Gen 2 released today – who is going to upgrade?

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Gen 2 released today – who is going to upgrade?

This topic contains 41 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  foxy82 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
     don63 says:

don63
    Participant

So today is the big day that generation 2 kit is available to purchase. Is anybody going to upgrade their kit?

For me, my existing setup has worked very well. I do get the occasional missed event, that two-way status would fix, and the integration with homekit will be nice.

I will be investing in a gradual upgrade at some point. For me cost of upgrading is just a natural part of the modern world. Compare it to my mobile phone, and I accept that I will upgrade that every 2 years whilst recouping some of the cost through ebay. What will hold me back for now is that I have quite a few relays and wireless switches and I’d really want to see a timeframe for when the gen-2 relays will be available.

Perhaps we can make this a discussion around upgrading and feedback from the early adopters?

Don

sarren says:

sarren
    Participant

Hi – I’m in the middle of an extension and have been holding out for generation 2, but I see only the link, single gang dimmer and double gang socket are available at the moment.

I’ll likely have to install some of gen 1 products initially as there doesn’t seem to be any clarity on the time for future products e.g. in-line relays, 4 gang dimmers, slave dimmers etc.

Be great if any early adopters can share their thoughts on integration of gen 1 and gen 2 products.

darkmutton says:

darkmutton
    Participant

My initial thoughts are its a piece of Sh&t, I cant get anything working, nearly an hr on the phone to get through to tech support, the apple app is not ready yet so you cant find it on the app store, everything is currently a joke!!

markk says:

markk
    Participant

I love my current LWRF light and power switches and have no plans to change. I use a raspberry pi and domoticz with mine. Since uploading a script to fire all commands three times instead of just once I’ve never had a command miss. Can’t wait to see some of the gen 1 stuff going for a reasonable price second hand actually.

Running RFXCom with Domoticz on raspberry pi3. LWRF dimmer switches, PIRs and plug sockets. Some Homeeasy switches, harmony hub controlling AV and air con. Geofencing with Pilot app. Tado for heating and cooling.
     darkmutton says:

darkmutton
    Participant

Well this is day 3 trying to resolve my issues with a Gen2 link plus hub. If it’s not sorted today then I’m not wasting anymore time, it will be boxed up and sent back!!

sarren says:

sarren
    Participant

@darkmutton – that’s worrying. I was looking at buying the Gen2 hub and some gen1 kit as my builders will need things in the next couple of weeks, then slowly upgrade over time. But if there are issues with the Gen2, I may just stick with the earlier model.

Do let us know how you get on

Alan Bennett says:

Alan Bennett
    Participant

Just set up my Link Plus only to find that the app has no option for linking theLW821 inline relay. Contacted Lightwaverf who said in coming but dont know when. So my blinds are stuck open. Oh dear

Node Zero says:

Node Zero
    Participant

That’s just bloody ridiculous of them to have forgotten to include the gen1 O/S/C relay as a device type in the new app.
    The relay will pair as an ON/OFF device to give you operation while they sort their act out.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

Well, I’m in the middle of decorating a room, so have ordered the starter kit with the new link, a socket and a light switch.. will see how it goes!

sarren says:

sarren
    Participant

Argh! h3mp – let us know how you get on. I need to order some kit in the next couple of weeks for our build, but concerned that the relays don’t work with the gen 2 Hub

nkpritchard says:

nkpritchard
    Participant

WARNING. do not purchase Gen2 products yet!

I just took delviery gen2 hub a socket and lightswitch. Hardware if ok but limited number of devices. The software is a disaster. The app is a leap back to first generation school homework project . It doesn’t work, you home set will be broken.

Their support desk is overwhelmed so you won’t be up and running for some time.

The app has no way to set events, timers, rooms or anything you see in the current gen1 app. You can’t delete devices, mine app and account are now broken. Error messages are vague and don’t fit in the message boxes.

So buyer beware. Wait till they get things sorted or you will be very unhappy.

lonebaggie says:

lonebaggie
    Participant

Much too expensive , slowly replacing my lightwaverf kit with this

https://uk.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_659225.html

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html

Two way Zigbee. I am already running the hub and sensors . Kit runs in Domoticz, Smartthngs Home assistant and Homey

Light switches are two wire no neutral. The native app is miles better than Lightwaverf even if some of it, is still Chinese !

Sorry version 2 is too little too late

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

Why the flip have they done a new app for gen2!?!?! That is very worrying, surely any sane company would have added features to their existing app, I’m now worried that this is sounding incompetent from that fact alone

mentalmike says:

mentalmike
    Participant

Much too expensive , slowly replacing my lightwaverf kit with this

https://uk.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_659225.html

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_610096.html

Two way Zigbee. I am already running the hub and sensors . Kit runs in Domoticz, Smartthngs Home assistant and Homey

Light switches are two wire no neutral. The native app is miles better than Lightwaverf even if some of it, is still Chinese !

Sorry version 2 is too little too late

What switches would you recommend?

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

like nkpritchard, i too have ordered a hub/socket/switch – hopefully they will say its on its way shortly – will update you all with how it goes the second i get to play with it..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.