Heating….

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  charliehorse 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
     charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Hi All
    I recently bought the Thermostat and then discovered it was 868mhz so had to buy the Boiler Switch to try to get it to work.
    I previously had an inline switch on the thermostat loop that worked quite well even remotely but the timers are limited.
    The new 868 thermostat and boiler switch are not as simple a matter. I woke at 7:00am to hear the heating was on.
    It was not due to come on till 17:00. It came on a few times during the day too, all randomly.
    It seems to have settled down now so we will see.
    Anyway, does anyone know if there is a way to remotely switch the heating on or off manually?
    There is no dedicated On or Off switch on the Android app.
    It would be useful if say, you went out for a few hours and turned the heat off. You could switch it back on on the way home.
    Maybe I am missing something here. I get an error when I tried linking the boiler switch with the phone. Maybe its only to be paired with the thermostat but that does not give a manual On Off to override the timer. I was hoping for a boiler switch control or manual override control under the thermostat one on the phone app but no such luck.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Woke again last night by heating. It had randomly switched on again at stupid o’clock. It had switched off at 23:00 like it was due to.
    There are no green On sections in the timer between 23:00 and 17:00 next day so it should have stayed off till 17:00.
    I did not think to check the display (half asleep) on the thermostat but it could only be either it switched to Constant or something else triggered the boiler switch. My premises is quite isolated from outside interference, nothing else that I know of uses 868.
    Has anyone else had this problem ?
    The lights in the showroom had not come on this morning on their timer either. Going to try resetting the Wifi link and downloading settings.
    This Lightwave thing is like a full time job. And need nursing in the night. Looks like I will be going back to my 20 year old Sunvik timer.

Chris says:

Chris
    Key Master

For what it is worth, my understanding is that the heating is never really off, just “set back”. If the measured temperature drops below the set back point, the boiler will fire up regardless of the time. The idea is that it takes less energy to keep, and warm up from, a relatively low set back temperature to a comfort temperature than it does to heat from completely off to comfort level. Check the set back point you have in your app/thermostat. I think it defaults to about 15 degrees.

Chris Mills Founder and Editor - LightwaveRF Community http://cpmills.com/ http://lightwaverfcommunity.org.uk
     charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Thanks Chris for that.
    I have the setback set to 15 now and Target at 22. Maybe that explains the triggering in the night if the temp dropped below the setback.
    I think Setback was set at 21 and Target at 22. I thought that Target was max temp and Setback was minimum temp and the timer controlled when the boiler kicked in so I assumed that those settings would have kept a temp of between 21 and 22 only at the times set on the timer.
    I don’t need or like heat at night (good metabolism) so maybe I could drop the setback some more so it never cuts in outside the timer.
    Pity the manual not clearer.
    Charlie

ger69 says:

ger69
    Participant

Hi Charliehorse

This works for android .

To answer your first post–If you want to manually turn on the heating , open the heating time setting screen and increase the setback temp above what your present room temperature is .

ie if your set back is 15 and, your room temp shows 17 but, you want to turn heating on, increase the setback above 17 and you will see the icon switch to on. you MAY have to “upload to server” to enable this to take effect.

charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Thanks Ger, the help is much appreciated.
    Slowly getting the head around this. I was not familiar with what Setback temp was. My old system just turned on and off on a timer and single setting thermostat.
    So basically am I right to assume that Lightwave and other Setback thermostats work between two temps, the Target being the max and the Setback the min. When Running Boiler tries to keep temp at Target until put into Standby or gets to end of set time sector. After this, if temp drops below Setback, boiler triggers and keeps temp around Setback temp?
    Ger, tried putting setback way up over room temp. (34C). Boiler did not start. I was on the screen with the green timer sections. Commands looked to be going through the WiFi link ok. Where do I see the icon that switches to on? It was during a timed section. I will try tomorrow when the system is between temps and not in a timed section. If ya get my drift..
    Anyone know of a decent manual or guide for the app?
    Charlie

ger69 says:

ger69
    Participant

The “ON” indicator on the phone or pad is the arrow between the temperature circle(which you press to activate a temp change and thus switch on or off manually) and the green screen showing” now time and next”.
    The arrow will point up when on and down when off.

If the system is on during a timed period, you could try lowering the target temp and see if it switches off.

One other thing I think that in order to be able to switch on manually the thermostat must be in “running or standby” mode.

When I first got my unit, I was going away for a weekend and, set my heating for various on /off times –came home to discover my heating had been running for 36hrs –non stop

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

36hrs… that should help the system pay for itself :)

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Looks like the thermostat was not linking with the app despite being “linked ok” several times.
    I deleted the thermostat from the app and re added and re linked. Seems to be working as advised from you guys now.
    I can now turn the boiler on outside the timed sections by upping the Desired Temp. higher than the Current temp.
    It can be turned on by upping the Setback higher than the Current too. I can see it going through the WiFi link so
    presumably it will work from the pub too. Will have to go and test tonight ;-)
    It will be a nice system if it stays working reliably. I have a lighting system too that fails to respond to the timers sometimes.
    Maybe it will improve with time.
    Luckily this forum exists or the whole lot would be landed back to Maplin. Thanks Chris for the forum.
    I did not get a reply from my Lightwave Ticket yet and thats in for two days now

poppybristol says:

poppybristol
    Participant

I have to say that I love my new light waverf thermostat and boiler switch but would LOVE there to be simple boost and standyby buttons in the app. Surely that’s possible as its on the thermostat itself?

Ps. This forum was a big part of my decision to go with lightwaverf for all my lights and heating controls, if it didn’t exist I might have gone with another system, so thank you forum creators and contributors!

charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Yeah, Poppy thats sort of what I was expecting when I tried to link the boiler switch with the app.
    It only links with the thermostat and not the app as far as I can see. (I got an error message)
    Surely it would not be hard to have a simple manual override instead of playing with the setback and desired temp.
    Maybe in an undate but I would not hold my breath.
    A clearer app manual would be helpful too.
    My app does not have in-app help for the heating controls as stated in the skimpy manual (see below).
    Can’t see anything on http://www.lightwave.com either.
    And still no answer for my ticket submitted 11th Feb….Lucky we have this forum ok..

IMPORTANT: For full instructions on how
    to use the Home Thermostat with the App
    or Web App follow the in-App help or visit
    http://www.lightwaverf.com.

charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Still trying to figure out the app.
    Asked for a manual using the Ticket system and eventually got a reply after putting in a few SHOUTS.
    Still no proper manual or link to one.
    Heat came on yesterday morning by itself. Lucky I was here. Looked at the app and it showed 9:30 for the time.
    9:30 is nowhere in my timer settings so where it came from is a mystery to me.
    I push Boost this morning around 9:00 and it came on but turns itself off 15 minutes later.
    About an hour later it comes on itself for about two minutes like someone was controlling it remotely or testing it.
    Setback seems to do nothing. I thought upping it should put the heat on if its put above the current temp…
    During timed periods the temp seems to drop too much before it restarts the boiler making the place cold.
    I have to push the boost button manually. Home automation my swiss roll.
    I am very close to dumping it all back to Maplin. Lights work most of the time but the heating is a joke.
    My simple inline switch worked better.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Is anyone else buying this stuff or am I the only one having trouble with the app?

skiv71 says:

skiv71
    Participant

If you’re interested in proper automation products (and system’s) take a look @ Z-Wave :)

Neil

developer of BMS Link (http://linode.bmslink.co.uk). A cloud based Home Automation platform for LightwaveRF, Z-Wave, RFXCOM.
     charliehorse says:

charliehorse
    Participant

Things seem to have settled down now and working as intended.
    Thanks to Jim at Megaman for explaining the workings of the system and the app.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.