Gen 2 dimmers are SUPER SLOW to manually hold and dim to desired level

LightwaveRF Community: Welcome Forums General LightwaveRF Discussion Gen 2 dimmers are SUPER SLOW to manually hold and dim to desired level

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  h3mp 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
     marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

Hiya

I find the gen 2 dimmers extremely slow to manually dim to a desired level, up or down. However, controlling the same dimmer from HomeKit or from the LightwaveRF app is extremely fast.

I can’t believe nobody else has posted about this. And also stunned LW haven’t come up with a solution for this.

So far I’ve bought a starter kit of one single gang dimmer and hub. I’m so disappointed with the performance, it’s stopped me spending another £2.5K with LightwaveRF to kit out the rest of my house.

Why am I the first to post this? Reason I’m asking is it’s a deal-breaker for me so far.

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

I completely agree – they are annoying slow to dim!

miken says:

miken
    Participant

It’s not just the Gen 2 dimmers.
    I only have Gen 1 v2 dimmers (i.e.400, rather than 200 series) and they are also tediously slow going up or down the range using the dimmer switch itself. To the extent that I’ve now added mood switches next to most dimmers so I can go instantly to the required level.

In fact, I was thinking of replacing all my dimmer switches with inline dimmers (in ceiling and hidden), so I’d only have mood switched on top of my old switch plate, rather than a dimmer switch and a mood switch next to it.

But, that’s all Gen 1 stuff, no inline dimmers for Gen 2 are there.

marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

Anyone else with this issue? Is it for all gen 2 dimmers? Or only certain scenarios?

Do the LightwaveRF team monitor these forums? How do we raise this with senior stakeholders/staff at LWRF?

nevetsecirp says:

nevetsecirp
    Participant

I am sure LWRF staff no longer view this forum. However they view the everything lightwaverf facebook page so could raise it there.
    I only have Gen 1 dimmers so cannot comment on Gen 2, however surely the dim cycle is a personal choice is where someone will say it is too slow and someone else will say its too fast. I personally find the dimming cycle a nice touch.
    Also don’t the type of lamps used have an effect?

LWRF light switches in several rooms, WIFI Link, Energy Monitor, Socket x3 and multiple On/Off adapters. PIR controlling lights and doorbell utilising light feature. TRV's for heating. Relays for garden and outside lamps Linked with Amazon Alexa via a dot
     marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

Hey hey

Thanks for your response. Good to know about the staff and the FB page.
    When I get home this evening, I’l record a video of the dimming and post back. You can see what you think.

marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

OK, so here’s a video of the single gang Gen 2 dimmer last night. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u827m2fyg3tmk9/2018-11-22%2017.10.36.mov?dl=0

The house is being renovated so this dimmer has moved a week or two ago from one wall to another, hence the chasing out and lack of access.

First I double tap to turn on maximum.
    Then I double tap to turn off maximum.
    Then I hold to dim up – THAT’S THE PROBLEM. I just played the video (twice, as first time it was buffering) and I make it 4-5 seconds to start dimming, which is just unacceptable, both manual up and down.

I will wait for replies here for 24-48 hours and then if nothing, as suggested, put this on the FB page to see if I get more traction.

Danny1207 says:

Danny1207
    Participant

Yeah must admit that the Gen 1 system that I had in my old house was slow to dim and looks like they have not addressed the problem in the Gen 2 kit. I have moved house now and are planning the new system but looking about it seems that LWRF have only introduced Sockets and Dimmer switches to the Gen 2 range.

What are the alternatives that people are using? I need to start buying a system gradually but don’t want to start building a system that is going to be ripped out for something new in a couple of years.

Danny

Lightwave'd up to the max but not ventured into heating yet ?
     marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

Sorry, I forgot to post on here – I raised this directly with LightwaveRF themselves, including sending them videos.

They are discussing internally and will come back to me. I’ll post more, when I know more.

chiswick says:

chiswick
    Participant

I also have the SMART (Gen2) lightswitch and yes it is quite slow but I’ve got used to it and not really a deal breaker for me personally. I had to manually calibrate mine and am therefore wondering if that may be the reason for the lag….?

marky_uk says:

marky_uk
    Participant

Hey chiswick

OK.

I have heard back from the team at LightwaveRF and although they recognise this is an issue that needs sorting, it’s down the priority list as so few people have complained so far.

I said I would try and work out a way to garner interest to get this bumped up their roadmap. I’m not sure what percentage of the LightwaveRF purchasers of Gen2 products know of, and use, this forum – but here’s hoping it’ll get bumped up.

If you think this is an issue, please post here!

h3mp says:

h3mp
    Participant

(Holds both hands up)…

Also, when you use 2-way switching on gen2, controlling from the ‘master’ is normally (slow), controlling from the ‘slave’-configured side is not a great experience..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.