GU10 LED dimming nirvana (400 series)

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums Installation and Troubleshooting GU10 LED dimming nirvana (400 series)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chester 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
     Chester says:

Chester
    Participant

Hi guys,

I’m looking for the ultimate in dimming range here. I’ve tried some of the Philips Master Value lamps, but even in Dimming Range 1, they don’t seem to go low enough and can flicker a bit.

So have you achieved the ultimate in LED dimming using GU10s and a 400 series dimmer? What lamps did you use?

Many thanks in advance…

Chester
     Chester says:

Chester
    Participant

I found something interesting the other day:
    https://www.downlights.co.uk/faq-dimmable-gu10-leds-downlight-compatibility.html

They test both LWRF switch plates and in-line dimmers (along with others) with a few integrated downlights and GU10s (Megaman). The best result, inevitably, was the Megaman GU10s. It’s disappointing that the Aurora M10s didn’t deliver because it looks like great tech and they’ve recently made that available in GU10 form too. For reference, I’m not connected with Downlights Direct in any way; I just thought it would be a good source of information, and naturally I would suggest if you found the information of use, support them, but since other outlets are cheaper, I leave that to you.

Shame I’m not after 2700K!

In the meantime, I’ve purchased some Philips 930 5.4w MV GU10s (so that’s 90% CRI, 3000K, Mains Voltage) to see if they’re better than the cheaper value units. The reason why I’m looking at all this is I’ve currently got 4 830 4.3w MV GU10s (the Value ones, although you shouldn’t read into that any more as they’re all labelled Value now!) and I’ve had to raise the dimming range level on an LW420 to 2 as they flickered on 1, and the lowest brightness level is pretty high (not sure on percentages and lux, no measuring device here). The 5.4w 930s are advertised as having superior dimming ranges.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
    Cheers…

Chester
     Chester says:

Chester
    Participant

OK, the 930s have turned up, I’ve tested them adding 1 at a time up to 4 on an LW420. I can tell you that the dimming behaviour is quite different to the value bulbs and rather than working at level 2, they need 4 or even 5. Different amounts of bulbs give different results. I’ll add some more detail into this testing later, but one thing I have established and I’m really pleased about this, no glow on standby, even with 1 bulb! Brilliant, er not, ah I’m sure you get it!

Now I do plan on having a circuit with 2 bulbs in, but I couldn’t get a reliable and good dimming range with just 1 or 2, maybe down to 40-50%. So my next thing to try is adding a resistor. Can anyone make any recommendations? I’m guessing 10-15w is good.

Thanks in advance…

Chester
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

ABOUT Chester

Computer/network engineer, AV enthusiast

View all posts by