Heating Controls – What do we know

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > LightwaveRF Product… > Heating Controls –… > Page 12

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums LightwaveRF Product Range Heating Controls – What do we know

This topic contains 175 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  mrashton 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 166 through 176 (of 176 total)
  • Author
     Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

Email I just received. Confirms the balls up with the manuals…

Exciting news from LightwaveRF
    View this email in your browser

Launch of the LightwaveRF Snug™ heating range
    We are pleased to announce the UK launch of Snug™ wireless thermostat radiator valves, boiler switches and home thermostats to achieve fully remote controlled heating of your home; enabling you to save money and match your busy lifestyle.

As an existing user of LightwaveRF lighting and power products Snug™ will integrate with your existing LightwaveRF Link to the internet and LightwaveRF App. For new installations Snug™ will require a LightwaveRF Link and the LightwaveRF App.

For further details of the LightwaveRF Snug™ home heating system please click here.

Details of where to buy LightwaveRF Snug™ are on the website of our UK Distribution partner Megaman.

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING SNUG INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
    If you have already purchased LightwaveRF Snug™ heating we need you to check that it has the latest version of the instruction manual.

Unfortunately, some products in the LightwaveRF heating range were issued with instruction manuals that do not reflect the latest software and could result in installation problems.

The correct instruction manual states VERSION 2 on the front and back page. If the instructions with your product do not state VERSION 2 please be aware that you do not need to return the product, simply click here to obtain the correct VERSION 2 electronic printable instruction manual for your product.

You will also see useful installation support videos.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience if you have been supplied with an incompatible instruction manual.

Thank You

-The LightwaveRF Team

Copyright © 2014 LightwaveRF Technology Ltd, All rights reserved.
    You are receiving this email because you have a LightwaveRF account.

Our mailing address is:
    LightwaveRF Technology Ltd
    Faraday Wharf
    Holt StreetBirmingham, West Midlands B7 4BB
    United Kingdom

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Yes, I got this but after some emails from me first thing this morning, whether there is a connection I know not. Customer service is something out of this world.

Having emailed to say the TRVs do not fit and are to be returned and at the same time cancelling the bulk of my order which they seemed to have forgotten to send, I got a response that firstly said my order was going to be delivered today. I could understand that if my email had not yet been read but it was in answer to my email cancelling it and they even attached my email.

I then got an email re the two TRVs I was returning asking me to confirm they were unopened. I told them not so as how could I find out if they fitted and were fit for purpose without opening the packaging. I had also pointed out that the goods did not do what it was said they would do nor did they perform in accordance with the supplied manual.

The response to this was that as I had opened the package I could not return them! I have advised them of the content of the Sale of Goods Act and the distant selling regulations which they do not seem to know exist. I have heard no more and have posted the TRVs back to them. I expect a refund. If it is not there I will issue proceedings in the County Court.

It seems since they changed how the stuff is marketed, using other bodies to do it, there is a couldn’t care less attitude to customer service, never mind the law. Now they send an email that effectively admits there are problems with the product. Taken 2 years to get to this position. A legal maxim ‘res ipsa loquitor’
    Customer care seems to be low on their priority list.

esjayhch says:

esjayhch
    Participant

The reasoning why the heating controls don’t do what people would have liked them to do are now well understood, because ultimately it would have required some fairly complicated state control. This approach is inconsistent with the philosophy that has been adopted with development of the other parts of their equipment (no two way comms, no polling of state etc – incidentally these features don’t exist because it requires a whole security model to be developed to prevent unwanted people from saying “are you on”). The biggest reason why they didn’t do this is probably simplicity. It’s all very well saying “they should do this” but added features creates added complexity and with it a whole headache of the infinite ‘use cases’ that come along with that (eg how do you cater for zones without trvs, I could go on but the list is near infinite so I shall stop at that). Ultimately the hardware either has to do it natively through it’s interface, or you need to be able to reprogram them remotely to accommodate it. We often forget that we are effectively the installers, and as such can absorb a level of technicality. The users however are not so forgiving.

It would be possible however to do something resembling a “call for heat” function remotely though, however it would either have to be coded into the cloud app (which it wouldn’t surprise me if they did that – eventually) or to directly interface with the system via another agent (namely some custom software either interacting with the wifilink or acting independently of it to poll the individual temperatures and check it against it’s state machine and issue appropriate boiler commands). It’s nothing that over the top and would get 90% of the way there, except probably for the “boost” command given that the TRVs don’t apparently send any state back to anything useful in this regard.

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Yet the likes of Honeywell with Evohome manage to achieve all this and include hot water control.

Bedford says:

Bedford
    Participant

Having purchased the Home Thermostat and a Radiator Valve Controller (TRV) Stat.

DRAFT

The most simple method is to use the Radiator Valve (TRV) Controller and the Apple App (or Android) and LWLink Unit nothing else.

We used my kitchen Radiator which had a Myson TRV in situ. This was unscrewed and fitted the “Type A’ black plastic adapter, and using the 17mm black plastic pin. ( Plastic Pin: Lengths 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 24mm).

A basic functionally test was conducted by my brother (very logical brain). As at 24th September 2014
    Apple App Version: LWRF Link Unit 2.90N

Link each valve to the App and that is it.

Using Only The Radiator Valve(TRV) Controller :

Another Method using the Home Thermostat

To control a zone, or number of rooms together, you can use a Home Thermostat.

a) Link the Home Thermostat to the App
    b) Link each TRV Controller the the Home Thermostat

[DO NOT LINK THE TRV CONTROLLERS TO THE APP]

You can control the TRV Control from the Home Thermostat and set the Home Thermostat from the App.

Will review later

Bedford says:

Bedford
    Participant

Update to Quote 16008.

As at 1st October 2014
    LWRF Link Box Firmware U2.91C
    Apple App..Version 0204 (0200)

Using the only LWRF Rad Valve* linked to the Apple App it seems to be very stable.

I like the information on the App ” Last Updated 01 Oct 11:55:45″ which I believe confirms the connectivity.

Likewise, all the other information for the temperatures:

TARGET

NEXT CHANGE

NEXT TARGET

*Correction used the 19mm Plastic Pin

It looks like the Firmware/Software Bugs are now getting sorted.

phil01 says:

phil01
    Participant

New Video released on installing the lightwaveRF TRV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6Vv86bNHw

andycee says:

andycee
    Participant

Boy am I glad I found this thread before spending over a grand of my hard earned money on Lightwave heating control kit !

Apologies if I haven’t read every single post in the thread, but can I take it in summary that :

* TRV’s cannot request boiler heat by turning it on
    * Only the wall thermostat controls the boiler receiver switch

My application is that (without the need for a central thermostat) I’d like individual rooms to have separate daily temperature profiles, and ONLY when any one has a requirement for heat will the boiler turn on. One particularly cold room with my child in it needs low level heating throughout the night.

So it looks like the only way to do this is to have the boiler on 24 hours a day, pump running, circulating water through the pipes with all that heat loss, just in case a thermostat opens and a room requires heat ?????

I can’t believe they have got it so wrong, Lightwave seem to have been more interested in providing a system based around existing heating designs rather then something with marginal intelligence. Its not exactly rocket science !

This post mentions using a relay to control the boiler (switching the heating control, not power). Does anybody know if this works ? I mean, how do you program the system to use the relay ?
    http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk/forums/topic/boiler-control-4/

thanks

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Your summation is my understanding. I wanted complete control for each room. That was what LWRF said was coming for some two years. When it came it did not do that. Plus the TRV controllers are very noisy. At night time, when all us quiet I think you would find the sound very intrusive. I sent mine back, got a refund and paid the extra for Evohome. Great system, does all that is needed, better heat balance throughout the house and every room is a zone. Including the conservatory. Temporary overrides are easy to handle. With Evohome care is needed to ensure it is correctly installed. Read the book that comes with it. There is a helpful forum to be found at

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?13-Heating-Control

Lots of good advice there. I installed it last December and have no regrets at all.

TheMoebius says:

TheMoebius
    Participant

Holy thread necro, Batman!

This was a really interesting read. Thank goodness I discovered it before I splashed out on a system.

Am I right in thinking that the functions we require are now available? TRVs can actually individually call for heat? Looks like it according to this page: https://support.lightwaverf.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001572631-Can-a-TRV-turn-on-my-Boiler-call-for-heat-

Also. An even more important question, does anyone else get the impression that the company is about to go bust? I just get that vibe from them for some reason. If they went bust then all cloud features would stop working and we’d all be in trouble.

I await your replies :D

mrashton says:

mrashton
    Participant

Yes, TRVs can be set to call for heat but (as far as I’m aware) only if you are using GEN 1 and then only via the Web App.

As for LWRF going bust, I do hope not and looking at their Press releases they have just agreed with John Lewis to distribute the product set via their online and bricks and mortar stores. Hopefully this is a positive sign.

Viewing 11 posts - 166 through 176 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by