Gen 2 released today – who is going to upgrade?

LightwaveRF Communi… > Forum > General LightwaveRF… > Gen 2 released toda… > Page 3

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Gen 2 released today – who is going to upgrade?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  foxy82 1 day ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
     Grunthos says:

Grunthos
    Participant

If we club together and buy Daz Kuffs some gen 2 kit, maybe he can give us an app that works :)

Allan says:

Allan
    Participant

Ok my single gang switch starter kit is all up and running, have to agree the app is not good and as already discussed elsewhere there is no Alexa support which is disappointing.

It’s currently dimming a couple of Enlite EN-DGU005 quite happily with smooth dimming, and a Wickes dimmable filament bulb. The wickes bulb was a gamble and works ok above 50% brightness, below that it flickers.

Homekit integration worked fine, can add scenes/timers and so on.

LWRF app issues noted so far: IOS10.3.3
    Using the LWRF app on other IOS devices, it’s asking to link the devices again?
    When you change “brightness” and then select “switch” and back to “brightness” the slider stops working.
    When you change “brightness” and then go back to “switch” the light is sometimes showing off when it’s on.

Other: hub light is way too bright.

Early days but reasonably happy so far.

Allan says:

Allan
    Participant

Also much preferred the old style twin led design, the new single led is again too bright for me and looks cheap. The Red “off” state is much redder than before and now resembles a neon that you get on a switched isolator in the kitchen, I wonder if that’s why we didn’t see any images pre release of the “off state”.

I’m wondering if it could be dulled down by some careful application of tinted tape, or even a Black sharpie or similar, would need to be done very accurately to look any good.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

Yeh i find the lights on my Gen2 plug socket very bright – certainly would be no good in a bedroom.
    Perhaps if the devs read these comments they may look at dimming them a bit if they can? (hopefully it is controllable)
    Do we know if anyone from LWRF lurks here?

McDazzle says:

McDazzle
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve upgraded, if that’s the right word :)
    The biggest issue for me is the lack of heating schedules. Luckily it’s not been too cold recently! The old app doesn’t work & the new app doesn’t have any functionality to set heating schedules.

I though I could use the Apple Home app to control my thermostat, but although I can manually set a target temperature the automated schedules just don’t work.

Has anyone managed to get automated heating schedules to work via the Apple Home app? Or do I just have to wait for the Lightwave app to be improved?

Allan says:

Allan
    Participant

Can’t specifically help with your question McDazzle, as I have Honeywell Lyric stats. The schedules are running on the stats themselves, but I can control and set scenes on the homekit app without problem.

Allan says:

Allan
    Participant

Do we know if anyone from LWRF lurks here?

I wondered that, their missing out on some great feedback if their not.

Pete1989 says:

Pete1989
    Participant

As someone who’s going to be using Alexa, what advantages does Gen2 offer me? Seems like it’s 80% HomeKit and that’s it?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

As someone who’s going to be using Alexa, what advantages does Gen2 offer me? Seems like it’s 80% HomeKit and that’s it?

Gen2 could still potentially offer you a whole lot more..

Gen1 Link literally just barks commands and hopes for the best that switches/dimmers hear it correctly
    Gen2 Link and Devices are two way – so commands could be acknowledged, statuses checked and could lead to powerful conditional logic.

With Gen2, things could become possible such as:
    - Status checking..”Alexa, is my bathroom light on?”
    - Potentially linking Alexa with IFTTT to do conditional logic, If i say X to Alexa, and Y is already on, then only turn Z on etc..
    - The Lightwave app could be updated with conditional logic in the future.. hopefully enabling things like “if dusk time is reached, but people are already home as lights are already manually turned on, then don’t activate the usual dusk time event as that would confuse the people in the lounge”
    - having Gen2 also should help future proof integration with other gadgets and services hopefully..

btidey says:

btidey
    Participant

This is all potentially true that Gen2 could offer more than Gen1, but unfortunately, that relies on Lightwaverf software development getting their act together.

In my experience the software development side of Lightwaverf is its weakest point, so I would not hold my breath on that one.

One possible advantage of Gen2 may be the protocol used. The Gen1 version is pretty simplistic and easily hacked. It will be interesting to see if that has been addressed.

I have not had any issues with the reliability of Gen1 one way transmission and although two way / status would be nice, it is not a critical issue for me. If I’m worried I left the bathroom light on, then I just turn it off anyway, and use timers to clean up automatically anyway.

Gen2 is considerably more expensive than Gen1 and that would have put me off if I was starting again. The original attraction of Lightwaverf was that it looked good at a reasonable price and functioned reasonably well. I think some of that advantage has been lost now and there are other options available now.

darkmutton says:

darkmutton
    Participant

McDazzle I’ve got Gen2 working on all of my TRV’s, well when I say working I mean they communicate to each other and come on and off. The problem being that they only do it when they want to and at random, even with Homekit timers programmed. If anyone wants to come and have a look bring some shorts, it’s like the Bahamas’ in here!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.