Heating Controls – What do we know

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > LightwaveRF Product… > Heating Controls –… > Page 11

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums LightwaveRF Product Range Heating Controls – What do we know

This topic contains 175 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  mrashton 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 176 total)
  • Author
     tiptoptrump says:

tiptoptrump
    Participant

To use differential heating correctly you have to seperate the rooms you are heating.
    If you have a cold hall then you dont sit in your warm lounge with the door open.

it doesn’t take long for you to work out what the optimum setpoint is for the House Stat, which will then also allow optimum temperatures in the rooms you want to keep comfortable. But as I said earlier (and shot down in flame) the LW setup is an antiquated system blended with some neat internet gadgetry.

The cost savings come from not over heating the rooms you are not using at a certain time of day. Lounge at night. Bedroom during the day.

I agree the cost savings will be limited with the LW setup.

As I said before All my TRV’s can call for heat in whatever room they are in. So if I want the Lounge to be cosy and the rest of the house to be less cosy the boiler fires up and the water circulates around the only radiator i need heating. You will always get some losses as the water has got to flow round the circuit, but as it is not going to any other radiators that is minimal but my system uses the an automatic bypass valve instead of a non TRV Radiator so I can effectively heat just one room.

markk says:

markk
    Participant

Markk

Yeah.. But before being completely disparaging about them, the point is that these trv’s can be remotely programmed and polled for their view of the temp

Is the reason you want to be able to see the temperature of the room when you are not at home so that you can remotely get it to a comfortable temperature before you get home?

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     djtomkins says:

djtomkins
    Participant

Is that basically saying you put the main stat in the coldest area, and then set it to the highest temp I might ever need, and the let it constantly keep the boiler on trying to get that coldest area to the highest temp I might ever need?

No – my stat will be set to 12 degrees overnight, and 18 degrees during the day/evening. The 18 degree trigger should be a fair one to judge whether it is cold enough outside to warrant heating at all. This is a discussion I have often had with my wife – if you aren’t wearing a jumper outside, the heating doesn’t need to be on no matter how cold you feel!

Then, all my rooms are on TRV schedules. Provided the failsafe (i.e. its more than 18 degrees in the hall) doesn’t trigger, then the rooms will all tend towards the temperatures they are set.

As with anyone who lives in a 1930s house, I keep doors shut which tends to avoid bleed between rooms (which is good habit for efficiency anyway in any house).

Your point about your 24 degree room I don’t get – if it will never get to 24 degrees, then no automation system, other than coupled with a bigger radiator or better insulation, will ever get you to that temperature. You are better choosing a realistic temperature for the room. That said, your LWRF stat should be on a schedule anyway so it won’t be on constantly.

In essence, I’ll end up with a standard all house TRV set up (like I already have), except you’ll be able to schedule patterns for each room (that may be overriden by the main stat or timer) and can also override them from the sofa or from the pub.

Unless I’m missing something?

Two floors tooled up for light and power! Lighting circuits: 5 x 1 gang, 5 x 2 gang, 3 x 3 gang, 6 relay circuits, mainly LEDHut 5W LEDs (91!) but also outdoor SON lamps, LED kitchen lights, LED candle bulbs, halogen bulbs and a dimmable CFL, 5 mood controllers, two remote switches, 2 PIRs. Power: one remote socket, 9 plug in modules. Patiently waited for the heating modules for years, and am a little underwhelmed....flirting with evohome....and please don't tell me "there is a better way" and try to sel
     djtomkins says:

djtomkins
    Participant

You mean, just like you can do with a normal TRV costing a little over a fiver?

If that’s your argument, then lets talk light switches….. LWRF switches are no different to having normal light switches and then bothering your arse to go switch them on and off!

Two floors tooled up for light and power! Lighting circuits: 5 x 1 gang, 5 x 2 gang, 3 x 3 gang, 6 relay circuits, mainly LEDHut 5W LEDs (91!) but also outdoor SON lamps, LED kitchen lights, LED candle bulbs, halogen bulbs and a dimmable CFL, 5 mood controllers, two remote switches, 2 PIRs. Power: one remote socket, 9 plug in modules. Patiently waited for the heating modules for years, and am a little underwhelmed....flirting with evohome....and please don't tell me "there is a better way" and try to sel
     Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

Markk

Personally I want to be able to see and change the temp of the room when I am at home, ideally from a wall stat that anyone even a technophobe can use.

And personally I don’t like the idea of relying on a stat right next to the radiator

I do want to be able to control the radiators without getting on my hands and knees each time, but personally I think I want this solution to be a call for the boiler when I want to boost temps reactively.

I only posted that sentence because you compared the trv’s to traditional £5 ones. I’m not defending the system – it was me who bought first assuming / hoping it would call for heat and then fearing it would not when I read the manuals

djtomkins says:

djtomkins
    Participant

djtomkins wrote:
    Well, I’ve installed my (two so far) TRVs and I have to say I rather like it all. I like the app, I like the fact that I can schedule the house to heat the zones I want not those I don’t at every minute of the day.

Have you had any problems with pairing or communication with the trv’s ? I’ve found that after a while thing stop working and the wifilink needs rebooting. I was tearing my hair out this morning because all our garage door fobs had stopped working. After deciding it couldn’t be possible for all batteries to run out at the same time, nor for the garage door receiver to have lost power, it occured to me to reboot my wifilink. Instant fix. My garage door receiver uses 868. Something about the link had got in a mess and was stopping anything from communicating!

You might be onto something here. My evening light timers didn’t come on at usual times this evening.

Will keep an eye on it….

Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

Your point about your 24 degree room I don’t get – if it will never get to 24 degrees, then no automation system, other than coupled with a bigger radiator or better insulation, will ever get you to that temperature. You are better choosing a realistic temperature for the room. That said, your LWRF stat should be on a schedule anyway so it won’t be on constantly.

In essence, I’ll end up with a standard all house TRV set up (like I already have), except you’ll be able to schedule patterns for each room (that may be overriden by the main stat or timer) and can also override them from the sofa or from the pub.

My boiler will need to be fired for a much shorter period of time to drive up the temp in my (small, single level) lounge to 24c, than it would to drive my (large, two levels) hall to 24c.

So I would rather call for 24c in one small room when I need it, than drive my boiler firing loads by telling a large room to aim for 24c, and then dial back elsewhere

markk says:

markk
    Participant

markk wrote:
    You mean, just like you can do with a normal TRV costing a little over a fiver?

If that’s your argument, then lets talk light switches….. LWRF switches are no different to having normal light switches and then bothering your arse to go switch them on and off!

LOL, good point :)

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     markk says:

markk
    Participant

Markk

Personally I want to be able to see and change the temp of the room when I am at home, ideally from a wall stat that anyone even a technophobe can use.

And personally I don’t like the idea of relying on a stat right next to the radiator

I do want to be able to control the radiators without getting on my hands and knees each time, but personally I think I want this solution to be a call for the boiler when I want to boost temps reactively.

I only posted that sentence because you compared the trv’s to traditional £5 ones. I’m not defending the system – it was me who bought first assuming / hoping it would call for heat and then fearing it would not when I read the manuals

I completely agree. I think we are both, rather sarcastically, expressing our disappointment at the absence of some features many were hoping for and, quite frankly, expecting as a minimum after three years of expectation!

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Djtomkijs – you may find your light switches work fine tomorrow night. There is a glitch in current software such that if you add anything and/or sync etc. then some timers get postponed by at least 24 hours before they start operating. I understand this is being put right in the next IOS upgrade.

Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

The android app was updated again over night. Not sure if this will have fixed the problem, but I spotted that LWRF are very active on posting feedback to reviews on the google play store – lots of stuff about fixing the energy monitor and the recognising of wifi location

rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

Have faith, there’s hope!!!

Paddchas says:

Paddchas
    Participant

At the risk of dragging up the whole ‘call for heat’ debate, just noticed that the PDF on lightwaverf.house has at some point had its diagram updated to remove the line to the boiler switch. Picture now clearly shows the boiler switch as a slave to the wall stat only

Not sure there’s much to have faith in at the moment rhlangdon. As someone who was expecting this capability, what are your thoughts now you know it can’t do it – similar to djtomkins and bellissimo?

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

Have they removed the ‘wifi link’ note… “runs the show” ?

:P

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     rhlangdon says:

rhlangdon
    Participant

My thoughts? I will still go with it as I will have easier control of the radiators.

I wonder if setting the main thermostat that it seems now is the overall controller at a higher temperature than the TRVs will result in a solution as if the main thermostat thinks heat is needed but if all the TRVs are saying “no” then perhaps the boiler will not fire up and it will only be when a room temperature falls below the setting on the main thermostat that it starts up. Would this make sense?

Anyway the fact that the on line copy of the manual has been quietly and discretely amended shows they are reading what we are saying!!! As the TRVs can receive messages from the app and also it seems talk to the thermostat via the WiFi link then it may be only a software or firmware modification to provide what we all want and were lead to believe we were getting.

Richard.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chris

Chris works as a techie for a large IT service provider. He is a geek at heart and loves nothing more than trying to automate his home. The problem is, his wife simply doesn't get it and can't understand why they can't have 'normal' lights like everyone else! Chris is dedicated therefore to implementing automation in a family friendly way.

View all posts by