Gen 2. Does app have discrete on/off buttons, or just 'power toggle'

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Gen 2. Does app have discrete on/off buttons, or just 'power toggle'

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AndreWilley 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
     AndreWilley says:

AndreWilley
    Participant

I read somewhere that with Gen-2 devices, the app only provides a power toggle function, rather than discrete On and Off controls. I assume this is not true, as if it was how could you create events to turn lights on or off at a particular time regardless of their current state? I thought I’d better check before wasting any money on new kit for our new house though.

Andre

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

the main button in the software is a toggle (it shows you the current state, then pressing the main button will flip to the opposite state)
    if you long-press the button, you then get extra options (like brightness level for dimmers)
    the underlying software has all the seperate states, so for events you chose on or off etc…
    there is no issue with gen 2 in this regard,,,

The toggle issue you are thinking of is using gen1 devices with gen2 hubs…
    gen1 devices provide no feedback, so the software cannot know the current state, so the main apps’ toggle buttons are as good as a chocolate teapot for gen1 devices..

Greg66 says:

Greg66
    Participant

I read somewhere that with Gen-2 devices, the app only provides a power toggle function, rather than discrete On and Off controls. I assume this is not true, as if it was how could you create events to turn lights on or off at a particular time regardless of their current state? I thought I’d better check before wasting any money on new kit for our new house though.

Andre

This isn’t an issue in automations in Gen II. You set the automation to turn a light on at the specific time, and if it is off it turns it on; if it is already on it leaves it on. Same with off.

AndreWilley says:

AndreWilley
    Participant

Ugh, I hate toggle power buttons. If you tap them twice, they reverse the operation. I use discrete power functions on all my AV equipment with my universal remote, otherwise stuff would be turning on and off all over the place!

All I want is an ON button that turns something on no matter how many times I press it, and an OFF button that turns it off no matter how many times I press it. Oh, and ideally no ALL OFF buttons either – they are really annoying in room pages, especially with power switches, if you catch the button by accident (which is very easy to do on phone screen touch interfaces).

And yes, I will have some Gen-1 light switches and plug-in power switches brought over from our current house. I guess I’d better just buy some more Gen 1 kit.

Andre

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.