I previously said:
Alexa is working nicely with both Gen1 and Gen2 Devices
I wish to take this back now!!!
Alexa seems OK on Link-Plus for Gen2 devices
For Gen1 devices on the Link-Plus there is a serious problem with the implementation.
The issue appears to be that the have implemented Gen1 devices in the new skill as being two-way (like Gen2 devices)
This means the state of being ‘on’ or ‘off’ is being fed into Alexa – but this is a “fake” state – the system can not know if a gen1 device is ‘on’ or ‘off’.
If a light (or socket) is ‘On’, but Alexa thinks it is currently ‘Off’, then saying “Alexa, turn light Off” is ignored!!! (you have to ask it to be turned ‘on’, then ‘off’ to fix it)
This also means turning a room off doesn’t work correctly, as any device it thinks is on will not be asked to turn off.
If you use an old link with Gen1 devices, this is not a problem as the controls in the Alexa app are different – no “fake” state is maintained.
It’s clear this is fixable – they just need to present Gen1 and Gen2 devices differently to Alexa – I’ve asked them on twitter if they realise this..
Updated my list of features and bugs/issues now v1.2.6 is out:
+ Gen2 Sockets and Dimmers can be controlled from the App
– Gen1 Sockets and Dimmers can be controlled, but the App maintains a “fake” on off state which often results in two presses to correctly change a device state.
+ a “long press” on device brings up additional options (brightness, switch locking, configuration, renaming)
+ Devices can be marked as “Favourites”
+ Sockets can display that they are in use (via tiny text/icon accessible from long-press device menu)
– Power usage monitoring for appliances plugged into sockets not yet implemented
+ First tab of App shows your favourite devices in a single panel for quick access
+ Rooms can be created and named (e.g. “Bedroom”)
+ Devices can be assigned to “Rooms”
– You cannot perform a function to a Room (such as all Devices on/off or set the equivalent of a mood/scene)
+ Zones can be created and named (e.g. “Upstairs”)
– Rooms should then be assigned to “Zones” – This does not work currently, rooms will not stick in a zone when requested
– You cannot perform a function to a Zone (such as all Rooms on/off or set the equivalent of a mood/scene)
+ Automations allow basic “switch this on/off at this time” based on time/dusk/dawn
+ Automations are now editable
+ Automations can be clicked on to execute them (can be instant on press, or extra confirmation step set in “settings”)
- Dusk/dawn still doesn’t have +/- time like before
- Timed Delays not implemented (so can’t easily do slow sun-rise on lights for waking up)
- Random Delays not implemented (would be useful for occupancy simulation)
- Triggers from other devices being switched not yet implemented (though can be done via homekit)
+ App supports small or large tile size
+ Gen2 devices appear to be working OK so far
- Gen1 devices have a bug caused as “fake” on/off state is maintained, this causes commands to fail if alexa thinks devices are already in the state you request.
* Unknown, website claims compatibility
“Apple Home Kit”:
+ Only Gen2 devices are reported into the Homekit app
+ Appears to work well
+ Device states are reported
+ Automations allow you to trigger actions from a switch/socket being controlled
+ Scenes can be set to control multiple devices at once
– Website cliams support, but only the old ‘link’ is supported currently
– No Support yet via https://manager.lightwaverf.com/
– API so 3rd party developers can integrate support
“Gen 2 Hardware”:
+ Single and Dual Dimmers are available
+ Dual Plug Sockets are available
– Two-Way switching for Lights not yet implemented (website says coming December 2017)
– No Relays, Wireless Switches, Mood Switches, plug in sockets/switches, PIRs etc
App Version History:
1.2.6 – (new) Support for larger tile sizes, (new) Execute automations, (new) Update automations
1.2.4 – (new) Improved link plus linking process, (new) Display of sockets in use
1.2.3 – (bug) fix for editing rooms and zones
1.2.2 – (bug) Fixed issue on linking link plus
1.2.1 – (new) Rooms and zones, (bug) Improvement of device states
1.1.2 – (new) Time based automations, (bug) Various bug fixes and performance improvements for linking devices
1.0.5 – (bug) Bug on linking devices after linking Link Plus, (bug) UI Improvements, (new) Support for Relays
1.0.3 – (new) First release
v1.2.9 is out, what happened to 1.2.7 and 1.2.8?!
App Version History:
1.2.9 – (bug) Fix for moving room into different zone, (bug) Fix for product names replaced by device names
“Rooms” now move into “zones” as requested (unlike before).
I’ve stuck bedrooms into an “Upstairs” zone, and have the living room and kitchen in the “Downstairs” Zone.
Other than for neatness, the zones and rooms are all a bit pointless at the moment, you cant perform an action on a room or zone…
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.