Hall / Upstairs landing issue

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  btidey 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     kieran9990 says:

kieran9990
    Participant

Hi All,

Right I have 3 lw400 dimmers on a few rooms in the house but I know want to put a switch on the hall and upstairs on the landing

At the moment I have a 2 gang switch in the hall and a single upstairs.

The issue I have is that when we had a new consumer unit fitted it was discovered that they shared a neutral meaning every time I switched the upstairs light on from the hall switch it tripped the rcd.

Since then I have only been able to use the hall switch downstairs and the upstairs switch upstairs, I lost the function to switch upstairs on from downstairs if that makes sense.

As I said I’m looking to install lightwave to these 2 switches now, I’m just not sure the correct way to do it ? master and a slave ??

I would appreciate some advice is possible?

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

You could avoid any wiring issues here by using a wire-free switch (JSJSLW201) upstairs to control the standard 2 gang dimmer switch in the hall.

As the wireless switch is battery operated then there will be no conflict.

kieran9990 says:

kieran9990
    Participant

Thanks for the reply,

Is there no way of moving forward without the battery operated unit?

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

Slave unit upstairs would be the standard way to do it. However, there are several different ways 2 way circuits can be wired up and there is no guarantee it would work or not trip the rcd as before.

If you can work out the wiring between the switches and in particular the neutral arrangements then that might help to see if there is a straightforward way forward with a slave arrangement.

Note the battery life of the wire free switches is about 2 years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.