Guide To Setting Up LightWaveRF With Home & Siri via Raspberry Pi

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > LightwaveRF Hackers > Guide To Setting… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums LightwaveRF Hackers Guide To Setting Up LightWaveRF With Home & Siri via Raspberry Pi

This topic contains 30 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  davemee 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
     mole says:

mole
    Participant

Right, got there in the end, seems the room IDs and device IDs listed on the manage.lightwaverf.com site aren’t what my wifilink is using.

R1D1 works fine!

Next issue…. the lightwaverf plugin for home bridge is sending a trailing | which stops the command working. Anybody seen this?

mole says:

mole
    Participant

Am I the only one who’s Wifi Link is ignoring the command with a | at the end?

Homebridge shows:

Sending message: 001,!R1D1FdP32|

Sending the same command 001,!R1D1FdP32 works, as does 001,!R1D1FdP32|| but a single | as Homebridge is sending fails.

Any thoughts?

jamieburchell says:

jamieburchell
    Participant

001,!R1D1F1
    001,!R1D1F1|
    001,!R1D1F1||

All working here. Is the device running the homebridge plugin registered with the WifiLink?

001,!F*p

APSLeisure says:

APSLeisure
    Participant

I have completed the above steps, however, when I issue the command

udp://192.168.20.109:9760/001,!F*p

I get
    -bash: !F*p: event not found

I’m probably doing something silly!!! can someone please advise.

Andrew

jamieburchell says:

jamieburchell
    Participant

I have completed the above steps, however, when I issue the command

udp://192.168.20.109:9760/001,!F*p

I get
    -bash: !F*p: event not found

I’m probably doing something silly!!! can someone please advise.

Andrew

echo -ne '100,!F*p' | nc -u 192.168.yyy.xxx 9760

https://github.com/rooi/homebridge-lightwaverf/blob/master/README.md#how-to-register-your-homebridge-server-on-lightwave-link

davemee says:

davemee
    Participant

Just wanted to pop in to say thanks to Jamie, who was right all along!

I now have HomeBridge (and Siri) talking to LightwaveRF. I’m skipping all the LightwaveRF web interface controls myself (timers, automation, etc) and delegating that control to my AppleTV (I’m a big fan of the plugin that changes ‘cloud’ to ‘butt’ – would much rather this kind of very private data was kept on my systems, thankyouverymuch.)

It’s ridiculously good. There’s some great HomeBridge plugins that tie in security cameras to HomeKit, as well as plugins to detect people (really – their phones) being at home, and being able to trigger events when everyone leaves is a great function not possible with just the bare LightwaveRF hardware.

Really, it strikes me that while every home automation system is scrambling for their own little empires and silos, it’s much better to route around them and tie it all together yourself. You can stick a meta-hub on top of all the other non-compatible hubs and tie it all together through HomeKit. The new updates, with two-way audio, sensors and video feedback is really impressive.

(and anyone else struggling – I just *completely* reset my account in every way possible. Unpaired the hub, ejected all devices from the app, and built the whole thing back up. Keeping the light active on the hub makes life a *lot* easier when putting things together and testing, and – for me – with the new hub, using room numbers of 1, 2, 3 (rather than cross-referencing web page values from lightwaverf) and counting upwards again for items in a room (1, 2, 3) made everything come together in the end.)

(… and one last hint for anyone falling at the first hurdle – watch out for this forum turning straight quotes into smart quotes! When you issue that pairing packet, just make sure it’s the keyboard quote marks, and not fancy typographers’ curly quotes – terminals *hate* curly quotes!)

jamieburchell says:

jamieburchell
    Participant

Glad I could help. Just for info for anyone who doesn’t have an Apple TV – you can use an iPad (maybe only newer ones?) to act as a hub so that you can use the “when I arrive home” and “when I leave home” automation events and access the Home stuff remotely. The iPhone talks to the iPad, the iPad talks to the Homebridge… Homebridge is connected to my knee bone…

Jason_G says:

Jason_G
    Participant

Hi,

I think I know the answer to this, but does using LightwaveRF via Homebridge give the ability to provide status awareness (i.e if a light is already on/off etc)?

I know this is not available natively with LightwaveRF.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

jamieburchell says:

jamieburchell
    Participant

Not unless you only control your devices from Homebridge i.e. don’t touch the physical switches.

aaron13 says:

aaron13
    Participant

I think I have this successfully setup – can anyone tell me if it’s possible to use the home app remotely over 3G to control these devices? Unless I’m on WiFi in the house my phone won’t see the Homebridge as being online. Even tried changing the config.json file to point to the public IP and forward the port but that didn’t work

Cheers

jamieburchell says:

jamieburchell
    Participant

If you have an iPad or AppleTV at your home it can be setup as a “home” hub. When you’re out and about the iPhone can then talk to the hub which can then access the Homebridge.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT207057

Jason_G says:

Jason_G
    Participant

Not unless you only control your devices from Homebridge i.e. don’t touch the physical switches.

So you can see the state of a light (LightwaveRF) if you use Homebridge? Anyone got a screenshot of this?

Cheers

davemee says:

davemee
    Participant

jamieburchell wrote:

So you can see the state of a light (LightwaveRF) if you use Homebridge? Anyone got a screenshot of this?

Cheers

Something like this?

I’m using a few other plugins to provide presence information, which I use to drive lighting, as well as talk to a USB IRToy to control a few IR-based devices. Lights are all on either LightwaveRF mains toggles or wall switches. All of it is driven through a 4th-gen Apple TV and a linux-based Homebridge deployment. I’m planning to migrate it all over to a Pi Zero at some point.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Jason_G says:

Jason_G
    Participant

Something like this?

I’m using a few other plugins to provide presence information, which I use to drive lighting, as well as talk to a USB IRToy to control a few IR-based devices. Lights are all on either LightwaveRF mains toggles or wall switches. All of it is driven through a 4th-gen Apple TV and a linux-based Homebridge deployment. I’m planning to migrate it all over to a Pi Zero at some point.

[/quote]

Erm, you could have literally just helped make a big decision for me!…thanks!…

So just to confirm, you’ve got LightwaveRF wired wall switches, connecting to the LightwaveRF link (their hub), which is connecting to Homebridge running on a Raspberry Pi, which is connecting to an Apple TV 4th Gen for Homekit compatibility?

This therefore gives you the ability to control all your lighting via the Home app on your iPhone within the house and also remotely (away from the house) because it’s set up via the Apple TV. As a result of this set-up, where LightwaveRF natively is not capable of providing status awareness, you have this feature too?

I was thinking I may have to go down the Lutron route, but this could be the solution for me.

Cheers

davemee says:

davemee
    Participant

Something like this?

Erm, you could have literally just helped make a big decision for me!…thanks!…

So just to confirm, you’ve got LightwaveRF wired wall switches, connecting to the LightwaveRF link (their hub), which is connecting to Homebridge running on a Raspberry Pi, which is connecting to an Apple TV 4th Gen for Homekit compatibility?

This therefore gives you the ability to control all your lighting via the Home app on your iPhone within the house and also remotely (away from the house) because it’s set up via the Apple TV. As a result of this set-up, where LightwaveRF natively is not capable of providing status awareness, you have this feature too?

I was thinking I may have to go down the Lutron route, but this could be the solution for me.

Cheers
    [/quote]

Pretty much exactly it (except I’m using a £80 Gigabyte box running Ubuntu – it’s junk – which is why I want to switch over to a Pi).

I also have a Y-Cam 1080p camera talking to it (which I cropped out of this picture).

It detects when I get home (pinging my phone) and turns lights on for me, and HomeKit has some nice built-in automation that isn’t dependant on the cloud. Most of this is running locally, on my LAN, so if someone cuts the phone line, the in-house automation still works. There’s a couple of apps in the AppStore that gives you more in-depth automation setup than the standard HomeKit interface gives you (“if it’s after such a time, and there’s a person at home, change these light settings”). You may notice I’ve taught Siri about chillaxing, so if I shout “Hey siri, Chillax!” the lights turn off and the TV and a DMX-controlled lamp turn on. Equally I can say “Set the lights to 50%” or “Turn off the lights in the living room”.

It really is impressive, what Apple have done with HomeKit. It’s really nice how you can invite (and revoke!) access to your home to other people (with iPhones or iPads, anyway) and on iOS, the swipe-up settings panel exposes your favourite accessories and moods, even when you’re away from the house – and provides real-time feedback about what’s on or off. I have a couple of software sensors wired into HomeKit – WeatherUnderground and presence – which may be useful for heating controls, should I get round to it, but as LightwaveRF is ‘write only’, I’m looking at other platforms for this – I’m thinking MQTT and LoRaWAN, so I’m not dependant on internet connectivity to find out I’ve been broken into!

None of it is using the LightwaveRF app or website.

The *one* thing I’ve not tried yet is having a master/slave light arrangement, which is next on my list, as well as developing some PD patches to create different lighting moods for the DMX lamps (this is a whole new level of action, which requires integrating an Arduino-based DMX controller alongside the HomeKit system – I’m still working this one through).

But yes, just to clarify – if I go hit the light switches, or use a lightwave remote to change them, HomeKit doesn’t find out. The Homebridge layer maintains it’s own state, which may or may not correspond with reality, depending on whether you’ve used the switches or not. Since I set this up, I’ve literally stopped using the light switches, and would be quite happy to do away with them entirely.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.