Generation 2 has just been announced…

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Generation 2 has… > Page 2

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Generation 2 has just been announced…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  stephentheengineer 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
     LEEBOW says:

LEEBOW
    Participant

I just hope that it still uses 433mhz – and not 868mhz or the slight difference used by smartthings.

I have about 30 lightwave relays / plugs – but wanting two-way communication I purchased a smartthings hub and 10 zwave plugs. The signal distance was terrible! Even with the piggyback technology – it was usless. I couldn’t get signal in my garden (so outside house lights didn’t work) and even in top loft room – didn’t work.

The two-way notifications was also very unreliable compared to what I was expecting. You never really knew if the devices were on/off.

The energy monitoring didn’t intreast me.

So I sent it back – the 433mhz used by lightwave allows for fantastic range, and goes through walls much easier.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

i’m pretty sure i read it was now on the higher band…
    but with 2-way it shouldn’t be an issue as they can wait for an ACK and re-send if not received etc

bellissimo says:

bellissimo
    Participant

HomeKit requires two way comms, otherwise it won’t be certified by Apple. LWRF had no option but to add new hardware to facilitate this, so it can’t be retrofitted to existing kit. The fact you can hack the HomeKit link with a Raspberry Pi is irrelevant. LWRF is a proper company and has to follow Apple’s rules.

I am also baffled as to why people expect existing kit to forever be upgradable by software to support all new features. A company would soon go out of business if they followed this model, even if it was possible (which it isn’t).

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

HomeKit requires two way comms, otherwise it won’t be certified by Apple. LWRF had no option but to add new hardware to facilitate this, so it can’t be retrofitted to existing kit. The fact you can hack the HomeKit link with a Raspberry Pi is irrelevant. LWRF is a proper company and has to follow Apple’s rules.

I am also baffled as to why people expect existing kit to forever be upgradable by software to support all new features. A company would soon go out of business if they followed this model, even if it was possible (which it isn’t).

I expected as much – makes perfect sense really.

bellissimo says:

bellissimo
    Participant

I think it is good to see that LWRF are still investing heavily. The competition has increased greatly, but I still haven’t seen any other switches that look as good as theirs. The new features will take them to the next level, but I will wait to see on the pricing first.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

yes – i’m very pleased that they have progressed to a new generation – would love to know if there is a roadmap for other new products and features

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant
     h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

I asked about the Gen2 wireless protocol on twitter last night as wanted to know if they were mesh or point-to-point..

LightwaveRF said: “Our products are point to point and all proprietary, they are not compatible with zwave or zigbee”

I need to find out if the new switches can receive the old 433MHz too, otherwise the mood switches won’t work..

Donk says:

Donk
    Participant

It doesn’t look as if the gen 2 products are going to be in white either. All look metal.

stephentheengineer
    Participant

Apple users should have realised by now that they need to have bottomless pockets.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.