, 9 plug in adapters, PIR sensor, energy monitor.
     Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant
     Meloquin says:

Meloquin
    Participant

Thanks Node Zero, So from a quick scan it’s just focussed on central heating (I can’t be the only one with the 2 systems integrated), looks like i’ll need a relay and set schedules for the hot water – not going to be as easy as I thought……

Relative newbie, 11 room switches, 4 wall sockets, 9 plug in adapters, PIR sensor, energy monitor.
     skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Looks to me as central automation might be governed by the cloud and commands issued via the wifi link

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

if you have an s plan system using two x two port valves then it can be done. If you have a y plan system that uses a 3 port valve then i dont think it can be done.

Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

I’ve ordered a boiler switch, trv and thermostat from responselectronics (aka Securicare) today with courier delivery, so I am hoping I will be able to shed some light on things tomorrow, assuming no lies about stock and crap service! Thanks nodezero for posting the smartshop pdf links directly into the thread, should help inform the debate. :-)

tiptoptrump says:

tiptoptrump
    Participant

I stand corrected. The TRV’s cannot control the boiler switch directly, according to the switch instructions.

“To achieve smartphone control of the Boiler, it must always be linked to a LightwaveRF Home Thermostat which in turn must be linked to the Lightwave Link.”

I thought the lightwave link was the controller here, but it seems you need the thermostat to control it too.
    It makes sense because the boiler switch and the Home thermostat are the only things that can work independently of the lightwave link.

Davey says:

Davey
    Participant

so the trv says yes need heat now. sends a signal to the home stat that then relaya the signal to the boiler switch?

Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

I stand corrected. The TRV’s cannot control the boiler switch directly, according to the switch instructions.

“To achieve smartphone control of the Boiler, it must always be linked to a LightwaveRF Home Thermostat which in turn must be linked to the Lightwave Link.”

I thought the lightwave link was the controller here, but it seems you need the thermostat to control it too.
    It makes sense because the boiler switch and the Home thermostat are the only things that can work independently of the lightwave link.

This is what I was trying to get at. Also means stat per room = more cash for LWRF

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

The wifi link (lightwave link) has no intelligence whatsoever, its just a means of bridging network to RF.

Thus allowing for apps and the cloud to control/update devices.

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

But the app / thermostat do

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by