Generation 2 has just been announced…

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Generation 2 has just been announced…

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  stephentheengineer 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
     h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

details here: https://www.lightwaverf.com/generation-2/

simonw500 says:

simonw500
    Participant

Can someone please confirm what the advertised all-new feature of “Wire-free 2-way switching” refers to? Thanks.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

I assume it means that the new dimmers negate the need for physical wires between the master and slave.

Austinbutcher says:

Austinbutcher
    Participant

I just spoke to LightwaveRF on the phone and you will need to replace all your hardware if you want the HomeKit features to work. WTF! Switches sockets the lot. It’s a joke I’m not a happy customer.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

I see a lot of people saying they aren’t happy because they now need to upgrade… but i guess the flip-side to that is the existing product did work as advertised..

I’d like to know more about the new stuff – are they using some kind of mesh protocol, or is it just to-way point-to-point?

Austinbutcher says:

Austinbutcher
    Participant

I have never had any problems. I don’t mind changing just the hub, but all the swithes and sockets just for HomeKit it going to put most people off.

I was going to get a HomePod and sell my Amazon gear but I will stick with Alexa now.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Quite shocked to actually see the comments here and on FB. How on earth did people fall under the belief that devices developed nearly a decade ago were going to be HK compatible?
    LWRF were quizzed on this subject years ago when the HK announcement was made, and they were very open with the fact new devices would be needed, how couldn’t they be when current ones have no transmission ability.

simonw500 says:

simonw500
    Participant

I assume it means that the new dimmers negate the need for physical wires between the master and slave.

Thanks, though is this a new feature? I thought LWRF had this already (admittedly coming from someone who has never got round to installing a master/slave setup!).

Austinbutcher says:

Austinbutcher
    Participant

LOL if a raspberry Pi can do it then LightwaveRF could make a hub to do the same. I’m happy to change the hub but not the whole system.

I don’t think you should be shocked at peoples response. The new lightwave hub will still work with the old system but just not with HomeKit. I’m sure apple will be putting some restrictions on lightwave maybe for security reason, but I have never had any problems.

I only installed my system this year and it was not made clear that the new system would need new switches and sockets. I would have just waited.

simonw500 says:

simonw500
    Participant

My (other) question/thoughts would be, rather than getting upset that all new kit is required for HomeKit compatibility, would the new hub on its own, and/or with a few new additional devices, give any additional functionality?

Personally I’m a long way from feeling the need to replace *all* my LWRF kit, however I’d happily buy a new hub and take it from there.. I think Apple HomeKit in general still has a few more years to mature until such ££££ considerations become necessary.

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Personally, I haven’t bought a single device since the new 2nd gen 2 way devices and hub were hinted at even though I have plenty of scope for expansion. It’s been a long wait and without wishing to antagonise, anyone who has bought gen1 products knowing that gen2 are around the corner quite frankly has more money than sense.

Austinbutcher says:

Austinbutcher
    Participant

Reply from Lightwave

“Unfortunately our current range of lighting and power control devices does not meet the requirements that Apple stipulates for HomeKit compatibility.”

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

Which is near enough exactly what they said 2 years ago, and why it has taken 2 years to develop them.

Current devices will still work with the new Link Plus as they do today, but they won’t work through the HK app on an iPhone.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

what i’m more interested in is what else will they implement with the 2-way comms??

Will we be able to have more complicated rules set up?

for example, i
    - I have a light that switches on to 50% at dusk…
    - but if im already home and its already at 100%, then it dimms to 50 at dusk!
    - would be nice to have a rule that says “if not already on, then switch on to 50% at dusk”…

mikem says:

mikem
    Participant

2 Way refers to the ability for devices to both transmit and receive. Currently, LightwaveRF devices are ‘dumb’- you can tell a device to go to a state but cannot tell if it has done it. Or find what the current state is. Thus you cannot rely on an action being followed.
    Many (if not most) home automation devices are now 2 way- and you can ask the state of them. They typically use wifi to operate, and mostly do not need a hub (or link) at all.
    LightwaveRF have always had an excellent appearance, but inferior operation (dumb and non-standard protocols etc.) It was inevitable that they would join the IoT eventually. And, being Lightwave, it was always going to be s*l*o*w. I will be interested at the prices- you can get a wifi switch for as little as £4, so the hardware is cheap.
    IMHO the current devices are in the wrong place- take lighting, rather than put the control in the switch it should be in the ceiling rose. It then has the neutral available and does not have to ‘steal’ power from the in-line device. You still have the wiring to the switch, and it can still work. Saves carving out a deeper box to take the thick Lightwave switch. And is sooo much cheaper. And all your light switches look the same. These cheap wifi switches work with Alexa too…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.